I hate that I'm even writing about it… again. I'm sure my real life friends are so over this. I tell myself, "self, you need to write three blogs without mentioning pregnancy, or infertility, or babies because the people are sick of your story… move on already". But you guys, infertility has literally affected every single aspect of my life. I'm not sure I remember who I was before this all started. Everything relates back to trying to have a baby. Grocery shopping. Simple, right? I mean it's not rocket science. But all of a sudden everything that hits the cart gets scrutinized for two things: 1- should I be eating/drinking that? and 2- if I didn't buy X, we'd be $2.43 closer to IVF. Ughhhh! I just want a Snickers sometimes, you know? Jeez!
Tonight, I hate that I've literally lost hope. Infertility has stolen my ability to hope for the future. My friend Em was struggling with this the other day as well (see? I'm not the only one). Sign me up for a prescription of hope any day! I'm about to enter into an IUI cycle. I have zero hope in it. This time last year, I thought IUI's were going to solve my problems, be a dream come true, be a one way ticket to babyland. Well they weren't. Does that mean they won't be/can't be? No, but I can't manage to eek out even a little hope in this process. I resolved myself several months ago that IVF was our last hope in making a child… not in being parents, but in making a child. Once upon a time, in my naivety, I believed that IVF is a sure thing. I guess I knew that it could fail, but only once, right? Joining the community of fellow infertiles has shown me a different story. IVF is great. It's the Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) option with the greatest chances of success, but it's still not a guarantee, not by a long shot. So I've resolved myself to the cold hard fact that we might go all the way to IVF and still not come home with a baby. We can talk about frozen embryo transfers (FET's) all we want, but there is absolutely no guarantee that we will have any embryos to transfer. It is all crazy uncertain until you actually go through the process. So knowing the long odds of IVF bringing us a baby in one shot, I just can't get back on board with an IUI.
I'm a hot mess tonight. It's not pretty. My husband and I are trying to pick between several less than desirable insurance plans. I say less than desirable because they all cost more than my previous employer's plan, and because, well, I still live in Georgia, the land of "no infertility coverage". My husband views everything through the "what if we get pregnant lens?". He's looking at maternity plans. I can't go there. I'm not sure if this is a revelation I'm experiencing tonight, or if I am simply one hot, hormonal mess (I did pray for my period). But geez, I shouldn't cry over maternity plans. It's ridiculous.
I also learned that there is mathematically no way that we will be able to pay for IVF by my birthday. Did I mention I'm a mess tonight? I've learned from lots of infertiles, particularly those going through Donor Egg procedures that donor companies and RE's advise couples to look for young, healthy donors. What's young? Apparently, it's 27. My current age. The age I'll cease to be in October. I know, I just said that I could go all the way through IVF and have zero healthy embryo's to freeze. But what if? What if I have 20 freezable embryos? What if IVF actually works? What if we complete our family and have 2, 5, 10 embryos left over? I can't terminate them. And I can't leave them frozen in time forever. But what if I try to donate them and no one wants them? Ughhhh!
It will seriously be a budgeting miracle if we succeed in paying for IVF by the end of this year. There are literally no more corners to cut, no more sacrifices to make… if we somehow manage to stick to this crazy budget, IVF will be when it will be, and that's as soon as I can hope for, and that's really no hope at all.
May things look brighter tomorrow, Lord.
Oh Amanda. I want to hug right now. And i apologize in advance for any typos as I'm currently having a pity party of my own tonight which includes half a bottle of wine and a chocolate cupcake.
ReplyDeleteBut first of all, I saw the video and I concur. She's not my friend. I don't like her. I found her blog before and felt that she was using her starlike looks and exploiting her infertility status to make a career out of it.
Next, try not to get too caught up in the what ifs. I too am stressing about no insurance coverage and what if IVF doesn't work. But I also remember where you are at...its hard but if you can let go of as many of the what ifs as possible. It will help.
You'll be in my prayers tonight.
Agh! Why does infertility manage to rip out the best of us? I hate when we get all gloomy over this. Sure infertility has opened up my mind and changed my perspective but I dont consider it a blessing. I HATE IT!!! Your post almost made me cry. I wish I could do something to cheer you up. I can say something totally corny like "Everything is going to be alright" but I know that is not what you want to hear. I will keep you in my prayers so you can feel enlighten on your upcoming IUI.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you had such a bad night last night :(. Infertility is SO hard and I totally understand how it just takes over every single aspect of your life. It's like your life IS infertility.. UGH!! Thinking of you, friend...
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. I most certainly don't think I will ever be able to call infertility a blessing. Maybe (hopefully) I'll look at what I went through to finally get my family, but a blessing? I wouldn't wish this kind of blessing on my worst enemy.
ReplyDeleteI'm the worst person to tell anyone to try and let go and just hope for the best, that's all we can do, but as I get ready to start my first IVF, I keep trying to tell myself the same thing.
You just had surgery, "get while the gettin's good", right?! This IUI just might be successful. I'm hoping and praying for you, friend. Hugs.
Ugh. I hate feeling like this and hope that getting it all out helped you feel at least a teeny bit better. I am not going to watch that video because I might punch the computer if I heard someone trying to pass off IF as a blessing. What a jerk. I would like to bless her face with my fist. Love ya, friend.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I'm so sorry. Praying that the day gets better and, if not hope, peace finds you quickly.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. It's impossible not to have these kinds of days when dealing with infertility. And the stress of no insurance coverage for fertility treatments adds a whole extra layer of worry. I'm starting another IUI cycle now too, and don't have a lot of hope right now. But with or without hope, there's still a chance it could work. I'm wishing for that for you!
ReplyDeleteCan I just stand and applaud this? Because this is exactly what I feel like every freaking day. And to that lady on the video clip? Middle finger right there. Yes, granted, I would not be the same mother had I not gone through IF. I know for a fact that I would love my children more than anything, but I wouldn't have appreciated them. I would have taken them for granted. We are gearing up for IVF. And like you, I struggle with this. There is no guarantee. I don't have any great advice for you, but I do understand. Allow yourself to have those emotions. It's a sucky journey we were on.
ReplyDeleteI wish hope came in a bottle, we are approaching fresh IVF #3 and I could really use a mega dose of hope. I think we are all entitled to feeling hopeless, I pray the feeling goes away for all of us infertiles soon. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteOh Amanda! I'm so, so sorry. I cannot imagine the brain-ache you must be feeling over these insurance plans. Ugh. One of my favorite songs goes like this:
ReplyDeleteHope has a way of turning its face to you just when you least expect it.
You walk in a room, you look out a window, and something there leaves you breathless.
You say to yourself, "it's been a while since I've felt this.
But it feels like it might be...hope."
That's my prayer for you, dear friend.
And thanks for the link, by the way. (-:
Well, just now reading this - I am so sorry that you and all of your fellow infertiles are having to deal with any of this. You are right that it is totally unfair, wrong and completely insane that women who want children the most should have to wait and go through so much heartache! All of your stories make my heart break. Amanda, I pray constantly for you and your friends. I know it wouldn't help but if you were here I would give you a "rocking hug". Love you so much!
ReplyDeleteLots of hugs for you Amanda!!!
ReplyDeleteSending so many thoughts your way darling. I totally understand where you are coming from. Infertility is such an awful thing. Thinking of you so much!
ReplyDeleteI am a new follower! I just wanted to take a minute and not only introduce myself, but to drop a little encouragement your way! I know exactly how hard this all is but I want to you to know you have some kore support here!! Praying and thinking of you!! This WILL happen!!!
ReplyDelete