Friday, March 28, 2014

Stuck on Repeat

Well friends, it's another negative. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad... super sad. Two more of my embryos died. Two thousand more dollars were spent for another negative. I really don't know what else to say... we tried, we failed (again).

I have absolutely no idea where we need to go from here. I know I'm not ready to kiss the dream goodbye, but I also know that I am so, so tired. I'm so over this season, this journey. Can I have a different story? Even if the grass isn't as green as I imagine it is on the other side, I'm ready to cross over. But how much more do I want to go through? How much of the dream am I willing to give up? Genetics? The pregnancy? The birth? Infancy? Do we move on to the next logical step and simply try IVF again, maybe at a better clinic like CCRM? But what if that fails too? Then what? We'll have spent $30,000 on CCRM... we'll need another $10,000-35,000 to move on to the next, next step. Or should I simply admit that my eggs aren't up to par and skip a second round of IVF? Should we go straight to adoption or donor embryos? I feel overwhelmed by the possibilities, but even more so by all the zeroes following the dollar signs.

We do technically have four (maybe three) frozen embryos. One 8 cell, one 6 cell, one 4 cell, and one 3 cell.... the 3 cell is the questionable one. I don't really understand  enough about meiosis and mitosis and all that stuff to get what my doctor was saying, but essentially, he's not sure that the 3 cell actually has male DNA in it. I know, weird. Essentially he said on Saturday (day two) the egg looked to be unfertilized, so he reported that we had seven embryos. But when we showed up on Sunday, what had looked like an unfertilized egg the day before suddenly had three cells. He's unsure if it successfully fertilized or not... at least, I think that's what he said. The 8 and 4 cell are frozen together and the 6 and the 3 cell make our fourth straw. At this moment, if we did another FET next, I'd want to transfer all four. I can't believe I'm saying that... three months ago transferring three seemed like a terrifying and dumb choice... but that was transfer one and this would be transfer three, with the four worst embryos. The odds have to be incredibly small of a 3 cell, day 3, grade 3 embryo becoming our take home baby. I don't want to toss it, but I just don't feel good about transferring either group alone.

I really don't know which way is forward... all paths thus far just seem to circle us around and around and around. Our story just seems to be stuck on repeat. But ultimately, we have time to figure it out. As we don't have $30,000 in our bank account, we're not ready to move forward with plan G, H, I, J or K. In the mean time, I'm going to let myself cry, take a long, hot bath, and drink a Diet Coke... and there's probably a pint of Ben and Jerry's Salted Caramel Core in my very near future. Other than that, I'm going to look forward to the good things we have ahead: house hunting continues tomorrow and anniversary next Thursday. Life's not all bad... I've got to remember that.


24 comments:

  1. Ugh it's so not fair :( I am so sorry this time didn't work out, that stinks! I agree to let yourself be sad and cry. You are in my continued prayers. **HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amanda, I'm so so sorry. I know you must be heartbroken, understandably so. I was so hoping and praying that this would be your time, your cycle, and that these embryos would result in your take home baby. I will be in heartfelt prayer for you and your husband as you deal with this disappointment and try to figure out what is next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Amanda. I really wished this chapter had a better outcome. Please don't lose hope u will get ur miracle baby(ies) and become a mom in the near future. Thinking of u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. That sucks. :(. I am sorry you are getting more bad news. Ice cream and a good cry sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Sending you a big hug. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I'm so sorry Amanda. Praying for your peace and strength to have hope for your other frozen embies. Cry all you want and eat that ice cream. Sending hugs from California!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was hoping and praying this would be your cycle. I pray you have peace about whatever decision you decide on next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been following your blog for a little while now, but this is my first comment. As an infertile myself who is at a crossroads, I was so hoping that this would be your time. You seem so thorough, so responsible, so ready to love a little one and so deserving. It's just not fair. I hope you give yourself a long soak and as much Ben and Jerry's as you want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh friend. My heart is aching with yours. My head is confused as to why IF has to effect so many wonderful women whom I've grown to call friends. I'm so sad for you and with you. I'm always here for you and will never stop praying. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh sweet girl. I am so sorry. This is so unfair and I wanted this so badly for you. I hope you still have hope & optimism in your heart for your quartet. For now - drink, eat, soak, cry. You earned it. Big hugs lady. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda I am so sorry this cycle didn't work out. We are so alike in our need to have a plan. You have a lot of great options already in your head and I know your heart will lead you down the right path. Until then your plan for tonight sounds fantastic and I love (and envy) that you can still see the positives when you are hurting. Please know that you are not alone and this whole community is here for you and always always praying and rooting for you. Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't give up yet! It was my 6 th time with my least best embryo that resulted in my beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe shucks. No words to tell you how sorry I am or how much I truly know it sucks. Drink the wine, eat the ice cream, and keep holding onto those good things you mentioned like house hunting and your anniversary. So glad you still have a couple lifelines with the embryos from the past retrieval too. You're not out of the game by any means! Hang in there! I know it's exhausting, but I truly believe something will give for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh. :'( I'm so, so sorry. I was thinking about you today and was so excited for you to get a positive and I'm so heartbroken for you. It just doesn't make sense does it? Ugh. I'll be praying so much for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart is heavy, I'm so so sorry dear friend. I will continue to pray for you. Take care of yourself. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry to hear this didn't work. I know how hard this can be. I admire how positive you still are! I know that when we bought our house, it was a nice/needed distraction, so maybe that will be nice for you too? Happy anniversary! Thinking of you and sending you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amanda, I'm so sorry. I'm not sure if I commented on that part earlier, but you said something along the lines of these embryos already being your babies, and how much you already love them. I can so relate to this, and I'm so sorry you don't get the chance to carry them or raise them now.
    Hang in there. I'm impressed you are already thinking of the positive things in your life. Give yourself time to grieve (and eat ice cream), too. Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I'm so sorry. Hang in there. Give yourself some time to process and then you'll be able to figure out what to do next more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I've been following from a far, but first time commenting, I think. We share a similar story. I also have a high AMH (4.54) but only produced 12 eggs (8 mature) and only had 5 that fertilised. I've been debating between continued FETs and a fresh cycle as well. You did quite a bit of research before choosing your clinic. I hope they are able to offer some answers and insight with regard to your embryos. For what it's worth, it may be worth a phone consult with CCRM to see if they'd have any suggestions you could use at a local clinic. In the meantime, be good to your self!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never commented before but I completely know where you are. Your story sounds just like mine...young with dismal embryo quality that you didn't discover until ivf. We were stuck on repeat over and over again with treatments until I couldn't handle anymore and we've moved onto adoption. Not an easy path either but so much more hopefully for me than treatments were. Good luck with whatever you decide to pursue.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry Amanda. News like this is beyond heartbreaking, especially when you've been on this road for so long. I get where you're coming from about being done and wanting to move on. Honestly, it may be worthwhile to start exploring, not because I'm telling you to move on, but more because it will help alleviate the feeling of being stuck. Thinking of you as you process all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Amanda, I am so sorry. This is not what I was hoping to read this morning. Take care of yourself, my friend. I'm thinking of you and praying for you today. Many hugs and love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry Amanda :( I like that you ended your post on a positive note. There are indeed good things to focus on!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amanda, I'm so sorry to read this. This is such a hard and unfair journey. Sending you lots of hugs and hope you have a great anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amanda, I am so, so sorry. So, so sad for you and your husband. Saying a prayer for continued peace...and as always, for a baby. Someway, somehow, someday...a child for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete