When I first began treatment way back when, I occasionally felt like I was doing something wrong. I felt that if I was meant to be a mom, it would happen naturally, so when we moved on to treatment, sometimes I wondered if God heard "I'll show you". Like if He won't give me a baby, then I'll just make one for myself. Oh silly me! All of this is ridiculous I know. There is NOTHING that I can do to MAKE a baby. But treatment let me feel like I had some level of control in all of this, and that was comforting. It was always in the back of my mind that even if we went all the way through treatment to the end and never came home with a baby, I could adopt still. But then I worried if God heard, "If you won't give me one, I'll take one" from me. Again, silly me.
Hear me when I say: I have ZERO control over being a mom. I can do everything right every month, I can create a happy little home for an embryo, I can make my body super healthy, I can pay thousands of dollars for medical treatments, but none of that guarantees me a baby. Oh, and the adoption thing, that's not a sure thing at all. I know about 5 things about adoption currently and they are the following:
- I really, really want to adopt, but I don't feel ready now.
- It's expensive… like crazy expensive. Why? I don't know.
- It can take forever. If 2+ years is forever, than yea, it takes forever.
- It's crazy scary. Huge leaps of faith in people you've never met.
- There is NO guarantee that you will get a baby.
So yea, when I say I have no control over the situation, I mean it. I have no control over the situation. And I HATE it! I'm guessing that this is my lesson in all of this: I am not in control.
Now none of this is to say that I'm giving up. I'm still hoping and praying for a miracle. I'm going to continue to do everything available to become a mother. And it may happen. I might be a mom one day. In fact, I still feel like I will probably be a mom one day. But there are no guarantees. And that, my friends, is a very humbling realization.
Now none of this is to say that I'm giving up. I'm still hoping and praying for a miracle. I'm going to continue to do everything available to become a mother. And it may happen. I might be a mom one day. In fact, I still feel like I will probably be a mom one day. But there are no guarantees. And that, my friends, is a very humbling realization.
There is a sense of peace when you get to the point of letting go, and letting God as the slogan goes. It is so true that we have no control over some situations--we just do what we think is best and let God's will be done. I'll keep both you and Sam in my prayers. Love you.
ReplyDeleteThere is so much truth in this post. Thank you for posting it. It is just so hard to give up that control, especially when you have no idea what the end result will be. We just have to have faith in His plans for us--easier said than done, I know.
ReplyDeleteI feel the EXACT same way about all of this, but am definitely still pouting from post-iui failure! Boo hoo hoo :( I hate that there are no guarantees, but I love that God's promises are true and for our good even when everything else sucks.
ReplyDeleteI think this is HUGE in the process of seeking God's will. He wants us to realize that we are nothing, and that He is everything. Once we let go of our will it finally give Him the space and room to do what He has wanted to do all along. God has brought you on this journey so you will become desperately dependent on Him and when you do, He will bless you abundantly! Will be excited to see what He does now for you on your journey!
ReplyDeleteThis is almost exactly what I'm feeling and realizing right now. It's tempting to believe that IVF would guarantee a baby, but even that is up to the Lord. Oh, control...the love/hate relationship there. Sorry to hear you're struggling.
ReplyDelete