Friday, January 31, 2014

Moving On

First of all, I just have to say thank you all so much for your comments from the last post. I guess maybe we all feel that way now and then… good to know. I got a ton of emails from ladies who don't blog but just felt that they had to share that they too had felt that way. Bless you all. I'll never take for granted the physical, in real life friends that I've been blessed with… there's nothing like a real hug. But just in case there was any doubt, Tuesday's comments sealed the deal… infertile sisters, you are my people. Infertility has molded me and changed me until I am a different person, and anyone who hasn't walked this road will never understand me, not really. It is a beautiful thing to know and be known. So thank you all for not hating me for the truth, the truth that sometimes I'm a wee bit jealous.

In case you've been living under a rock, or maybe you live in a county other than the US (I think I have a few Canadian, Australian and Russian readers), the South was hit with Snowpocalypse 2014, on Tuesday. Which means we got between trace amounts and, oh, about four inches of snow. Athens got the good part, the part that gets you out of work but not stuck for 10+ hours in your car. Have mercy. I'm the first to admit that Southerners are hilarious when it comes to snow. Like A snowflake falls and they all lose their minds, rush to the store and buy milk and bread… if I'm snowed in, I don't even want milk and bread. And really, do you mean to tell me that if by some miracle you really are trapped in your home for, I don't know, 36 hours, that you don't already have enough food to survive? So yeah, admittedly, Southerners have plenty of reasons to be made fun of in terms of Winter weather response. Tuesday was not one of those times. Atlanta and the surrounding areas failed miserably to respond appropriately, leaving thousands of people stuck on the interstates for hours. I can't even tell you how many people took to Facebook to find shelter for loved ones who ran out of gas or literally could not get past traffic accidents to get home. It was insane.

Meanwhile, the Greavus both made it home to share in a glorious day of nothing on Wednesday. Seriously, I didn't even get out of my pajamas until 6 o'clock (in the evening) and the only reason I did was because Sam wanted to go to the UGA basketball game. Then I came home and got back in my pajamas. Thank you snow. It was literally just what I needed. I wish I could say that after the day off I'm refreshed and ready to move on, but I'm not. Not really. I took the ultrasound photo of our two embryos being placed into my uterus off the refrigerator this morning…. I sobbed my eyes out. In addition to random outbursts of tears, I'm dealing with rage. Like fire breathing, steam boiling, RAGE. Like don't ask me for anything, or come in my personal space, or look at me the wrong way or I'm liable to rip your head off, RAGE. I'm 99% sure that this has to do with the loss of all of the hormones… everything plummeted along with my mood. At least that's what I'm telling myself. The only other option is that I'm possessed. I'm hoping that with the onset of a new cycle, the hormones will level out and life will continue at a slightly less volatile state. And hopefully I don't do any permanent damage before things return to normal.

Several of you have asked what our plans are for moving forward. Do we have frozen embryos? How many? What quality? When will we go back? Unfortunately, the news isn't that good in terms of our remaining embryos. I finally got the nerve to call and find out exactly what the grades are and well, I kind of wish I hadn't. If I was struggling to drum up enthusiasm over an FET before, I'm definitely going to struggle now. Here's the down low:

We had 18 visible follicles via ultrasound before retrieval.
Only 13 eggs were retrieved. (at least 5 follicles were empty)
Only 8 eggs were mature. (5 eggs were immature)
We transferred 2, grade 2, 8 and 12 cell embryos on day 3.
We have 6 embryos frozen on day 3 in groups of 2.
Group 1: grade 3, 9 and 8 cells
Group 2: grade 3, 8 and 4 cells
Group 3: grade 3, 6 and 3 cells

I know the grading part doesn't make a ton of sense. The grading system for day 3 embryos is confusing, even for people who understand blastocyst grades. It's so different. Essentially our first two (the two we transferred) were our best. They were both on track or ahead as far as cell division, all of the cells were the same size, and there was only minor fragmentation. Our remaining six embryos are either on track or behind in terms of growth, but the cells are not the same size, and there is some fragmentation. Day 3 embryos are supposed to have between 6 and 10 cells. Obviously, the 3 and 4 cell embryos are very behind. I honestly don't know what our chances are with any of the possible transfers. Maybe Dr. Duffy will have some insight at our follow up consultation.

As to when we will go back for our embryos, well, I really can't say. Unfortunately, everything about our time in Florida proved to be more expensive than we had planned. We spent every last penny in our IVF account and then some. So we're back at the saving up dimes and nickels stage again. I'm predicting it will cost us about $2,500 for a FET, including medications and travel. So as to when we'll have $2,500 to go again… your guess is as good as mine.

I'm in a hurry only because I'm ready to move on. I have never been more ready to move past this season of life. I'm officially tired of putting X, Y, and Z on hold for years (and years, and years) all because of infertility. If IVF in Florida with our own eggs and sperm is not going to lead to our take home baby, well I'm ready to know that so that we can move on. I really have no clue what out next, next steps would be... how long it would take... how much it would cost. I'm still trying to wrap my head around $2,500 at the moment. So yeah, we're moving on... ever so slowly. Did you really expect anything different from us?

9 comments:

  1. You know- moving on is so hard. The emotional part but then also the actual part of even figuring out what moving on means to you! I had thought of CCRM since my second failed IVF. And didn't go until after my fourth failed IVF and then even after my first failed FET. I believe that figuring out the next step is something that will just come to you when you're good and ready. I'm thinking of you so much my friend. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's grace is so sweet, to give you a day off work when it was much needed! Hope you got some good time with Him! Nothing better then staying in your PJ's all day!! Praying you receive His wisdom as when to take next steps! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amanda, I'm sorry. I read your other post but was so busy I couldn't comment. The feeling you have are very normal and it would be a lie if we tried to deny them. I hope this time on tryin to figure out what your next step is helps you ind peace and comfort. Don't lose hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. I can't imagine how depressing it is to try to save the money for FETs you don't feel very hopeful about in the first place. Boo. :( You know what would be more fun? Budgeting $10 to having lunch with me next week. Ha. INSTANT GRATIFICATION, SATISFACTION GUARANTEED!!! Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The money thing is just absolutely maddening. If I had $2500, I would be asking for your address and sending you a check, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you had a snow day to recharge. I hate that decisions about money have to influence decisions about treatment. Prayers that you'll seek His wisdom for the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a tough place to be. You want to move on, you want to be a parent so much. But you have to wait, for you body to return to base camp, for financial reasons, etc. Our stories are different, but I just wanted to let you know that in hindsight I'm glad we had to wait a bit. I need to heal, physically and emotionally - and while I'm not sure I'll ever heal completely from this loss, time does help. Hang in there. You will find your way to bring home a baby.
    For what it's worth, I still haven't taken down the photo of our two embryos...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the temps are warming up down there, it's crazy that the South is getting hit with worse weather than us up here in the Pacific Northwest. You always amaze me at how much you know about your fertility/treatments, etc. I only knew if our embryos were good or fair. I'm sorry for how you are feeling right now, I hope I can tell you that time really does heal all wounds.
    If you would ever consider seeking fertility treatment up here in Seattle, we would open our home to you and Sam. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is maddening how difficult it is to pay for treatments for something that should be so natural. I'm so sorry that you are going through any of this and that you now have to wait a bit longer. Still so very hopeful for you and sending you love. You're in my heart, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete