Monday, October 29, 2012

Curious Cats

So you know the old adage, Crazy Old Cat Lady? There is something about older, single, ladies that appears to draw cats. Are they unmarried because they have cats? Or do they have so many cats because they aren't married? Hmmmmmm.

Okay, spinster cat ladies, is actually NOT the topic here. But I've begun to notice a trend, and I'm wondering if there is anything scientific behind this:

Infertile Ladies are More Likely to have Cats than Fertile Myrtles

I know, I know, that seems crazy. What proof do I have? Very subjective evidence I'll admit, but cheek this out. I follow the blogs of 23 ladies who have dealt with or are dealing with infertility, include me, and that makes 24.

Crazy (Cool) Cat Ladies:
  1. Me
  2. Scrambled Eggs
  3. Submerged
  4. If You Don't Stand for Something
  5. Something Beautiful
  6. From my Bathtub
  7. Hopeful and Hungry
  8. My Bum Ovaries
  9. Just Stop Trying and It Will Happen
  10. Sometimes it's Hard to get Pregnant
  11. Patience is not my Virtue
That is almost HALF!!! Now, tell me, are half of your female friends cat owners? Not mine. I'm constantly surrounded by "I'm allergic" and "I'm a dog person". In fact, I think I recently met the only other person I know in real life who owns a cat. So it's strange to me that HALF of my fellow TTCers own cats. Now obviously, not all infertiles have cats. In fact, by my little "experiment" here, more than half do not. So it is quite apparent that there is NOT a direct correlation between cat ownership and infertility. But it does seem that there is some type of connection. What might it be?

Possible Answers to this Question:

  1. Cats cause infertility (hmmmm, seems doubtful, but I guess possible)
  2. Infertile women are innately more attracted to cats than fertile women (maybe this is how spinsters end up with so many cats)
  3. I am subconsciously drawn to fellow bloggers who have cats

If you google cats and infertility you'll get the usual about toxoplasmosis and the risks there, but obviously that has more to do with staying pregnant or keeping baby healthy, and nothing to do with getting pregnant. But there do seem to be lots of "old wive's tales" out there that cats cause infertility. Odd. There are also lots of stories about people getting rid of a cat due to infertility or fear over a pregnancy. Hmmmm…

I don't know about you ladies, but I've had a cat since I was 8 years old. She was my first pet. She was a blue pint Himalayan named Soo Ming. I loved that little girl to pieces. She died at the ripe old age of 16. Broke my poor little heart.

Now, I have a seal point Himalayan named Everest. She is three and a half. She is basically the sweetest little fur ball you've ever seen. And she is a trooper too. I don't think she would have come home with me quite so calmly had she known we were going to add a 8 week old Weimaraner to the mix 6 months later.

Everest,  lying across Harry Potter so I am forced to pet her

I can't imagine that this little baby is the root of all of my problems, nor that my first cat was. Although, I do suspect that if I ever do bring home a baby, Everest will throw a royal hissy fit. She didn't like the addition of husband to the mix, now her giant grey brother. I'm guessing baby won't win her over either.


So what do you think? Is there anything here? Strange coincidence? What about you, are your infertile friends cat owners?

7 comments:

  1. You know me. . .cats have never been in my history, and I was infertile for years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cats make everything better. ;) I couldn't imagine life without them.
    -Jessica (From My Bathtub)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment about 8-week-old Sterling made me laugh out loud! Poor Everest had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I just found your blog through Bree @ Thought Provoking Moments. This post is awesome. I am also infertile and a cat owner! Your kitten is so so adorable! So cute!! Wishing you the best on your journey. I'm excited to catch up and follow along!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me smile :o) If you watch the vlog I posted last week, you will see that my kitty can't stand not being the center of attention. I think we're all just a few failed attempts at parenthood away from being crazy cat ladies. Also, your cat is beyond precious--I just want to snuggle her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog via the November ICLW list, and I'm another infertile who loves cats. We're apartment dwellers at the moment, so no cats for us, but you can be sure, if we could have one... I'd have one. :) Preferably an orange tabby male.

    Sorry, I posted my comment before I was done. I noticed that you're currently reading "Love & Respect". So am I! What do you think of it so far?

    ReplyDelete