Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Heavy Heart for the Holidays

Not too much to report on the baby making front… We're au naturel for this cycle (and the next several), so not too much hope right not. But we are doing our part and carrying on as if BBT's and OPK's really do help make babies. Strangely, I got a positive OPK waaayyyyy early this cycle. The earliest I've ever gotten a positive OPK before during a non-medicated cycle was CD 16. Normal is CD 19. This month, I was dragging my butt and didn't start testing until Monday, CD13… and don't' you know, it was positive. I didn't get a shift on CD14, so I tested again… still positive. Hmmmm…. No clue what any of that means. I'd like to say that three months in a row of medication taught my body the appropriate time to ovulate, but I didn't get a shift today, CD15, either. So maybe it's the opposite, my body doesn't know how to do anything now without meds… lovely.

I am excited about the slew of appointments we have coming up! As you can see from my timeline, I have three appointments at different clinics to get second opinions, discuss IVF, and find the place I'm the most comfortable before moving on. We also have an appointment with a urologist, just to get a specialist to give us the all clear and thumbs up for Sam before we move on. I know that no one will have the magic key, it's called unexplained for a reason, they don't have a clue what's wrong, but I'm hoping that someone can restore some of my hope in the medical world. I want to really believe in the process if we are going to sink a down payment on a home into these procedures.

In the mean time, I'm going to try to enjoy Thanksgiving. I've read on several infertile ladies' blogs that they are skipping family time this year as it is just too tough… I wish. There's no escaping for us: Thanksgiving is being held at my mom's, which is where we currently live. There will be two precious new faces at Thanksgiving this year, my niece Alexis, and my cousin's little girl. But there should be three new little faces. Alexis is 8 months old, my cousin's baby is 7 months, and my little one would have been 6 months. Needless to say, I feel like the failure. Here's my grandmother wanting to hold and love on all her great-grandkids, and I failed to provide. Here's my mom cleaning the nursery that she converted a guest room into incase her granddaughter spends the night. She thought it would get tons of use from my niece and all of the babies I'd be bringing into the world. The crib has yet to be used. Poor mom.

My family will more than likely not even mention my failures at motherhood. And that is certainly not how any of them would put it. They are good people, and I love them all. But I will feel the underlying tension, hear the unspoken questions, even if it's all in my head. While every one oooo's and ahhhh's over the new little one's in the family, my heart will be breaking, I want someone to oooo and ahhhh over mine, but she's not here.

But there are plenty of wonderful people who are here, great conversations to be had, wonderful food to eat, and a beautiful home to celebrate the holiday in. It's a lot more than most people have. I will try my very best to keep bitterness at bay tomorrow, to love on my family, to serve with a joyful spirit. I am blessed, even while I'm waiting on one particular blessing.

16 comments:

  1. *hugs* I'm sorry to hear you've got a difficult holiday ahead of you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were living with my husband's parents last year and were forced to spend all day on Christmas with his family. I love my in-laws to pieces, but there were quite a few times that I had to sneak away and just cry.

    Don't be afraid to say you have a headache and need to lie down if you need a few minutes to yourself.
    Wishing you the best Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me sad to read you feel that well! Hope you can find some peace and enjoy the time together. Just know that God has a different plan for each person and if we compare ourselves to others, we automatically set ourselves up for disappointment!! happy tgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi from ICLW. I know how you feel my IVF #1 baby would have been 4 months old right now. There are days it is hard to imagine being childless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this :o( Thanksgiving is supposed to be such a happy time, and it just sucks that for so many of us, it is tainted with IF and loss. I'll be thinking and praying for you and all of my bloggy friends tomorrow.

    On a slightly brighter note, I nominated you for the Liebster Blog award. You can go to my blog to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a wonderful attitude. I hope you were able to take a moment away today if you needed to in order to cope.

    Visiting from ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi from iclw this is so hard around the holidays. I will keep you in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending thoughts and prayers your way & stopping by via ICLW!
    Bree :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings from ICLW!

    Holy ish, girl, you have a good attitude. The holidays are *so* hard. I managed to have a child-free Thanksgiving but christmas... eee gads, I start preparing for that in August.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by for ICLW (#19) and I just want to give you a big hug! Family events are so hard when your what-ifs are SO present in your mind. Try not to feel like a failure - this isn't your fault.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope Thanksgiving was OK for you - here via ICLW also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's times like these I've very thankful there aren't any babies in my family right now. I hope your Thanksgiving went well as possible. Here via ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi from ICLW...wishing you tons of luck even though you ae going natural cause you never know...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Visiting from ICLW. I hate how infertility makes us feel guilty, like we're failures because our bodies fail to do what we want them to. Keeping fingers crossed that you'll get lucky on a natural cycle. I didn't have any hope of even having a natural cycle, but my body decided to surprise me and even gave me a BFP that cycle.

    ReplyDelete