It's Raining in Georgia
I've been really careful over the last few days months of rain in good ol' Athens not to complain... I mean it's rain, it's not the end of the world. And I'd rather have rain than be in jeopardy of losing my house from terrible fires like in Arizona and Colorado. Or poor Texas who has been in the worst drought since the Dust Bowl for what seems like forever now. But it's come to a point that I simply can't take the rain... and I LOVE rainy days. L-O-V-E them. There is nothing better than an afternoon nap during a good rain storm (well, yes, there is something better... it's called snow, but Georgia doesn't know what that is). But really, enough is enough.
I'm fairly certain that it has rained every day for the last month, maybe longer. If by chance we managed to escape the day without rain, I'm fully confident it rained that night. It's rained when the Weather Channel says there's currently a 0% chance of rain. My backyard looks like the Okefenokee Swamp moved in. Literally. And with the swamp comes swamp like characteristics like MOSQUITOES. Poor Sam, mosquitoes love him. Even Sterling's getting bitten. It's to the point that my floor is just wet and muddy at all times... our very own slip and slide. So fun. It's time for the rain to end... at least for a day or two. The ground is fully saturated. If I could pipe this stuff out west, I would, but as I can't, I'm just asking for the rain clouds to share the wealth, you know?
Let me show you some evidence of this weather phenomenon. First up, my yard. We live in a little duplex and the owner promised to cut the grass... score! As we don't currently have a lawn mower (it died in Augusta), this was great news. Sam was never too on top of grass cutting, so I'm cool with the once every two weeks status quo... unless two weeks of grass growth leaves me with a JUNGLE! Seriously, it's insane! There are some paving stones that make a sort of walkway from the door to the driveway... I can't currently find them. Every morning and afternoon I have to wade through this green grassland in heels, dress pants, etc. It's not pretty. And because you don't believe me, I've included a photo of the madness. The car in the right corner is my 4-Runner... grass is getting dangerously high. We may have to off road it before too long right up to the front door.
And last night Athens experienced the storm of the century. Unfortunately, I was driving in it and I was far more concerned about surviving the white water rapids coming down Broad Street straight at me to take too many photos, but I assure you it was intense. Cars were swerving left and right... anything other than SUV's and trucks were seriously in jeopardy of flooding. I kept remembering that there's some rule like "don't cross moving water of more than 5 inches" or something like that... hahaha. At the bottom of the hills, with water rushing in from both directions, the water was cresting the bottom of car doors. In some places it seriously looked like rivers... with rapids. Add in cars and trucks creating some massive wake, well you get the idea. I did manage to snap a picture at a red light of a waterfall. Athens doesn't really have any waterfalls, until now.
| Athens' newest attraction: Who knew you could go rafting down Broad Street? |
So yea, breaking news. The forecast calls for rain every day until the world ends. I've also decided that this may be (in part) my fault. You know how your period will start as soon as you leave the house wearing white pants with no tampons in sight? Yea, well, it will rain, A LOT, as soon as I set foot outside with my TOMS on. And you guys, I love my TOMS. They are the ballerina style, so I feel like I can get away with them at work, but canvas shoes do not do well in the rain. I have to park about a ten minute walk away from my office... needless to say they are pretty damp by the time I find shelter. I'm starting to worry that they may disintegrate… or rot. Sad day. So yea, it's raining in Georgia… again.
Wow reading this just my crampy, crabby self feel better :) I do feel bad for you in your jungle water rafting for sure but your description made me laugh so thanks for that right now, I need it in addition to all the ibuprofen I am currently taking...haha Hope things start to dry up for and your TOMS make it out ok too.
ReplyDeletegoodness, stay safe when driving!! that is crazy, I wish you could donate to some of us in TX!
ReplyDeleteAmanda! I am so glad you took a pic I experience the same waterfall and was trying to explain it to Josh. He of course just looked at me like I was crazy. :) Yesterday leaving work my skirt got drenched (good try rain jacket.. but no luck). Then to add insult to injury a car drove by and splashed water all over me.. I was really hoping someone was filming at this point. Then as I was trying to cross at a crosswalk the water was flowing over my wedges so I took them off.. and they started to FLOAT AWAY down the street. Cool, rain, cool. haha Seriously feared for my life with flooding yesterday. Let's buy an inflatable raft and commute together!
ReplyDeleteYes and amen to everything here. I am SO SICK of the stupid rain and storms!! Our grass is just as bad, but there's nothing we can do because it never dries up enough to be able to mow! If we tried to mow, we would get stuck in the mud!! It is out of control and I vote that someone needs to do something about it.
ReplyDeleteI am with ya girl! It's been a wet summer up here in New Englad too! Although it looks like next week we will see a break in the action. Thank god! That picture of the "waterfall" is INSANE! I hope you have a life raft!
ReplyDeleteYes, the rain needs to quit it already! We had a crazy storm in Ohio yesterday too- no waterfalls in the street, but I did say to myself "turn around, don't drown" on the way home while busting through some crazy standing water!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I can't beleive that "waterfall"!! I, too, LOVE rain. Nothing like a rainy day (especially on the weekend) to sit and do nothing... and not feel bad about it because it's raining out! But, THAT much rain... that's enough to make anyone depressed!!
ReplyDeleteWish you can send some of that rain over to Texas. Its getting ridiculously hot and everything is drying up.
ReplyDeleteFor crying out loud, IT NEEDS TO STOP RAINING!! I am totally with you. I was in NJ this week where it was dry and 15 degrees warmer than GA. Of course I complained about the heat, but at least I could get some Vitamin D while I was there. Let's hope the weekend is drier for us!
ReplyDeleteWhoa...looks like some serious rain you're having! We had a lot of rain earlier in the summer and the mosquitos have been horrendous. Like Sam, I'm prime bait for mosquitos. Not fun.
ReplyDelete