Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Retrieval

If the abundant like of wit and creativity in the blog title didn't clue you in, today has been rough. I'm not witty, or creative, or really 100% here right now. I've been trapped in a sort of fog... cotton in my head and a lack of neurons successfully crossing the synaptic gap... that's been my day. But I wanted to get a post together to let everyone know that I'm alive and that thankfully I'm feeling better. I credit my long awaited for bowl of Rice Krispies for the improvements.

You may remember from May that I was terrified of the anesthesia needed for the laparoscopy. Like lose my mind once-and-for-all kind of terrified. And that surgery and the anesthesia ended up fine. I woke up, felt mostly normal, took a percocet because I was afraid of pain and slept for about 4 hours. Everything I did that day (drink ginger ale, eat saltines, take pain meds) was from fear of what could be rather than an actual need. So going in to today, I was nervous, but I kept telling myself if I can survive deep anesthesia and full intubation, I could survive this. Well, I survived and that's about all that can be said for the cocktail of meds they gave me today.

It was actually harder to wake up and stay awake. I fell back asleep EVERY TIME the stupid arm cuff released me and woke up EVERY TIME that stupid thing beeped and squeezed my arm. Ughhh. I hate that thing! Everyone told me I'd want to know how many eggs they got as soon as I woke up, but I had no idea why I was even there. Thankfully, I got my favorite nurse today and she was super sweet and let me be pitiful. I knew something was different about this medicine right away because I had the shakes really bad, like almost had to get a nurse to put on my underwear because I couldn't hold my arms steady. It was soooo weird. It's a terrible thing to feel like you can't control your limbs, like your motor skills have abandoned you.

We had to drive about forty-five minutes to the beach house (we left the hotel life behind thanks to some incredibly generous people). About 15 minutes in, I started to feel really dizzy and the beginnings of nausea. By the time we made it to St. Augustine, I was miserable, but just kept telling myself not to vomit. Sam stopped to grab himself some lunch and I just stayed in the car, afraid to move, with the door open and my head in my lap. He showed back up with his Chick-fil-A and I came so close to losing it all over the car. The smell was ungodly. I never thought Chick-fil-A could insight vomit, but apparently it's possible. Somehow I made it back to the house, but that's as far as I made it. Vomit fest ensued.  I never get sick and there was nothing in me (no food since 7pm last night), but my stomach pretended not to care. After that, I crashed. I was out from 12ish to 2:30 and then from 2:45 till sometime after 5. I could have slept longer, but I made myself get up and move. It was a good choice because I've felt much more normal since then. No real cramping, spotting, or pain to complain of. I would say I feel sensitive and a little sore, but no pain. It was just the cocktail of meds that did me in today.

My nurse did tell me how many eggs (13) multiple times during recovery. She explained that though they could see 18 follicles going into the procedure, several of mine were empty. I'm thankful I was capable of just nodding that I understood at that point. It wasn't until I got in the car with Sam (they never allowed him back to recovery) that I lost it. Once again, I fully recognize that I should be over the moon with 13, but I'm not. I was (apparently) really expecting 20 eggs. Even when our follicle counts were lower than expected, so many people assured me that there are always hidden follicles, that I'd get more. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. Sometimes you get less. Thirteen obviously is the number of eggs, not necessarily mature eggs... the retrieval doctor mentioned to Sam that he was expecting around 10 mature. I spent the last three months researching and praying about what I should do with 20+ eggs. How many should I freeze as eggs, as pronuclear, as day 2, as day 5... none of that matters anymore. We obviously fertilized all of the eggs.

To say that I am disappointed would be an understatement. I go back and forth between feeling like I let us down, like my body didn't perform up to its capabilities and feeling robbed, like the protocol and the doses just didn't get what my body could offer. One moment I'm mad at myself for failing to perform and the next I'm mad that the doctors were unwilling to push me. This was supposed to be our one and only egg retrieval... one and done, that was our deal. The doubts are already creeping in though and I can hear myself making excuses for why we should try just one more time.

Despite being bummed about the retrieval, I actually am really thankful... I know that sounds weird, disappointed and thankful at the same time, but that's how I feel. Thankful to have 13 eggs that might be mature, that might fertilize successfully, that might grow and multiply well, and that might lead to a bring home baby. It's more than we've ever had before. Today we are closer than we've been in a long, long time to our dream, and for that I'm very thankful.

Obviously, my sadness and happiness teeter on a very narrow divide... everything (for now) hinges on the fertilization report. Speaking of which, I won't hear anything tomorrow. Which is crazy. I've never heard of not receiving a fertilization report the day after retrieval. Instead, my clinic gives a report on  day 2, Saturday. They kind of combine fertilization report and transfer recommendation into one day. Saturday, I'll hear how many fertilized, how they're doing, and whether they recommend a  day-3 or a day-5 transfer. It's going to be a looonnnnggg time until Saturday morning.

However, if all goes according to plan, I should have a pretty nice distraction tomorrow. Sam surprised me with this news: We're going to Disney World! Ahhhhhh! People, I'm not sure if I can adequately explain my love for Disney World.... like I could have gotten married there if my husband didn't think it was stupid... like I would happily have honeymooned there... like I ordered the vacation planning DVDs when we'd been dating for about a year to try to convince Sam that we desperately needed to go. Unfortunately, Sam doesn't share my over the top love of all things Disney. He always said we'd go once we have kids. Well people, stop the presses, but if all went well today... we've got kids. Granted, they haven't even begun cellular division, but whatever, if that distinction is enough to get me in the gates of Disney, I'll take it. I'm really hoping I feel up to it tomorrow. My nurse said I could return to normal activity tomorrow... I'm not sure if that includes the Magic Kingdom, but I really hope so!


21 comments:

  1. First, so glad you finally got those Rice Krispies! (P.S. You have this magical ability to make me crave whatever kinds of foods you write about craving, ha). I'm so sorry about the tough recovery from the anesthesia :/ I also have a really hard time processing pain meds and anesthesia, and I know that feeling when you wake up is awful. I'm also so sorry about the disappointment you're feeling. But I am still so excited for those 13 eggs, my friend! I will be praying for a great report on Saturday. And heck yeah, Disney World is an awesome way to distract yourself! Your hubby scored lots of points with that one. Fingers crossed you feel lots better in the morning. Maybe just don't ride the teacups :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at Disney tomorrow!!! I am so sorry you are so sick today. Praying for each of the 13!! Love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a bummer that you felt so bad! That reminds me of how I felt after my lap. I was so sick and so tired for days. :(
    But 13 eggs is so great! I know you were expecting more, but that's SOOO exciting!! And that hubby of yours is such a sweetie!! Have so much fun tomorrow! Try to be happy and positive and think of all the great things the future has for your family!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad all went well, but I totally know what you mean about feeling disappointment. Expectations (well, mostly them not being met) are a *#*& if you know what I mean.
    BUT, I'm hoping and praying that those 13 were mature and fertilize well and you'll be pregnant before you know it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This stuff is so hard. Disney sounds wonderful and you are indeed blessed to have a DH who surprised you with that -- have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that you got so sick and that you weren't happy with 13... I hope you have lots of fun at Disney, what a great surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First- I'm so sorry you got so sick from the retrieval meds!! That's horrible :(. The meds were the one thing I actually enjoyed about retrieval day... I almost started to look forward to that part of it!! I'm so glad you're feeling better now, though!

    Second- I so know the feelings of thankfulness and also disappointment at the same time. I normally only ended up with 4 eggs retrieved and I felt like such a huge let down but also felt hopeful and proud that I had 4 potential chances. I'm happy for you with your report of 13. Ttry to hang onto the feeling of thanks and gratitude- and let it carry you through to transfer day.

    Have fun at Disney!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of I am jealous you get to go to Disney World. I mean I've been to Disneyland but it's not as magical as Disney world. Jealous! Second, don't let the number of eggs retrieve predict your outcome. It's not a matter of quantity it's quality. I'll be praying that all 13 fertilize and you get your miracle baby(ies) on your first attempt. Hang in there Saturday will be here in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes- I'm so sorry the anesthesia hit you like that!! That sounds SUPER miserable!! I'm glad you're feeling better. I totally understand your disappointment, but I'll be praying for the 13 to make a strong showing anyway! And YAY for the DW surprise!! What a fantastic distraction!! I hope yall have a blast there!! Eat one of those caramel apples covered in nuts/candy/whatever for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many emotions... I can relate. I had over 40 follicles and only ended up with around half of those having eggs. Staying positive is hard sometimes but I had to remember that fear doesn't come from God so I rebuked it every chance I had. When you don't have the words to say or the strength just say his name, he will read your heart and know your prayers. I will be praying for you that you have a great fertilization report and you transfer 1 or 2 beautiful embryos.

    I hope you are feeling better and getting some rest. Have fun at Disney!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, that recovery sounds so rough. I hope you are feeling so much better today! I'm praying for a wonderful, amazing, spectacular fert. report. You deserve that Disney trip! I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry you felt so bad but glad you are feeling better now :) Praying for those 13, and hope they bring you a home filled with all the children you want. Have a wonderful time at Disney, such a sweet gift from your hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 13 eggs is fantastic, Amanda! There's no magic number. You will probably have 13 beautiful 2- to 6-cell embryos tomorrow! Yay. :) I hope you are feeling better from your retrieval meds, and have a blast at DISNEY WORLD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you got so sick from your retrieval. I probably shouldn't have read this right before I go under for my retrieval. Ugh! Have fun at Disneyland and hoping you get a great fert report on Sat. I'll get mine that day too. I love that we are cycling so close. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the part where you say " .....we have kids." So true. You do! And it's just a matter of time now until you are snuggling one! Hope recovery got better & disney is a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have fun at Disney!!!
    I know you were hoping for more, and I would be disappointed if I were in your shoes too. But really, 13 sounds like a lot! I hope you get a great fertilization report. Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have fun at disney and try to hang on to the positive thoughts! Right now you have 13 chances, which is way more than the number of kids (I think) you want!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Waahooo for Disney World!! Praying for your 13!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thirteen is still a great number of eggs to retrieve. Have a wonderful time at Disney World and try to have fun and I'm sure you'll get great news on the fertilization. Sorry you were so sick yesterday. Take care, I'll pray for all 13 to be fertlized! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Praying for those 13! Have fun at Disney! : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Part of me wants to reassure you and say that thirteen is an excellent number, but I don't want to invalidate your feelings of disappointment. It's all about expectations, and your expectations were more than valid. So sorry that this didn't live up to your expectations. Hoping that they are all rockstar eggs and that this is actually a blessing in disguise. Also, I got all choked up when I read that you got to go to Disneyworld! How perfect. So, so fun.

    ReplyDelete