Thursday, April 3, 2014

Another Year Gone

It's a little surreal, but today is our fourth anniversary! I swear it seems like it was just a few months ago that I was writing about our third anniversary! I guess it's really true what they say: the days are long, but the years are short. There have been some really, really long days this past year. Days that I'm content never to repeat. But last night, as I read back through the previous years' anniversary posts (here, here, and here), I was pleased to see how how much we've done, how far we've come, and how much we've learned. Last year I was looking ahead to our fourth year of marriage. On that day, I was excited about:
  • Sam will accept an offer TODAY for his first job as a physical therapist.
  • We will move OUT of my mom's house and IN to a house in Athens
  • I will get a job (the odds are high within a year, right?)
  • We WILL pay for IVF
  • We might get pregnant
  • And if we're really, really blessed, we might buy a house within the next year.
And don't you know, we actually did almost all of the above except buy a home, (and the obvious one) but as we had our home inspection this morning, we came very, very close to sneaking that one in too. And honestly, I'd forgotten it was even a goal until last night! 

There is certainly one GIANT thing missing that we were desperately hoping for out of year four: a bring home baby or a solid pregnancy. Obviously that didn't work out like we were hoping despite saving and paying for IVF. It's really easy to start grading the years based on the one thing we're missing. When it's the one thing you spend all your time and money on for an entire year, it really feels like a failed year when that one thing doesn't work out. But the truth is, we've had a good year. We both got jobs, we moved to Athens, we completed our goal and paid for IVF (and an FET) without debt, and we're hoping to buy a home soon. Sure, this year would have been just about perfect if the IUI, or IVF, or FET had worked, but they didn't… it doesn't change what we did do, what we did accomplish.

There seems to be a general theme the least few years as I've recapped the previous year… sadness and hope. Sadness for what has gone before and hope for what might come tomorrow. That pretty much sums up this year as well. Marriage is about for better or for worse. Our for worse is most certainly infertility… it's a repeat theme year after year. And I'm not sure when or if that will ever change, but I'm still so incredibly thankful that we have each other. The worse is significantly better than it could be when you're with the one you love and you can support each other.

So Happy Anniversary to my best friend! I feel abundantly blessed to call you my husband! I'm looking forward to year five and hoping for better and brighter days with you!

April 3, 2010: Courtesy of the*Reason


Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1 Corinthians 13:7

21 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! You are lucky to have such a wonderful husband to go through all the challenges in life. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be so hard to remember the good with the bad, but you do it well. Hoping for this to be your year, sounds like you have many great things on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary #4! This is going to be an exciting year with fun new things! I hope with my whole heart that you get the house, the baby, and the whole shebang!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! U should feel blessed not many can say their husban is their best friend. Sometimes things don't work out as we plan or would like but with every struggle there's a new perspective that will only allow us to be such amazing people. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! What a great perspective you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! Wishing you the best of things in the upcoming year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your perspective! It's so important - but sometimes so hard - to remember that there were good days, good experiences, too, even though your big dream didn't come true yet. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! I hope this coming year brings you both a baby and a house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy happy anniversary my sweet friend! It warms my heart to know that you have such a great man and you should be so proud of all of your achievements over the last year. Always praying that year 5 of marriage brings you those final two goals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary, friend. Blessings on this next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary to you two!! It sounds like you have a wonderful husband :) Praying for many more years together that include children and a new home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy anniversary! That is a beautiful picture of you two :) I can relate to the anniversaries piling up and the lack of children becoming more and more painful. But I like how you are focusing on all the things you have accomplished as a couple. I am so excited about your house! Can't wait to hear updates about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary! Routing for you to get the rest of those things crossed of your list this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you guys had a fantastic day together. Still hoping the rest of that list is checked off very soon!! Big hugs!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful picture. Happy anniversary! Here's to getting that list completed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy day late anniversary! I'm so happy you and Sam have one another. I really grew to dislike my anniversary while waiting, and waiting and waiting for my BFP. You impress me so much that you're still able to see the positive and happiness that is still there in your life. I love you, friend, and am praying so hard for you every day! Lucky number 5?!?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated anniversary, Amanda! I truly hope this next year brings the baby your heart desires. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy anniversary, Amanda! Wishing you nothing but blessings this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dar and I just had our 4th in January (you are my bday twin too!) :) I love this.

    Infertility is our worse as well. We started trying when I was 27, just 1 year in. So 3/4 of our marriage, infertility has unwelcominlying joined us. Thank God for our husband and a marriage with Him around but I'm excited when we can at least have a different worse or a year where it's not about the majority of our bucks going to a big ?. Rooting for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! I hope you had a wonderful anniversary, Amanda! Gosh, I know our plans for our family can be sooo different at the altar than what things look like years later. I believe God gave you the perfect companion in Sam to fight this with you.. xoxo ...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Anniversary!! Always praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete