I had my post-op Thursday morning last week before going down to Augusta for Sam's graduation (more on that later). Now, a little background to set the scene: Dr. Slayden and I had discussed some next steps during my appointment in April. We discussed skipping straight ahead to IVF, which we can't do because we don't have the funds. We also discussed, a multitude of other less expensive options with various chances of success. My doctor is super nice and understanding about the financial issue, so if it's on the back burner, he figures we might as well try to be successful in the mean time without spending too much money. His scenario with the greatest chances of success (other than IVF) was the surgery (Laparoscopy + Hysteroscopy + D&C) + Pregnitude + Metformin/Glucophage + Femara + IUI... he briefly mentioned the IUI. We spent much more time talking about the other options. Sam and I are really over IUI's. We've done three. They didn't work. It has seemed to us that it would be the definition of insanity to keep throwing $1,500+ a pop at something that doesn't work, when we could save twelve of those and pay for IVF.
So with that said, I spent a small amount of time before the surgery deciding how we would proceed. If we found endometriosis, our odds would increase; therefore, it might make sense to try an IUI (and all the other stuff). If no endo then we would do nothing. The only thing I was really prepared to invest in after learning that there was zero endometriosis inside of me was Femara. I've had good, safe results of Femara. I ovulate regularly, with good healthy follicles, nice, lush linings, and no cysts. However, my nurse said that they wouldn't prescribe Femara without a full cycle of monitoring. So I even thought about calling my OB/GYN to get a script. But Femara was my only plan upon entering the post-op appointment.
And then my doctor entered. Have you ever met someone who just sweeps you away with their enthusiasm? That's my doctor. I sometimes wonder if he tells EVERYONE that they can set something up, but that he's confident they'll cancel before the appointment because they're pregnant. But seriously, he was just SO EXCITED; I couldn't help but get caught up in his enthusiasm... a little. He took several photographs during the surgery, and you guys, you'd have thought it was Christmas! He was so excited about how beautiful everything looked, how gorgeous my fallopian tubes are, that he got to see a spleen, etc. I'm not a biology/anatomy kind of girl, so I just saw grossness, but I tried to humor him. But once we got past that part, he jumped straight into scheduling my next appointment to get the IUI cycle started.... what? wait a second... why are we doing an IUI? I've done three of those. But he wasn't having any of that. He was full of phrases like "hit it hard" and "go big or go home".
By the end of it all, I guess he had convinced me. Either that or I just didn't have the heart to squash his excitement. So... I guess that means we are doing another IUI. You can't be as surprised as I am. But apparently between the D&C and the thorough flushing my tubes received my chances
So get excited! Come along for the ride... it's sure to be crazy. And I'm sure to be pregnant by the end of it (or so my doctor says).
I'm going to join your doc's bandwagon and believe you'll be pregnant by the end of this :) xoxo
ReplyDeleteYay!!! I'm loving this doctor. Don't worry, 75ui of FSH is pretty low. It's very rare for someone to produce more than 4. So excited for you and I agree...I'm thinking this IUI is the one that's going to work! xo
ReplyDeleteHahahaa you got brainwashed by Dr. S. Now I feel even prouder of myself for withstanding his enthusiastic brainwashing!!! Although to be fair, he hasn't tried very hard to convince me to do anything except IVF. But I'm glad you have a plan and something to be working towards!!
ReplyDeleteWHOA!!! And my word verification on that last comment was (NO LIE): Doc praysist. Doc? Pray? Sist (cyst)?? What is God telling us through these WVs?!?!?!?!
ReplyDeleteI know it's scary, but that sounds like a great plan! I've been doing femara or clomid+ FSH for the last six cycles. I've responded well with a combo of 75iu to 150iu for about 5 days and by well, I mean I usually have between 1-3 lead follicles. I've only done 1 IUI on this combo (the rest were just trigger and TI) but the FSH may just give you the bump you need! I'm excited for you!
ReplyDeleteI think this is a WONDERFUL plan! I know you don't know me except as a fellow blogger but I have a completely unused vial of the Gonal-F that you can have. Seems weird I know but it's all yours if you want it. You can email me if you're interested. gdahl21@yahoo.com
ReplyDeleteWhoo Hooo! :) I love your doc's enthusiasm! Get on that bandwagon girl! We will all be cheering for you.
ReplyDeleteLoving your doctor right now. I need me one of those docs. Mine was total debbie downer cant wait to meet my new RE. Jumping on the bandwagon that this will be your successful IUI.
ReplyDeleteLove those doctors at RBA - I do have to say they keep their positivity level HIGH through thick and thin. I'm so glad you have a plan! And, one that sounds very exciting and encouraging. I'll be saying a prayer!
ReplyDeleteThanks to your new Doctor - my new saying for EVERYTHING of importance is "GO BIG OR GO HOME!" Love his optimism and you know I will be PRAYING morning, noon and night for this to be the one!
ReplyDeleteThis is so exciting! I'm glad you have a doctor with confidence and enthusiasm! That's got to feel good. Looking forward to walking through another IUI with you.
ReplyDeleteSo great that you have a plan!!!
ReplyDelete