I used to wonder (until very recently) how ladies got to be "so old" before those decided to start treatment. I mean, I completely understand that some people don't get married in their 20's. I get that. I've learned living on the doorstep of Atlanta, that most people in big cities think I'm crazy that I felt "old" getting married at 24. But I come from a small town where more than one friend actually married her high school sweetheart, and they never, ever broke up. I'd say 22 or 23 was the average age for the currently married crowd to say "I do". So I never understood how people who got married decently young end up in their mid-30's trying for baby #1. I now fully understand how this happens. The years just kind of melt away. There's this whole timeline that you have to go through, and it takes years to get to treatment for most and then treatment can take years (and years, and years).
Steps to ending up way older than you ever thought you'd be to start your family:
- You have to decide you want a baby.
- You're "Not trying, just not NOT trying"
- Trying
- Trying harder
- Then you have to accept that something is "not quite right".
- Then you have to go see your OB/GYN, at what point you get told to "try harder" or you jump straight to Clomid (because everybody does Clomid).
- And if your OB/GYN can't get you knocked up, you debate about a specialist.
- Then you try IUI's. If you're really lucky all 3 will be in a row, but you might end up with a cancelled cycle in their too.
- And when the IUI's fail, they recommend IVF, which of course you haven't been saving for, because to start ahead of time, would foreshadow your impending doom.
- Save for IVF
- Begin the long journey that is IVF
That however was not my choice. Sure I want a house, and a dog, and a fence (not white picketed, but still), but I've always been a firm believer that there will never be a "perfect time" to start a family. You can always say you need more money, or a better job, or a better city before you start a family. That's why I placed none of those things before becoming a parent. My only stipulation prior to motherhood: marriage. But here I am, embarking on 27 without a job (let alone a career), or a house, OR a baby. So I pretty much have nothing to show for myself.
And I now fully understand how time slips away. We've been actively trying to get pregnant for 17 months. Sometimes it seems like forever, and sometimes it seems like yesterday. The months, while tedious to live through, pile one on top of the other. So yea, I see how fellow TTCers got to be 30 or older so easily now. It's not that they signed up for a late start. It's that this process is just that, a process. The lucky ones get off the conveyer belt of infertility early on, but the rest remain on, slowly aging.
Can I get off please?
No comments:
Post a Comment