Monday, November 3, 2014

The Holidays are Here Again

It's November. I think people say this every year, and it's proably a sign of age, but really, this year has gone by SO fast. In a lot of ways last November feels like only a few weeks ago. Sometimes I have to remind myself that we actually already did IVF; I somehow forget we're not waiting for it to finally get her. I know we've done a lot this year: IVF in January, FET in March, bought a house in May, started the adoption process in September... maybe that's why this year has gone by particularly fast. I don't know why exactly, but waking up on Saturday, November 1st was depressing. I'm not ready for another holiday season.

For a lot of infertile couples, Halloween is hard. There are SO many pictures of cute kids all over Facebook and Instagram. The commercials on TV are all about candy, costumes, and fun family stuff. And then the actual day of Halloween arrives and you have to smile while handing out candy to everyone else's kid. For one reason or another Halloween never really gets me down though, and this year was no different. I'm not sure if that's because Halloween was the least celebrated holiday in my family growing up. Or maybe because I don't hand out candy but rather opt to hide in the house with a frantic dog with a bucket of candy on the porch. Or maybe it's because everyone kept posting these hilarious photos of their kids having meltdowns in their costumes. But for whatever reason, I wasn't sad, or weepy, or whiny on Friday. Well, except for the fact that it was 60 degrees in my house... wahhhhh! Sam and I quietly worked on our puzzle for the adoption fundraiser while singing loudly every time we heard kids in our pathetic attempt to distract Sterling. It was a pleasant (cold) evening and I was fine.

Saturday morning however, I looked at my phone and saw the date. How is it November, already? And then I was suddenly sad. It's the holiday season again, and once again we will celebrate sans children. That pretty much feels like a sucker punch straight to the gut. Especially in light of the fact that even with infertility factored into the equation, I should have a two and a half year old and a new baby to celebrate the holidays with. I can honestly say I'm looking forward to the holidays the least amount I ever have before, and for someone who LOVES Christmas, that's quite a change.

Even though I swore I'd never do Christmas with all of the family again after Christmas 2012, we powered through last year because: IVF, and hope, and all those warm feelings made me semi numb to the holiday season. In November we were frantically dotting the Is and crossing the Ts for our trip to Jacksonville. In December, I was packing and double checking all of my medications and worrying about keeping everything at the optimal temperature. There was just a lot of stuff to take my mind off of all the holiday stuff. This year however, I'm expecting that we'll enter the waiting period right around the Thanksgiving holidays. The home study will be over, the profile books will be ordered (and hopefully mailed)... we'll just be waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

I honestly don't know if I have it in me to do this again. To smile. To laugh. To sit quietly while 20 kids run though the house. To pretend I'm not in pain. There is a huge part of me that simply wants to run away for the holidays. I want to find some cabin in the woods and settle in with my husband and enjoy the holiday the only way I know how (alone). Or as it appears we've already skipped Fall in Georgia and gone straight to winter, maybe a nice tropical vacation. I hear Jamaica is nice this time of year. But let's get real, that's not going to happen. We're saving for a freaking adoption, not long weekends in the mountains or island vacations. The only free holiday is at my mom's, so that's where we'll be. It's time to man up, put on the big girl panties, and find things that I still enjoy about the holidays. Now is not forever... I just need to keep reminding myself over and over and over again.

13 comments:

  1. I feel like you just read everything out of my journal about the upcoming holidays. I'm with you in trying to find things we enjoy. Now is NOT forever. Thank you so much for sharing this! Big hugs, thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me third on this subject! I can't believe it's that time again...ugh. Thinking of you!! (Although I am getting total and complete joy with all of Erika's pictures of sweet Millie!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can get yourself up here, you can have a free holiday getaway in MinneSNOWta! We can snowshoe, and cross country ski, and bake cookies.....and just do all sorts of fun things that will distract us from being childless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you are feeling down about the holidays. I've been there. Given how open you are about your journey, I guess your family knows about your struggles, so you might not actually have to pretend not to be in pain (?) - I know that's still a far cry from actually being happy, but perhaps it's still better than pretending happiness. Thinking of you and hoping that next Christmas will be so very different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I totally feel you- so unfair that spending a week in Mexico would deplete the Baby Money!!! I hope that you find some wonderful distractions to get you through the tough days. Perhaps another re-watch of Gilmore Girls, all seasons?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, I'm so sorry!! I can totally relate! :( I wish we had gobs of extra money lying around so I could send you to Jamaica! Hugs friend. Sorry to be negative, but I'm afraid I'm going to have a hard time with the holidays this year too. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. I know. I know just how you feel. I hate it so much for you, I hate that you have to go through this again. Thinking of you ALWAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup they're here again. For once I really will be enjoying the holidays with my husband. Everyone else decided to get out of the country with their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also can relate to how you feel about the holidays. We actually did plan a Christmas away last year for all the reasons you mentioned. Especially in a big family with lots of young children and babies, it can be rough. Although a trip is not in the budget right now, I still think scheduling some time for yourself is a good idea. Maybe a Christmas stay-cation at your house where you can sleep in and drink hot cocoa and read a fun novel? Or a movie date with just you and your hubby to get away from the chaos after a family holiday meal. You should not feel bad at all for needing some space. Thinking of you and hoping for great things in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Now is not forever." I like it. I'll keep repeating it to myself. Love you friend

    ReplyDelete
  11. I swear I did the same thing for Halloween... after my teaching partner called me a scrooge, I realized I should at least put candy out, but wine helped!

    I like your motto, and I get everything you said in this post... it's crazy that despite everything we've been through, we do manage to slap a smile on and get through it. That's how it'll go, I'll just "get through it". You're getting so close to your dream, keep that chin up. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. The holidays are so, so tough. Halloween was not fun for us this year and we were those people who shut off our porch lights and went out to dinner to avoid the cute kids. All I think about when I think of the holidays is about how I was pregnant at this time last year and pregnant at Christmas and planning for what this year would be like with a baby... who then died. I think all you can do is try to find the joy in the season that you used to know and be as happy as you can (even if it isn't very happy). We can only do what we can do! You'll have happy holiday seasons in your future, though, I know it.. and maybe you'll have good news these holidays! Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holidays are rough. I'm not sure they'll ever be the same as they were before we started trying to have a baby!

    ReplyDelete