The day was crazy long, and comparatively to others, I think it was short, so props to people who have to do that over and over again. Of which I will not be one. But we'll get back to that later.
You may remember that I ended up having my pre-op a few hours before surgery due to a miscommunication about my last appointment. I'm so thankful I did. I would have been seriously irked if I'd taken off work for that nonsense. Basically, they couldn't find me in the schedule, couldn't find my paperwork, couldn't organize their crap! So that was a great way to start the morning and an awesome vote of confidence for how the day would go.
After working out the kinks, I sat in the waiting room to fill out paperwork and sign all of my rights away. I was called back very quickly by a blood drawer person. She said "Amanda." Well that's me, so I went. And my morning spiraled from there. Apparently, there were two Amanda's on the schedule that morning (I know, shocker), and as she didn't use a last name, we had no idea that I'd just volunteered myself for blood work and an ultrasound to check GESTATION!!!!
I have absolutely zero idea if they ever sorted out the vials of blood correctly. She never had me verify anything on the vial, so I was still clueless. After my blood work she sent me to waiting room two. You have to keep in mind that this is not my doctor's doctor office, it's the main clinic, and basically feels like a zoo. I had no idea I wasn't waiting on an open bathroom. But no, I was waiting on an open ultrasound room to measure my baby. Awkward! I started to feel a little confused when all the ladies around me were discussing pregnancy symptoms and all the women coming out of the rooms were holding ultrasounds photos. They don't give you photos of your follicle, so I knew something was up. But I continued to patiently wait.
Finally, the blood draw lady (sorry to all of them for the super professional title, I'm too lazy to google right now) saw me still sitting there, asked for my last name and what I was having done. Lights went on in her head. "Ohhh, honey. You just sit right back down, I'll find out where you need to go." I should have explained that I knew where I needed to go. I needed to pee, because I hadn't all morning. Alas, she led me to another waiting room and told me someone would be right with me. So I waited there for another ten minutes. Finally, I stood up, explained who I was and what I was having done that day, and asked if I was in the right location. I'm still not sure if I actually was in the right waiting room, but she assured me everything was fine before scampering off to find my pre-op person.
Pre-op was all of five minutes. Blood pressure, a little chest listen. They took my word for it as to my weight and height. Then she left to do my urinalysis, which as I had still not supplied, I assumed she meant getting it ready. 30 minutes later she came in to ask where I left my sample. Ughhhh... In my bladder. Sam had finally found me by this point and explained that there are two Amanda's in the office... A second one was called just after me. Light bulb! I bet she's pregnant. Haha! I wonder what her morning looked like: "ma'm we just need to get a urine sample before we take you back to the surgery center." Commence freak out. The pre-op lady was like, "Oh that explains it. There's a cup back there that says Amanda but its under a different doctor's name". Awesome. Her blood work is going to scare the crap out of her when she hears hCG level of ZERO. Bless her heart.
Anyway, I finally peed. Waited some more, my doctor came to visit me and to "scout out the terrain" (i.e. look at my belly button) which he declared was teeny-weeny and that nothing fun would be discovered in that. Bummer. Some people lose some really odd stuff in their belly buttons, or so I'm told. Other people get belly button rings the night before surgery. Oh well, mine passed inspection; he just said he'd have to downsize the scope.
And with that my pre-op was complete. I turned in all of my paperwork and went back to the main waiting room. Despite the pre-op only really lasting about ten minutes, we'd managed to spend two hours accomplishing all of that. You can imagine how frazzled my nerves were at the thought of any of these people having anything to do with my surgery. I just sat there chanting "I trust doctor Slayden" over and over. And then they called my name again to go back to the surgery center.
I was lead to my
The room was freezing... Like free-zing and they still wanted me naked. Ughhh. My get-up was quite humorous. I had a blue hair net, a ginormous hospital gown, some ugly, itchy red bootie-sock things, and then these nude tube things. I had to ask what those were for. Supposedly they are compression socks. Ohh, I know all about compression socks, DVT runs in my family. These were compression socks for Sam sized calves, I could barely keep them on when I stood. Comical to say the least.
Some sweet lady came in to cover me with a warm blanket (bless her) and start my IV. This was honestly one of the worst parts of the whole thing. I'm scared of needles, but as I've mentioned before, two years of needle pricks is the cure to what ails me. I was only a 5-6 on the panic scale. She chose my left hand and went to work. She wasn't very pleased with any veins even after all the cord tying and stress ball squeezing. She proceeded to rub it and thump it and tie more cords. She finally decided it was good enough and actually got the needle in very quickly. I was SO proud. I didn't scream, cry, or pass out. She started the IV drip and approximately 30 seconds later my vein collapsed! Owwww! It was apparently not salvageable so she unhooked it all and pulled the needle out. I'll admit a tear escaped. She moved on to my right hand but quickly declared that hand to be worse. I'd already had a blood draw in my left arm, she moved in on the right. We had to go through the whole process again. My hand still hurts today: collapsed veins are no fun, I guess.
The anesthesiologist came back and he was so sweet. He listened to my heart, asked for my blood pressure, and asked about my experience with anesthesia before, which is pretty slim. I'm all, "I had my wisdom teeth out, does that count?" He asked if I preferred tropical vacations for my dreams. I informed him that I just wanted to wake up. He smiled, told me he'd take good care of me, and not to worry, and left. Haha, right. I started to feel pretty weepy at that point. I was alone, my hand hurt, my arm couldn't bend, I was freezing, and the man responsible for keeping me alive was talking about the beach. They brought Sam in and I had about .2 seconds to decide if I was going to lose it and cry hysterically or whether I was going to man up. Sam's not big on tears, nor theatrics, nor whiners, so I went with the latter. I dried my tears and blew my nose and held his hand.
| All hooked up, waiting to go back, and explaining my sad little hand to Sam |
The anesthesiologist was there along with a zillion other nurses (what are they all doing during the surgery?), but I was pretty happy to see lots of people. I figure surgery on me should be an "all hands on deck" kind of ordeal. I failed to climb on the table in a normal way and therefore almost fell off, which I'm guessing was their cue to knock me out fast. They all started moving at warp speed: fixing my blanket, putting my legs in these squeezy machines, putting on a blood pressure cuff… the next thing I knew the anesthesiologist asked how I was feeling. I squeaked out "fine" and he said, "well, I just gave you a margarita with salt, so I hope you like beach vacations…" And that's the last thing I remember.
I woke up to a different nurse lady who had the terrible task of dealing with me post surgery. I didn't wake up slowly, as if a fog was lifting, I woke up from a dead (literally) sleep as if a gun shot went off by my ear. She scared the hell out of me. We spent the next
The blood pressure cuff was set to beep and start automatically every five minutes or so. The nurse told me this several times, but my brain didn't seem to be able to grasp this… every time it went off I freaked out. Sam came back eventually and interpreted for me. I was finally aloud to sit up and I started feeling a lot better. I was pretty funny I guess because Sam kept laughing at me… but I guess it wasn't too bad because he never broke out the video camera! I suddenly remembered that I'd seen Dr. Slayden, so I told Sam the news (he already knew). I guess I was hoping for endo, somewhere deep inside, because I started crying when I told him. But then the blood pressure cuff started up again and I lost that train of thought entirely. I started to get kind of panicky about being attached to so many things… IV, blood pressure cuff, pulse oximeter… the nurse finally started detaching me.
I was able to get dressed and Dr. Slayden came to see me one last time. And with that, I was discharged to go home. They wheeled me out in a wheelchair. I guess a lot of people put up a fuss about this because my nurse patiently explained that it's protocol and I had to do it. No arguments from me, I couldn't imagine walking. We loaded up in the car and set out for home.
Recovery has been surprisingly easy thus far. I have a feeling that this is in huge part to the fact that almost nothing was removed. I think the pain most experience must be directly related to how much endometriosis they find, so I was pretty lucky. My incisions are sore and I ended up with sutures because the glue stuff didn't work. I'm sore, but not too bad. I'm already down to Aleve only, so comparatively to people like Erika and Jessica, I got off really easy. I could certainly take the Percocet, and probably feel a lot better, put narcotics scare me. I don't want to get hooked and I don't want to feel nauseated, so for the time being, Aleve is doing the trick.
If you're still reading this, kudos. I just needed to get it all out before the details start to fade in a haze of drugs. And thank you everyone for the outpouring of love, kind words, and prayers. I was truly touched by all of you! I'll be back at a later date to discuss what this means and my thoughts on being endo free, but for now, I'm going to sleep... again.
Glad you survived. I hate IV's too. Yay for being endo free. Although I know it's hard not getting answers you are seeking.
ReplyDeleteOMG the disorganization of pre-op....ARRRGGGHHHH!! Thank God you were 'only' having surgery and not, say, an IVF transfer...I'd have put the odds of you actually getting the right embryos at slim to none that day!! SCARY!! Oh well, love Dr. S anyway! Glad things went uneventfully. I also recall the terror of being taken into that surgery room with like a million robots and people...I was glad to pass out shortly thereafter!! Glad that there was no endo and that maybe removing the polyps will help things? And curious about why he left the fibroid. Glad your recovery is going well (also a little jealous, not gonna lie!) and hope Sam keeps working on that bedside manner!! :)
ReplyDeleteYay!!! Glad you survived, sounds like you did awessoooommme! Even despite all the confusion at the zoo! So glad that there was no endo! I'm with you, I hate all the needles and cords and everything, but I admire you because sounds like you rocked it!!! Hope you are getting rest now!
ReplyDeleteDoctor's offices make me crazy. I swear, sometimes I just wanna jump over the front desk and organize everything myself! lol Glad they finally figured stuff out for you and that your surgery went well. It is pretty nervewracking so good job keeping it together!
ReplyDeleteAs for finding no endo.. I'm sorry and happy for you. I know exactly what you mean. Still no solid answers.. :/ Hopefully removing the polyps will help. Feel better soon and get some sleep! :)
Oh my goodness... First, I'm glad that nothing too big was found and that you can rule something else out. Though, I do know how frustrating it is to want to find something, so that you actually have something to try and fix. Second, I hope your hand is feeling better - I hate hand IV's!!! Thinking of you and hoping that your recovery is still going well! xoxo
ReplyDeleteThat Amanda/Amanda thing is crazy. ARGH!!!! Glad they eventually got it figured out. But more importantly, you did it!!! I'm so glad they didn't find much and also that you're feeling pretty good afterwards.
ReplyDeleteYou are a survivor!!!! I am so glad that everything went well. I know that it can be so frustrating though to not get an answer. Sending you many many thoughts! Amanda is such a great name...no wonder so many of us have it.... :)
ReplyDeleteSorry it was so stressful! I'm surprised they didn't give you something to calm your nerves before you went back to the OR. GLAD you survived and the results were good. Polyps can prevent implantation so fingers crossed this leads to a baby!!
ReplyDeleteDang straight you're a survivor! Happy to hear that in the end things went well. Cheering for a speedy recovery from CO! :)
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear everything went well and that recovery is going relatively smooth. You're a lucky girl! ;)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh that pre-op situation sounds like my worst nightmare! Going that long without eating/peeing/getting stuck numerous times by needles...I would have chickened out and gone home! Kudos to you for sticking it out and thank goodness you had Sam. And I'm glad your recovery is going well. Keep resting girl because we have some hootin' and hollerin' to do this Thursday and Friday! ;)
ReplyDeleteWow! That sounds like a nightmare! Good for you for making it through (relatively) unscathed.
ReplyDeleteOh you poor thing. I'm glad everything went well and ur just a bit sore. Hope your recovery goes well. I'm scared to death to go through this but I have to wait until the 16th to find out the next step.
ReplyDeleteGlad that's over with. What a day! Off to read the results...
ReplyDeleteI loved this post, Amanda. Being previously employed in the OR and currently working for an OB/GYN practice, it was so neat to "experience" the patient's side of the procedure. I am so glad your LAP went well and glad about NO ENDOMETRIOSIS! Wonderful news!
ReplyDelete