When we initially started trying, I drug him to baby stores, asked him endless questions about names, and generally drove him bonkers with my what if scenarios (what if we have four girls in a row, do we try for a boy or adopt a boy? OR what if it's twins? OR what if he/she is born on Christmas? when will we celebrate birthdays?). Then when we started treatment, I plagued him with a million possibilities. I read research to him every night. I was relentless in my thirst for information and I assumed he would be the same. When he finally told me he was sick of all of the baby talk, I shut up about it. The conscious decision to watch my words around him and my unconscious decision to stop planning for what we may never have has led us to a place where we honestly don't talk about pregnancy, babies, etc all that much. If he tells me someone is pregnant, I give the ol' shoot myself in the head sign and we move on. There doesn't seem to be a lot of purpose in rehashing what has already been said. I can't find a valid reason to tell him how sad or frustrated or angry or worried I am about our situation… nothing has changed, it's been said before. It's become an understood: I'm sad we can't have a baby. I want a baby. We're going to save money for a baby.
Since I don't talk about it all that much, and choose to internalize or let it out via this little blog, I often forget that he might be dealing with a lot too. I don't know about any of you, but my husband it the epitome of the
Sam shared this article with me the other night. It's a great article about what a husband goes through during infertility. I think all too often, our culture assumes the woman is the primary one affected, because she is the one taking pills, receiving shots, etc. Even when the infertility is 100% male related, even in the most severe cases, it is almost always the woman who will be the one to take the medications, grow the follicles, undergo IVF, bruise from so many blood draws, and spend countless hours at the doctor. The man shows up for his one assigned appointment, does his bit, and it's over. So everyone assumes he's not as acutely invested in the process. I'm guilty of this myself. I figure if you don't talk about it, cry about it, research what to do about it, etc then it must not be too high on your priority list. But maybe that's not the case. He did find the article. He did pass it along. Maybe my husband, maybe all of the husband's are more aware and affected by what's going on than they appear.
If you read the article, you'll see that they make the argument that many husband's are blindsided by the issue of infertility. Women at least hear about infertility, they know of someone's someone who had to do X to conceive, but guys don't generally talk about that. So when it comes time for a doctor to lay it all out there, it's a shock, it's unbelievable, it's impossible, it's demeaning, it's humiliating, it's JUST TOO MUCH! Even if the infertility problem relies 100% with the woman, the man often feels a sense of failure. He can't impregnate his wife. He's subjected to jokes like, "are you sure you know what you're doing?". It's simply a situation that can knock the legs out from under them... it's a low blow directly to his manliness.
I'll be honest and say that I don't have a great solution here. I guess every guy is different, and you've got to do what works for your husband. The only solution in my head currently to fix what might be ailing my sweet husband is to get pregnant so he can forget about it all (for a time).
What do you do when your husband is down and out? How do you handle his disappointment?
I'm guilty of forgetting about this part too. We just assume as women that it's just us in our crazy IF world but our men have their ego's and need to fix things. I know they feel failure as much as we do but they aren't as vocal about it. The DH and I talk about it often and we just know we are doing all we can and pray for a baby all of the time. It's just all in God's hands :)
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great post Amanda and so important to remember that our husbands go through all this kind of stuff too! My DH isn't very vocal about his feelings through all of treatments. I'm going to have to pass that article along to him.
ReplyDeleteSuch a good topic to bring to awareness! My husband sounds like yours! His emotions don't fluctuate. He is also the most positive person ever. Never sees the negative in anything or anyone. Same thing with this journey. He is just super hopeful and encouraging. Sometimes I just want to shake him and tell him to get mad ;) hehe! Ill have to check out the article when I'm back at home!
ReplyDeleteLoved that article! Thank you for sharing it!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great article - thanks for sharing! Ugh, infertility is so hard. Sometimes, I feel like the hardest part is knowing that it's not just affecting me... but that it's affecting my husband, too. I could see it on his face on Sunday night when we found out friends of ours are officially expecting baby #2. It's so hard to see THEM upset :(
ReplyDeleteGreat post and great article. I know I'm guilty of forgetting my husband is also suffering, although differently than me it doesn't mean infertility doesn't affect him too. Thanks for reminding us :)
ReplyDeleteI often forget that my husband is going through this too!! That's a great article!! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteAndrew is usually Mr. Nothing-gets-me-down. I have very rarely seen him struggle with our infertility journey (besides our miscarriages). Sometimes that's nice and sometimes I just want him to cry along with me.
ReplyDeleteI have been trying to summarize my thoughts on this exact topic. I could talk about babies, our cycle, fertility, etc 24/7. Him? Not so. I recently went cray-cray on my hubby because he never talks about it, never asks how I'm feeling being shot up with drugs, and just doesn't seem to think about it much. But I think it's more that I talk about it enough for the both of us :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing that article because I am one of those who forgets DH is suffering as well. Just because men arent as open about it I believe that is the reason they are affected a bit more. They keep it all inside and think if they dont talk about it it will go away.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post and reminder that our husbands may not show it but they are suffering too. A is also the silent, stoic type. With my hubby, he just needs time when he's down. Also a distraction helps. Doing something he enjoys like a bike ride.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great article! Thank you for bringing it to my (our) attention!
ReplyDelete