We're kind of in a stalling pattern these days. We've got some tentative plans, but nothing has really been decided. Typically I'd be all "got to go faster, can't wait one more second, if I fake a massive bleed, can I see the doctor today?", but instead I'm pretty chill. If I had $10,000 sitting in my bank account, I'm sure I'd be FREAKING OUT about the delay, but as I currently don't have even half of that, I figure a month or two delay won't kill us. We've got two appointments currently set up... we're taking some PTO to knock these guys out... crazy vacation, woo, woo! We're seeing Dr. Slayden (current RE at ExpensoIVF aka RBA) and Dr. Massey. If you've been a looonnnggg time reader, you may remember that we saw Dr. Massey over six months ago. This is where the Saga of the Phantom Fibroid got started... but it's also where I can get IVF for $6,975 including ICSI. I figure it's worth another appointment to see how we feel about the clinic, process, etc.
I'm not really looking forward to either of these appointments to be honest. I think they are both going to be tough. I love Dr. Slayden, but I'm going to have to be really honest with him... no sunshine and roses, I need reasons for the falling success rates and reasons for the jacked up prices if I'm going to continue in his care. The other appointment doesn't sound too fun either. I figure it'll go something like this, "So Doc, last time you said there was a large fibroid on my uterus, well I'm here to tell you that there's not. I've got the photos of my insides to prove it." Essentially, I want to know what corners they are cutting to offer IVF at that cost, and what kind of doctor/patient/nurse interraction I can expect. Who knows, it may be that other clinics are simply making bank... sending their kids to Princeton and driving a Porsche to work each day.
Beyond these two polar opposites, we're investigating other clinics still. I'm really interested in one that was recommended to me in Florida called FIRM. It seems like it might be the best of both worlds... a large clinic that has state of the art facilities and all the sciencey stuff needed, but they offer IVF at a much
Anyway, I think the plan is to speak to both of the Atlanta clinics (August 26). From there, based on what we learn, we will decide whether we want to pursue additional consults at other clinics like ACRM, FIRM, or PREG. While I'd love to go have a consultation at every possible candidate, at $100-250 a pop, the consults add up and simply set us further back financially. Hopefully once we have made the decision of where to cycle, we will be able to decide on a payment option. I currently feel like this: cheap(er) clinic- save until we can pay in full in cash, ridiculously overpriced clinic- continue to save until D-day, take out a
Sounds like a good holding pattern you're in...patient, but with a plan. I like it! Can't wait to hear how the consults w/ Dr S and Dr Massey go. In the meantime...get some sun! Cause I think I heard thunder again...wah wah wah.
ReplyDeletePatience certainly doesn't come easy with this stuff! Happy to hear you're holding up okay. It sounds like you have a well thought out plan. Enjoy the next few weeks before your appointments!
ReplyDeleteWow. You are one amazing gal, you know that?! I love your attitude. I love your plan of attack and I really admire how you are being such a great advocate for yourself. Cheering you on all the way. Pom poms in hand!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so beyond impressed with your patience right now... and your plan... you think everything out so well... I know that you'll find the right place for you to cycle and that you'll know it's the place for you when you go there :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're doing all your research. That's fantastic. I've heard that there are grants out there to help with the costs of IVF. Just something to think about. Totally admire your patience as well.
ReplyDeleteWe are going to be having a "come to Jesus" talk with our RE later this month as well. I've never had a conversation like that with a doctor before so I'm a little nervous.
ReplyDeleteYou certainly seem very informed and I think you'll do a great job communicating your wants/needs/concerns/etc. I'll be so interested to hear how it all goes.
You are so proactive about all this, I admire it!!!!
ReplyDeleteI know I'm a little late to comment on this, but I hope everything is ok with Sterling! And it sounds like things are going OK for you too, I admire how patient you're feeling while you wait on your appointments! It sounds like it's given you plenty of time to research your options. I will definitely be thinking about you on August 26!
ReplyDelete