Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Something to Celebrate

Tomorrow, my baby should turn one. We should be celebrating this weekend with a big ol' party. We should be having fun photo shoots where she smashes the cake and smears icing all over her pudgy little body. We should be attending Sam's graduation this week as a family of three. Instead, I'm left to mourn what might have been. I wish so badly that my baby had stuck around. I wish my body didn't suck. I wish that whatever went wrong in those early moments of life didn't go wrong. I wish I could have loved her and held her for a year.

Tomorrow's going to suck. Heck, let's be honest, there have been quite a few sucky days in the last two years. The start of May also signals another year of trying. Yep, in case you missed it, it's official: we have been actively trying for 2 years. Blughhh. It just sucks.

However, I'm doing my very, very best to find happiness in this current stage of life. In light of that, I'm going to find something else to celebrate. Tomorrow marks NINE YEARS since my husband first thought I was attractive. Actually, in his words, he thought, "my legs were hot". Oh, to have my 120 pound, 18 year old body back. But that's actually a really dumb anniversary, so let's go with this:

Today marks NINE YEARS since I met my husband*

What was I doing nine years ago? I'm glad you asked. I was going to my senior prom… with someone other than my husband. It's far too long and sordid of a history to share, but essentially, we met at my high school's prom in 2004. I went with my boyfriend of two and a half years, and Sam went with a friend from my high school. He attended a different rival high school at the other end of the county. We went in a very large group, so I didn't really pay too much attention to him. Plus, it was my last high school dance and I was super in love. I had no time for other boys. 

However, after we started dating I learned that although my eyes weren't wandering, his had fully looked and decided that they liked what they saw. Our group divided up that evening (guys/girls) for sleepovers, but we reconvened the next morning at breakfast. I didn't remember what I wore two years later when he told this story, but he did. Most important were some navy shorts that apparently did wonders for my legs. Hooked him!

The truth is that we went our separate ways that day and I didn't think of him again for quite some time. It would be almost a year later before we really even became good friends, but eventually I saw him as more than a friend and the timing was right for both of us. We never looked back.

So instead of thinking about all that I've lost tomorrow, I'm going to think about all that my long, skinny legs and some navy shorts got me nine years ago. In honor of nine years, or one third of our lives, I thought we'd take a little walk down memory lane with some fun photos. Enjoy!


February 2006: After the Georgia vs Vanderbilt game
July 2006: Vacation with Sam's family to Kentucky.
Yes, we know the little cutie in the swing, we aren't playground creepers.
August 2006: Moving Sam into his first off campus apartment at UGA

October 2006: UGA vs Tennessee
(sorry for the belly exposure)
August 2007: Waiting on the annual fireworks at the Starlight Concert
March 2008: Heading to a date night at Chops in Atlanta
July 2008: Fourth of July waiting on the fireworks
October 2008: Fall break stop in Savannah on our way to Georgia/Florida
December 2008: Christmas morning with my mom's family
June 2009: Night out with friends at Chow Baby
May 2009: My Exhibition Show for graduating from
UGA's Lamar Dodd School of Art in Graphic Design

May 2009: Graduation Party for me
(That's Soo Ming with us, not Everest)
May 2009: I finally graduated!
We can walk through the UGA Arches together!
May 2009: We're ENGAGED!!!
(sorry for the awful make-up, I sobbed)
June 2009: Annual Starlight Concert
(the real us, I use him as a foot rest all the time)
August 2009: Engagement Party
November 2009: Engagement photos courtesy of the*Reason
November 2009: Engagement photos at Montaluce Vineyards
December 2009: Waiting on Christmas breakfast with the family
January 2010: Sam and I with the wedding party tasting
(and scoring) cheesecakes for the wedding at the Cheesecake Factory
April 2010: Wedding Day! First dance at reception
April 2010: Good morning newlyweds! You're looking mighty fine!
Free first class upgrade on our way to Denver.
April 2010: Honeymoon in Breckenridge, Colorado
First night it snowed!
October 2010: Georgia vs Vanderbilt
November 2010: Thanksgiving Dinner
December 2010: Yep, that's right. White Christmases are possible in Georgia too!
April 2011: First Anniversary. Carnival Cruise to Western Caribbean
April 2011: First Anniversary. Excursion day at Grand Cayman.
August 2011: Canoeing the Kentucky River
September 2011: UGA vs Coastal Carolina
October 2011: Family photos down at the Canal in Augusta

April 2012: Second Anniversary trip to Atlanta.
Headed out to eat at Nava in Atlanta.
April 2012:  Our second Anniversary
Dinner at The Atlanta Fish Market
June 2012: Photo fun with the Fenton's
October 2012: Camping Trip to North Carolina
December 2012: Wedding for two of Sam's classmates
April 2013: Anniversary dinner at Ruth's Chris


I'm lucky to have found you Sam. Thanks for loving me and marrying me. And thank you for giving me something else to celebrate today... Yep, ladies and gentlemen, Sam passed his board exams!!! He's one small diploma away from being a licensed Physical Therapist!


 *Fun fact. After we started dating, I learned that we, in fact, met prior to the prom. We met in preschool. Sam and I were in the same preschool class way back when. Here's proof:


Sam is the cutie on the left. I'm the one rocking the side-pony and the frown.


10 comments:

  1. HA!!!! That is so amazing that you were pre-school classmates!! And also you were taller than him, it seems!! This was a fabulous jog down memory lane with the pictures, but I'm a little disappointed that there are none of the epic navy shorts??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love that you were in the same preschool class! Glad you have a happier anniversary to celebrate to trump the other crummy one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are great! How special to have spent almost a decade together. Congrats!

    Thinking of and praying for you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED seeing all these pictures! Especially the last one! What are the chances?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - I canNOT believe you guys were in the same pre-school class!!!! How ironic is that?! So funny! I love all of your pics... you guys are the cutest :) Happy 9 years! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these photos!!! Y'all are absolutely gorgeous together! How fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the pictures, so fun to see all your adventures together! Thinking of you and praying for you this week. Glad you are finding lots of good things to celebrate... congrats to Sam for passing those exams! And that pre-school picture is so precious! So you've really been together almost your whole lives. Sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the photos! You guys look so happy in every one. I hope you had a wonderful anniversary and did indeed celebrate! Please know that I am thinking about you today because I know how hard days like this can be. Big hugs from me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny how anniversaries can be sad or happy....I'm sorry for your sad one coming up. I just had my would-be due date..it's tough for sure. But I'm happy you are able to focus on something worth celebrating! I think it's so fun to look back through old pictures and see how far you've come! Congrats on 9 years!

    ReplyDelete