I'm not going to keep you in suspense. This is a post that I hoped I would never have to write. The news is not good. Dr. Duffy called this morning with the report. I started sobbing early in the conversation, but this is what I think he said:
1- 5 cell
2- 4 cell
2- 3 cell
2- 2 cell
A day 2 embryo should be 4 cells, which means more than half of mine are behind. He also mentioned that the 5 cell is already a grade B, so he's not very optimistic that it's the leader. Of the 13 eggs retrieved, only 8 were mature. They successfully fertilized one of the immature eggs, but it has since died. As has one of the mature eggs. That leaves me with 7 total embryos. Essentially, what this all means is that my babies are dying. They of course don't call it that... the medical term is arrested development, but that's not what it feels like. It feels like my babies are dying.
His recommendation is to move ahead with a day 3 transfer. I debated a 3 day transfer all along, so you would think that I'd be fine with this. But I'm not. I'm not because I wanted to transfer on day 3 (possibly) just because it was best for the embryos to be in the natural environment rather that in the lab. I never wanted to be recommended a day 3 transfer because they don't think they'll make it to a day 5... that feels really different. It feels really awful. He also mentioned that we should start thinking about transferring 3. Before anyone reading this gets excited that my doctor will let me transfer 3 and has beautiful images of triplets in mind, let me assure you, he doesn't recommend transferring 3 because he wants me to have triplets (or even expects me to), he makes the recommendation because he's not sure transferring 2 will give me a good shot at a viable pregnancy.
I never thought I'd be here.
He called my embryos "fragile".
My babies are dying.
I can't even describe where my head is right now... I guess it's in the lab where the result of our money, blood, sweat and tears are fighting for life. Where my fragile embryos fight to simply divide one cell into two. My heart is in that lab too. Broken into so many pieces I'm not sure that I'll ever find them all... part of my heart will probably always remain in the embryology lab where our embryos fought and lost.
We're meeting with Dr. Duffy in the morning before the transfer to get an updated report and to discuss what we should do. I obviously want to know if he has any idea what the issue is. 7 embryos fighting for life is a far cry from the place everyone predicted I'd be.... making babies and freezing future siblings.
One million thoughts have gone through my head since I received that call. Things like: "we should go straight to CCRM" and "we'll never be able to afford CCRM". Other things like: "I don't think we can do this again" and "maybe adoption is our next step". The one thing that I can say for certain is this: everyone criticizes me of being a pessimist. I call it being a realist, but whatever, the name doesn't matter. In this, in IVF and our chances, I was an optimist. I may not sound optimistic and that's because I don't want to get other people's hopes up... it's bad enough to deal with my own disappointment, but adding in everyone else's is just too much. So I use "pessimism" as a defense mechanism. I share the sad, terrifying, awful stories of my friends so that no one expects too much, but I never really expected those stories to be mine. I really expected to get 20+ eggs; to fertilize 12 eggs, and freeze the rest; to see the embryos make it to day 5; and to become pregnant. For days now, I've been thinking about twins. I already had plans for future posts like sharing all the things I did (i.e. no carbs, acupuncture) or how it feels to leave the frozen embryos behind in Jacksonville. I don't care what it looked like, or how it came across, I was optimistic about our chances. Right about now, it feels like I was cocky. And now, I'm officially not.
I never in my wildest dreams thought we'd be here. Not me, the girl with an AMH level of 5+... 2 embryos on track after IVF... that's unheard of. But it's reality. It's the current situation we're in and all we can do is move forward. The easiest course would be to mentally give up, to say these embryos are doomed and start thinking about our next steps. I'm refusing to let me mind go there, to let my heart give up. I serve a God of miracles. There is nothing I can do for them at this point, but He can. I'm not going to give up on them until the end had come.
Transfer is set for 9:15am tomorrow. More to come. Our story is not over.
I am so, so sorry, friend. :( I can't imagine how heartbreaking this is. Praying for wisdom about the transfer tomorrow and that God pours life into those little babies. :(
ReplyDeleteAmanda- you said it: your story is NOT over. I know the disappointment. I really, really do. I know the fear and worry- the sadness of embryos that didn't make it. I wish I had words that would make these feeling a go away. There are no words, though. Just know I'm here for you and I'm still praying for a great outcome. If there's anything I can say to you it's this: don't give up. Don't give up on this cycle just yet. I'm thinking of you!!! XOXO
ReplyDeleteAmanda, oh sweet Amanda. I'm so very sorry ... :( I know it feels so incredibly heartbreaking. It's not over yet, though. It's not over. (You know I've been in your shoes; if you need ANYTHING, please let me know. You have my prayers).
ReplyDeleteI am sorry.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. Lifting you, husband, and embryos up in prayer.
ReplyDeleteOh Amanda. I'm so sorry the news isn't better. To be honest, I think doctors often paint an overly positive pictures, at least I felt like I was in a similar place. I'll be rooting for your embryos to grow and divide happily, and that at least one of them implants in your womb and grows into a happy healthy baby. Thinking lots of you.
ReplyDeleteUgh! I'm so sorry! I'm still holding out for a miracle though! Praying for your heart and your sweet babes tonight!
ReplyDeleteI know that this is heart breaking for you. I am praying that those sweet embabies are just wanting to be nestled into their Mama instead of the lab. Lots of success stories out there in similar situations. Be real but don't give up hope. Prayers your way.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sad to hear the numbers aren't what you wanted. Praying for the ones that get transferred.
ReplyDeleteOh Amanda, I'm truly sorry your are going through this. I wish I could take the pain away. Don't give up just yet I'll be praying for those embabies to keep growing. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI'm so, so sorry to hear that the news wasn't better. :( I will still be praying that the embryos that transfer will implant and turn into a healthy pregnancy!
ReplyDeleteOh sweetness, your story is not over. This may very well produce a healthy, viable pregnancy. I am so sorry that you are in this position right now. You deserve to have this work and I am still optimistic for you! Praying.
ReplyDeleteOh, Amanda, I'm sorry, and I say that as a woman pretty much all of whose cycles looked about like yours does at this point. But I get it -- I get the worry, and the fear, and even the disappointment, and I'm sorry you're dealing with all those things. Please count me among those hoping you'll have good news tomorrow and down the road and that this struggle, difficult though it's proving, is a valuable part of your path to parenthood.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear this news... I know it's definitely not what you were hoping for or expecting to hear at all. Sending thoughts and prayers to you and your embies.
ReplyDeleteOh Amanda! I am just so sorry to hear this. I can just feel how broken your heart is when I read this. I am hoping and praying that the transfer this morning is successful and there's really no reason to believe it won't be. My nieces and nephew were all very low grade, low-growing embryos...and here they are! Praying the same against-all-odds success for you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you have felt every step has been such a letdown. I think everyone feels that way on some level...always something not going our way or not living up to our high expectations. At the end of the day though, you are doing EVERYTHING you can and that's all you can do. So many steps of the IVF process are simply out of our hands. I could tell you a bunch of stories about women who've gotten pregnant with only one lackluster embryo transferred as a Day 3 embryo, but I have a feeling that won't squash your disappointments. You really do still have just as good a chance as anyone else that this will work though. I am hoping with all of my heart, praying for you so hard, that it will and all of your sacrifices will be worth it. Oh, and you are allowed to be as realistic as you want to be. You have every right to feel the way you do!
ReplyDeleteI am praying so hard for those embryos right now. Hoping with all my might that this disappointment will turn into an amazing outcome. XOXO
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you didn't get better news. I'm sure you know this too though-- those little bundles of cells that did make it could very well be your future babies. I'm hoping for this for you so much, and thinking of you. xo
ReplyDeleteYour story is definitely not over! I'm sorry that you were disappointed, I tend to be an overachiever and know exactly how you feel. One of our babies was a "fair" embryo, so you just never know.
ReplyDeleteI wasn't done typing....hehe. I hope your transfer went perfectly this AM, can't wait to hear. xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteOh honey! I understand your disappointment so much. But those embies are still fighting so you can't give up on them yet. I'm happy that they are doing a transfer to give them a better chance of survival. Thinking of you today and hoping that your transfer went well. Hope you have the opportunity to relax and let those little fighters settle into your cozy uterus and implant. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about you all day. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI logged in to Blogger just to read your update, and I feel crushed. I am so sorry for this news. But I can't let myself believe it's over yet, friend. Please know I am praying for those embryos to be strong and live. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteUgh I am so sorry sending you so much love and praying for those two. All it takes is one and hopefully the day 3 transfer will help them settle into a natural environment and continue to fight and grow. Praying!!
ReplyDelete