Thursday, October 11, 2012

Lucky to be in Love with My Best Friend

That's what our wedding bands say. Sam's says "lucky to be in love" and mine says "with my best friend." And it's true, for so many reasons. Obviously in this walk of life, I need a friend, a lover, a partner, an encourager, a confidant. Sam is all of these things to me.

Way back when, in our newlywed days I wrote a little post about how fabulous my husband is and how lucky I am to call him mine. Well, it's time to do that again. What spurred this outpouring of wifely love and support? Sam finished his second clinical today, and I can't help but be reminded of how far we've come.

It's hard to believe but at the end of sophomore year, Sam's GPA was a 2.5 (freshman year was rough). You don't get into graduate school with a GPA like that. Sam made the tough decision to quit the basketball team and focus on getting his GPA up. He switched majors to Exercise Science as more of the required courses for that were also required for PT school.

Fast forward to graduation, Sam pulled his GPA up to 3.2. That was freaking AWESOME, but we still didn't know if it would be enough to get into PT school. That darn GRE, which I KNEW had no relation to success as a PT, was standing in the way. Long story short, he got in (obviously).

But Sam hasn't just passed, he's been AMAZING! Out of 6 academic semesters, he made straight A's in 4. In his most recent clinical, he was supposed to attain "advanced intermediate level" proficiency in order to pass. Well, wouldn't you know, he achieved at least "entry level" on everything. Which means right now, he's proficient enough to start work. And he still has 2 more clinical rotations before graduation. Imagine how fabulous he'll be then.

Dear future employers, Please, feel free to fight over him. Submit your offer and we will review and consider them all. We look forward to working with you and receiving a paycheck.

So needless to say my husband is going to be a fabulous PT. It's been amazing to watch this journey unfold and see him grow during the last 7 years. It's also incredible to watch someone's dreams come true. I think so many people (myself included) struggle to choose a major or find fulfillment in a career. Not Sam. He's known what he's wanted for years and he's worked really hard to get it. I'm just a smidge bit proud if you couldn't tell.

In the midst of the most challenging, stressful, and overwhelming chapter of our story thus far, it is wonderful to have complete belief that my husband is going to be an incredible, dependable provider for our family (whatever shape or size that may be). He is a rock in the midst of this storm and I couldn't be more proud to call him my husband! These two and a half years have truly been some of the best years of my life. I'd like the current season to end, but there is NO ONE I would rather walk through this with. I love you Sam!

Stay tuned because after today, Sam is a free man for the next 3 days (big break I know). But we have a lot of fun scheduled in this little weekend, and I for one, could really use some fun right about now!

2 comments:

  1. Heck yes it's gonna be fun! I can't wait to see y'all! It's almost as if Doc KNOWS he gets to see Sterling this weekend. ;) The Fentons are pumped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you make your mother-in-law feel blessed! I'm so very proud of BOTH of you--you have contributed so much to Sam's being where he is right now in his journey to being a full-fledged PT. Thank you, and I love you!

    ReplyDelete