The wait can really start to alter your thoughts too. I started off reading the profile of this mother last Saturday feeling really sad for her. All of these scenarios are sad... many are really frustrating too, but they are all sad. I started off the week simply praying for the birth mom. I wanted her to find clarity and peace with her decision, whether that was to parent or place the child for adoption. Believe me, I'm not interested in adopting someone's baby if that person wants to parent... does that make sense?But as the days wore on, my thoughts slowly began to shift away from her and her needs to me and my needs. And then I read this:
And, oh, how my heart needs tuning! I forget His goodness. I forget there are “streams of mercy, never ceasing.” I forget that I’m already accepted, covered, held, known, beloved. And when I forget that I’m His cherished daughter, I start hustling for my worth. Grasping for “good” as if I don’t already have access to the Giver of every good thing.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it.
I’d never play a song with an out of tune guitar, but so often (too often) I am willing to live with a heart that is out of tune. Dissonant. Fearful. Discontent. Ashamed. All because I don’t take the time to restore my heart to its rightful place, to a place of gratitude for a Love that will never leave me.
I love She Reads Truth... It's not always the meatiest, but the commentary reads like a conversation between friends. It's typically spot on and really refreshing. This particular excerpt is from a devotional on the hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing". It hit me as I read this that this next phase of the adoption process is going to be about repeatedly tuning my heart, over and over and over again.
It's easy to start with the best of intentions. That's exactly how I felt last Saturday. I remember reading through the profile and praying for that unborn baby and asking The Lord to provide THE BEST for this child... whether that be the birth mom, us, or another prospective adoptive couple. But after a few days, the anxiety, the fear, the hope, the dreams it started to affect my heart. By Thursday, I was in a different mindset. Anxiety over being rejected, fear of never being picked, hope of bringing home a baby, and dreams for our future pulled my heart away from wanting the absolute best for this birth mom and baby. Instead my focus turned inward to MY needs and MY future. It happened so fast.
I'll tell you this, this part of adoption feels completely foreign from fertility treatments. When I was waiting for beta, I felt justified in some way for praying for life. God is good, and He is the creator of life, so it felt natural to ask for life for my womb. But this feels very different. This is a child, and a woman, and a man, and potentially other family members... It seems insane to ask that they not keep their family together. But in the midst of me and my sadness and anxiety it's easy to inch that direction. So yeah, this process is going to be one long, continuous tuning of my heart. This is certainly not all about me... my heart's got to remember that.
We're still waiting to hear one way or another, but I'm feeling better today. The crazy anxiety left over the weekend. I'd definitely like to know one way or another, but I think I can give my keyboard a rest and only refresh my email once every 20-30 minutes now, verses every 2.4 seconds... it's progress friends. My heart is going to need continuous tuning, but I'll get there.
LOVED that devotional last week..I've always loved that hymn, but now I feel like I never really GOT IT, you know?? After you shared the link on FB last week I was shopping at Philanthropy downtown (have you been there, btw? It's amazing) and there was some wall art with 'tune my heart to sing thy praise' on it and it was like BAM! I would have bought it except that there was a bird on it and we all know I don't play that game. Oh well. ;) Sorry the wait has been so frustrating- it seems like you're properly going through every single emotion and dilemma as you wait and pray...it is definitely not for the faint of heart!!! I hope you hear one way or another soon.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get some answers soon girl. I don't understand what you are going through since we are on a different path, but I know waiting is never easy. I really want to check out the she reads truth stuff, because people keep posting about it!!!
ReplyDeleteI think of you every single day...I really hope you get answers soon. I know this waiting feels like torture. Big hug!!
ReplyDeleteYou have been on my heart! The never-ending beta... that seems to describe this perfectly. And I could understand how LONG of a wait that is. Beautiful post!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you lots in your wait! I love the She Read Truth devo! Filled with lots of great stuff! :) XOX
ReplyDeleteThis post is one I will be recommending for all who consider adoption in the future. Though there are similarities to fertility treatments, the point you touch on is that the focus needs to be on what's best for the child. With fertility treatments, there is zero debate. But with adoption, there are many other factors at play. And that can be so difficult, especially for the adoptive parents who simply long to expand their family.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you. Thinking of the birth mother too. Praying for all of you.
man, that makes sense the way you right it - of course it fees natural to long for pregnancy, but how can you long for someone to decide that they can't parent a child they conceived. I guess you just hope and pray for "the best" regardless of what that may be and what it may mean for you. This sounds like one of those "what dosent kill you..." scenarios. You are one tough lady, I know that!
ReplyDeleteI can 100% relate to this post!! Eeek!! Every single time I know our profile will be shown (and gracious it seems like sometimes the actual "showing" doesn't happen for weeks after we find out about it! Torture!). Sorry I don't have anything to encouraging to say about it getting better. For us, it has gotten harder with time, BUT I will hope and pray you won't have to wait so long! :) AND that you hear soon! You are SO right in that EVERY DAY since Friday I've been thinking I would wake up and know by the end of the day if we will be chosen, but, um... not yet.
ReplyDeleteI'm relating more to the hard part and not the "grace" part, but I need to get into that whole "tuning my heart" thing that's for SURE! :)
And I also need to check out that devotional. :)
I hope you have answers soon :) I've been thinking about you and I pray ya'll are chosen sooner rather than later for just the perfect situation. I have no idea what you are going through but I can only imagine how hard it must be.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness, what your going through right now sounds awful.... Gut wrenching! I am praying so hard for good news.... And soon! Thinking of you my sweet friend!
ReplyDelete