I'm certainly not giving up on bearing a child (or two), but I am coming to terms with the fact that a larger family may not be possible for us without adoption. And I am totally okay with this. What I'm still struggling to come to terms with is the idea that I may never give birth, ever. It's kind of interesting; for the longest time I've believed that I would adopt. In my head, the plan was a family of four or five little ones and then adopt a little boy from Africa and/or a little girl from Asia.
So if it was always part of the plan, why am I balking at the idea of starting our family via adoption? Well, there are several reasons:
- I don't think we'd pass a home inspection right now. We have no income, none, at all. We are living off student loans. Even if I had a job, I don't think we'd make it. They want stable families not jobless people living with their parents. It will be at least 8 months until we are a 2 income family. I may be naive, but I think we can move on with IVF sooner than that.
- I want a baby. This is kind of selfish, but I want my first child to be a baby. I mean a baby-baby. I want him/her skin to skin one millisecond after he/she is born. I've never thought about or looked into domestic adoption. That wasn't part of "the plan". But I do know that with international adoption, we wouldn't get a baby-baby. Only 25% of international adoptions are less than a year old. The youngest are typically 4-6 months old. I can't explain why, but those months seem more critical to me with my first child.
- I feel like being"forced" into adoption takes away from the ministry of adoption. (Pleeaasseee hear me: this is a personal feeling. I don't direct these feelings onto anyone else adopting. This is just how I feel about adopting for our family. Please don't be offended.) Since I was super young and first "planned" on adopting, my reason was to do for one what I would love to do for so many. But I also always felt that by adopting (particularly children that don't look like my family) I would be given an amazing opportunity over and over again to explain why we chose to adopt. The answer would be Jesus plain and simple every time. Adoption would still be so beautiful no doubt about it, and the story of love would still be there, but if I can't say, I could have had more children on my own, but I chose to adopt, I will just feel like my testimony is diminished. (My issue, not yours. Again, I don't project these feelings onto other adopters no matter the circumstance.)
- I want my child to feel wanted. Along the same lines as item #3, I worry that if I'm "forced" to adopt, that the child might later feel less wanted. Is that crazy? It seems to me, that if I can tell the child that we started out family in the traditional way, but that we wanted him/her so much to complete our family, that we set out to find him/her and bring him/her home, they'll feel wanted. But if I have to tell the child that I desperately wanted a child and couldn't have one, and so we had to adopt, well that seems like an easy leap for a hurting child to the idea of "I'm second best". And that would break my heart!
- Husband and I aren't on the same page. No matter what my hang-ups and hesitations are about adoption, I feel one hundred percent justified in saying we aren't moving forward until we are on the same page. Sam has his own issues with adoption; most of which are different than mine. Even if I was 100% on board and wanted to skip IVF and move ahead with adoption, I wouldn't feel good about it because Sam doesn't feel ready. I don't think adoption is something you pursue if only one person is ready.
Even if we end up adopting before we get pregnant, I still think we will want to try for at least one birth child. I may change my mind, but for now, that is my hunch. I've always felt like adoption is such a beautiful way of showing Christ's love and carrying out his commandment to "look after orphans and widows in their distress" (James 1:27). I still feel that way, but when I got married to Sam, it suddenly became vastly more important that I have his children. Why is this? I'm not sure. Maybe a little one to snuggle with would remove this "need" but right now, I couldn't really care less if the child is genetically related to me, but I do want to carry it, and I do want it to be related to Sam.
So there you have it: we are currently a jumbled up mess of emotions and feelings and thoughts on adoption. Obviously we need to do a lot of research and a lot of talking to each other and to others who have adopted. We need to do a lot of praying and a lot of soul searching, but for now this is where we stand.
Well said, Amanda. Just one reflective comment. . .when we adopted, we had that sense of family that we had longed for and the attitude of "trying" for a birth child was not so much a part of the mindset--then nature and more of God's control took over and along came the birth child--the answer to our prayers that came in God's time. God and His miracles never cease to amaze me!
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your transparency and honesty on this post!! I just know that God has awesome plans for y'all, whether it is adoption or your own baby and when you fully seek Him He will reveal His plan :)
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I just started following you not too long ago but this post is exactly what we have been going thru in the past few weeks and I could not agree more! We have always talked about adoption but want to have one or two of our own first. Now we wait and see because these are our plans and not God's plan.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI am new to blogging. (since this summer) and it never occured to me to keep my blog a secret from people I know IRL. It was a way for us to connect to family and friends. I have wondered if that was a poor choice sometimes. But I liked what you said about being real :D
I can understand your feelings about adoption.