Monday, April 28, 2014

Adoption in a TTC World

As I contemplate adoption and what that would look for my family, I continue to "worry" over one thing. Well, there are obviously lots of things to worry over, but there's one reoccurring thing regarding this blog. It seems to me that there's an unspoken idea in the TTC community that adoption is "giving up". I don't think anyone intentionally thinks this (maybe I'm wrong), but there's an undertone. Comments following failed cycles tend to remind the blogger that IUI and IVF takes time… "there's always next time, so don't give up. Keep trying and it will work, eventually."  Again, it's not blatant. I don't think it's even intentional, but we (I'm including myself here) often put forth this idea that adoption is in some way settling or giving up, that we should keep trying to conceive until the last nail is in the coffin.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think it's really this community specifically, it's everyone. There's just this general perception that for an infertile couple, adoption is second best. I've had lots of comments from friends and family in the last few weeks. Things like, "I wish we could give you the money for IVF so you can have another shot at your own kid." or "I think IVF will work if you keep at it. I mean, you're both so young." The more I look and think and listen, the more I recognize this ideology: adoption is often the second choice, so adoption is giving up. I've really had to take a step back and look at myself. Do I feel that way? Is that how I feel about adoption? Will I look at my adopted son or daughter and think "second best"? If there is one thing I'm learning about adoption, it's that it requires you to answer some really hard questions.

I've decided with full confidence that I can love a child that is not of my blood as if he/she was. So in that sense, adoption doesn't feel like giving up at all. Any option that ends with my arms filled rather than perpetually empty seems like a win to me. However, I do wonder if I might still long for a pregnancy even after we've adopted. It has long been a desire of mine to be pregnant, not just to have children. I recognize that I probably have a really glorified image of pregnancy, but I would still like to experience it. I also understand that infertility has probably robbed me of any ability to fully enjoy a pregnancy, as I'd worry until the bitter end. But again, I would still like to experience it. I feel like a successful pregnancy and birth would be very healing for me after all of this mess. It would allow me to love like my body again. Thus, while I wouldn't describe adoption as settling, it does obviously lack the ability to fulfill this particular dream.

But we're kind of getting off topic here... back to that worry. I worry how adoption would affect this blog. I don't want to lose these relationships. I can't tell you how much you all mean to me. Tears literally (and I do mean literally) come to my eyes when I think of all of you. I have no idea where I would be if it wasn't for the outpouring of love and support that I've received here over the years. And I don't for one second feel as if anyone would intentionally cut me off for pursuing adoption rather than IVF, goodness no, you are better people than that. But there's a noticeable trend in which like finds like. DOR ladies tend to have a lot of DOR blogs in their blog roll. Donor egg tends to congregate with donor egg. Even CCRM patients find other CCRM patients. I've never really gravitated towards one situation over the other. Maybe that's simply because I've never had a diagnosis. Selecting blogs to follow for me usually corresponds to one of the following A- compelling story, B- really good writer, C- blogger pursues me… and I'll be honest and say, I tend to gravitate towards names, photos, and clean design (aka, no curlz font). I know, I'm hard to please, my point is just, I've never set out to find "X" type of blog. But I'm sure that if we pursue adoption, I will seek out more adoption bloggers. I will want their advice and their support. But I would feel absolutely crushed if I became an outsider to those actively trying to conceive. I would still cherish the comments of those trying to conceive, and I hope that mine would be welcome to any of you as well. This space is important to me. Your friendships are invaluable to me. But I can't help but wonder if some people might be disappointed in my choice, if they might think I was giving up too soon.

I really loved how Mel put it in her post leading up to NIAW. She describes us pretty well when she writes,
I would argue that we’re not really the booting sort. We’re more of the cold freeze or the ignore or the not listening sort. I own that. You need to own it too. I’m not saying we do it on purpose, but we do it inadvertently, and the effect of this is for people to feel excluded. We have adoptive parents who not only have to convince outsiders to use positive adoption language, but they need to convince insiders too.
I am certainly guilty of the above from time to time. But I'll also add that I think all of this is a give and take in the blog world… if you announce you're adopting and then close up shop, of course that feels incomplete and unfinished to everyone you leave behind. A similar situation seems to occur with new moms. They wrestle with the space, and often stop blogging all together or start a new blog. So yes, those still trying to conceive can't freeze out the women who choose adoption just like neither can freeze out new moms.

Mel goes onto explain how and why she coined the term ALI (adoption loss infertility). She writes,
I specifically made it enormous and general so it would include everyone on the blogroll… Every single person on that blogroll has their foot in one of the three rings in this venn diagram, and some stand in all three circles… That definition — coining the term “ALI community” — was meant to remove everything that makes our individual diagnoses and situations unique and differentiating and instead bring us all together as a single entity working toward mutual support and understanding so it can extend to the outer world.
I don't think people really get it when I try to explain this space to them. Until you've experienced it, until you've witnessed it, you can't understand the power and the beauty of a community like this. I don't ever want to leave. You people are beautiful to me and this place is special. That alone makes it worth fighting for. So no matter which direction we decide to go from here, I'm committing to do my part. I'm reaching out past my comfort zone; I'm choosing inclusivity at every opportunity. I'm agreeing that if you've got (or had) even one toe in any of those three circles, then you belong, and nothing will change that. Won't you join me in supporting those who have resolved whether via adoption or ART? Won't you join me in supporting all of the various family building opportunities and reaffirming that every choice is valid?

Friends, I don't know what the future holds for my family. We might decide to adopt, bring home a child and later return for those precious embryos in Florida, only to find success in the final transfer. Conversely, we might go for the FET next, fail, move forwards with IVF at CCRM, bring home a baby, and then decide to add to our family via international adoption. If I had to guess, I still believe that we will pursue adoption and biological children at some point. In what order that will take place, I can't really say. I guess my point is that no matter how we build our family, no matter if we bring home three babies, one baby, or no babies, I am infertile at heart. These years have affected me down to my soul. Infertility is etched so deeply into who I am now, I simply wouldn't know who I am without you. When  I think of myself, I think of myself as a Christ follower, a wife, an infertile… I think of myself as part of a whole, a part of this community. And absolutely nothing about our next steps will change that.

23 comments:

  1. I don't think that adoption means "giving up" just like I don't see our choice to stop treatments as giving up either. We each have to do what is best for us. We knew adoption was not in our cards (at least not now) so instead we decided to take a break and hope our miracle comes--- some day--- some how. But, I never see it as giving up. I will always be infertile and a huge part of this community. I also think a family can be created in many ways... and is not limited to DNA. I support you 100%

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we do tend to find blogs that are similar in going through the same things we are but I have learned that in reality no situation is exactly the same. I usually find blogs from blogs I currently read and much like the way you find them. I am interested in any story with a couple trying to find their way to parenthood. All this to say no matter what path it takes you to get there I will be reading right along and cheering for you! It doesn't matter how we get there just that we get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very convicted by your honesty. My husband and I also discussed adoption during our journey to parenthood. For us at that time we didn't feel adoption was for us and I commend you for having an open heart for it. However you start your family or whatever order, those children will be so loved. That is apparent by this post!

    Ashley
    Man and Wife and Two Fur Babies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell you that I will read and follow your blog regardless of where this journey takes you! Also, whether you end up getting pregnant or if you adopt the potential for the other way to add to your family is always there. Hang in there my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a conversation with my (fertile) BFF just this morning where I was talking about how even within this community where we share so many thoughts, feelings, and experiences everyone has a different threshold for what they can/will endure. Some people will try 6 IVF fresh cycles and some are done after one. Every one is different and every situation is different. But I can tell you that personally for me adoption doesn't feel like giving up. It feels like a way to take control of your situation and desire to have a family. Recently I've been able to watch an acquaintance who struggled with infertility fulfill her dream for a child through adoption and I can say it's one of the most beautiful stories. Whichever path you decide to take I will be along for the ride to support and encourage you in what ever way I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't see how anyone could be disappointed in your decisions to find resolution. You know what's best for your family. If you decide to pursue adoption, I'll continue reading your blog. If you decide to pursue further treatments, I'll continue reading your blog. I just hope you don't allow fear of what your readers think about your decision influence it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course you may lose some followers if you announce your decision to adopt and move forward that way, but you also may lose some followers if you were to get pregnant. It happens. You are exactly right that readers are often interested in blogs that are similar to their own situations. Just know that many of us will continue to follow and connect with you regardless of your decision.

    For me, adoption and fertility are totally separate things. I planned to adopt even if I had biological children. Adoption is not infertility treatment. I've always viewed it not as giving our family a child because we want one, but as giving a child who needs one a family. I know you will make the right choice for your family, whatever that is. And I will continue to follow you either way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, I don't want you to feel like adoption is giving up or in some way not trying hard enough, not persevering, etc. I completely understand these feelings though. God placed on my husband's and my heart that DE was a path to our family. I did feel like I was giving up, though. What about all the success stories? What about those who didn't give up and finally became pregnant with their biological child? Those are beautiful stories, beautiful conclusions. I believe that can happen for you - absolutely. I believe it could maybe happen for me even. ANything can happen, right? But you know what I've learned? It's not about Jesus changing our situations. It's about Jesus changing our hearts. And I'm so thankful for that. It is not giving up. There are the CCRMs of the world, the miraculous pregnancies. Again - those are beautiful. But if YOUR miracle is finding happiness, fulfillment, a FAMILY through adoption, you go girlfriend. You owe no one a thing. You are not a failure. You will have won; the moment that baby is in your arms, you will have beat infertility no matter who that baby is and who carried that baby. I feel very passionate about this (if you can't tell). ;) You don't have to beat a dead horse to know without a shadow of a doubt that your heart is ready for a different path. Frankly, there will never be enough failed cycles before you know immediately that it's time to follow your heart on that different path. You have to marinate on it. And that - my friend - is the miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, you brought up some really valid, thought-provoking points. I have to say that while we were on the adoption path, I got the same amount of comments, and usually from the same people as I did during IVF. It wasn't until I became pregnant that people stopped commenting. I totally understand why it would be hard for people who are still in the thick of infertility to support a PAIL blogger though. I guess my point here is that I personally never felt like people supported me any less during my adoption journey than they did through my IVF cycles. I hope the same will be true for you too if you decide to adopt. I will be here cheering you on and reading either way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much to think through!! I'm here for you regardless of what you pursue. Adoption is just as important as treatments!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda, this is a great post, and I am excited to see how your family will grow! I don't comment often, but I do read. And I'm not going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adoption is just another way to make your family complete. Whether a child is naturally conceived, through IUI/IVF, through Donor Eggs/Donor Sperm or adoption, you are bringing a child into your family to love with your whole heart. I look forward to following along every step of the way. Much love to you, sweet friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post! I totally with everything you wrote. I feel like no matter how the future continues for us, infertility will definitely be a part of me.
    Also, I totally understand still wanting to be pregnant even if you adopt next! I'm right there with you! If we don't end up getting pregnant with biological kids, you better bet I'll be going the donor embryo route for sure!
    Hugs to you. SO much to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl - I like you for you and would follow your journey no matter what path you choose. We are all trying to grow our family in a non-traditional way. Wether that's IUI, IVF, adoption, donor egg, donor sperm - or whatever it's just the path we choose. It all takes us to the same destination. A baby. In our arms. To call our own. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. To me, the journey is about resolving infertility. Through adoption, donor, ART, or deciding to live childfree.

    What I look for in reading someone's blog is sensing the authenticity of rheir story, seeing their humanity as they work towards resolving their infertility.

    Adoption is not second best, or the easier way out. That path as you know can be filled with just as much heartache as the others, and end with just as amazing results.

    My advice to you friend, is to use this space to serve you, and God (as I know that's important to you). Which ever direction you take, the mix of your readership may change, but I know you will find supporters.

    I know I'll be here.

    Thinking of you as you weigh your options.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amanda, I think you and Sam will be wonderful parents no matter by what path(s) your child or children come into your family, and that plenty of your current bloggy friends will follow you for that reason -- because they enjoy hearing about your experiences as parents -- though of course some will drop away (for any number of reasons) and others will join you.

    Experiencing infertility changed me, and mostly for the better. It helps me understand that unless I'm in someone's shoes (which of course, I'm not, unless someone=me), I don't know what they're feeling/experiencing/should do. It helps me understand in my bones that there are multiple ways individuals and families do all sorts of things, and that that's OK. It's gotten me familiar with the concept of just abiding with someone (if I can do nothing else) as they travel difficult parts of their paths. And while I've "resolved" my infertility (I, personally, had a child through IVF and am no longer seeking to add children to our family -- just one of a range of possible "resolutions" of course), it remains here in all those other ways (all that I've learned), and that would be true, no matter how I had "resolved" it.

    Which is why, more than 5 years after my infertility was "resolved," I still feel very much part of the ALI community and am still here, reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great post- as usual! I wish that there weren't those specific groups that you mention, but I have definitely felt them. I too am so so grateful for the support found through other bloggers and we shouldn't exclude if someone chooses the adoption route or some other direction. I hope that whatever you choose brings you the true joy you deserve and the family that you hope and dream for :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading this post fresh in the heels of reading another post from Trisha @ the Elusive Second Line. Thought I'd share, as it touches on a lot of your thoughts: http://theelusivesecondline.wordpress.com/2014/04/28/the-language-of-adoption

    Here's the truth about adoption: it most certainly isn't giving up, but it is a massive gear shift. For those who chose to pursue this path, for many it requires ending the journey towards biological children. That means giving up pregnancy, the "Mommy's eyes and Daddy's nose" connection, the sense of history, etc. None of that is trival and you will need time to grief that loss. But just because that loss exists doesn't mean adoption is second best. Far from it. So few people can actually speak about the process as most will never take this journey. But that fact doesn't make it less beautiful.

    Though many bloggers connect because of similarities, I find that readers will stay regardless of the journey if a bond has been formed. So don't fret about losing readers. Just write what is in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will keep following you no matter what you do. The bottom line is that you are trying to reach your goal to become a mom, and giving birth does not make you a mom. Loving, nurturing and raising a human being to be the best person they can be is being a mom. I look forward to whatever journey you take!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a common thing in this community, I think. Because we all transition from one "category" to another at some point - TTC to mommyhood, TTC to adoption, adoption to mommyhood, TTC to life w/o kids, etc. Sometimes people even transition their blog from a TTC blog to a cooking blog or a DIY blog. But what you said above was really powerful and true. I think that it's more about the relationships than anything. So whether your blog starts to focus more on adoption or bird watching, those who you consider true friends will continue to read and support you. I really believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Been meaning to comment on this post for a few days... This was so thoughtful and honest. For the record, I intend to keep following your blog no matter what you decide to do or what happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had been trying to comment from my phone on this post for a while and it just wasn't happening, but I just wanted to let you know, that no matter what path you choose to add to your family, I will follow your journey. I am convinced that in spite of all the bitterness you've endured, your children, however brought into your family, and whichever road you take, their story will be sweet. To finally read that long awaited post, whenever that might be, and I'm praying soon, is going to be a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amanda, I don't know how I have missed your blog until today, but I just found it through Lisa's blog. Many of the concerns you raise are mine as well. My husband and I just decided to take a (possibly permanent) break from infertility tests/treatments. We are taking the summer off and plan to pursue adoption in the fall. My blog is about trying to conceive, so I am not sure how the transition will work. One thing I have considered is that we may never actually stop trying to conceive. It's not a clean break. Even if we go the adoption route, we would love to be surprised by a miracle baby. Infertility may be a temporary phase, but I think the effects will remain.

    While pregnancy updates are a little too much to handle sometimes, I am usually encouraged to see people who have been blessed with children after infertility. I like to read those blogs. I hope you continue blogging, regardless of how your family grows.

    ReplyDelete