The sad news about today, cycle day two, is this: I've had my last supper. Not literally, obviously. I do intend to eat dinner tonight, but for all intents and purposes, it feels like I've had my last supper. I'm not sure if I've ever even mentioned this on the blog before, but after doing a lot of research over the last few months, I've decided to cut carbs, sugar (I know sugar is a carb, but they are separate in my head), and caffeine as I prepare for and complete IVF. There is a lot of research out there that suggests that a low-carb diet can increase your chances of success... particularly if you have PCOS. Well, the verdict is still out on the PCOS debate, but I'm at least borderline PCOS, so I figure it can't hurt. Essentially, a low-carb diet helps to lower the presence of the male androgens in the body (like testosterone). Women who were able to lower their testosterone levels seem to have noticeably higher success rates... it seems to be an egg quality thing.
I admittedly have the taste buds of a twelve year old. You will never see me snacking on carrots, nope, just not happening. I actually only learned to eat salads within the last three years or so... yeah, I was serious when I said the taste buds never matured. As I've planned to cut the carbs from my life, I've noticed that I eat A LOT of carbohydrates. I mean I knew I was a big fan of pasta and rice and that I have a love affair with bread, but man oh man, there are a lot more carbs out there. So sad. No more pizza. No pasta. No chinese food because it's all rice and noodles. No mexican food because it's all tortillas. No cereal. No chips... and that's just the carbs.
I'm also cutting out all sweets. Lord, help me! My mom LOVES to bake, so I've grown up in a house where we constantly had yummy treats for absolutely no reason at all. She'll whip up a chocolate cake "just because" and never think twice about it. Now I don't like to bake, but I've definitely brought the dessert
The caffeine thing has more to do with Sam than me... meaning I don't really think cutting caffeine this early has any affect on IVF or pregnancy. Obviously I'd quit once we started IVF, but I'm cutting it out this early for two reasons. First, I don't drink black coffee, or coffee with cream for that matter. If I drink coffee, it's going to be delicious. (Thanks so much, Starbucks!) I have no desire to drink coffee that doesn't taste like dessert, so it's kind of pointless. My other caffeine friend is Diet Coke, and that relationship just ended (cue sad trombones) because of the artificial sweeteners. I'm also cutting caffeine now because I've asked Sam to do it. FIRM hasn't mentioned anything about eliminating caffeine, but I know CCRM occasionally requires it, so we're going with that in hopes that he'll have the best swimmers available in January (even if they don't have to swim).
In preparation for Prohibition of Yumminess, I've been consuming everything I love like a ravenous beast. I've drawn comparisons to hibernation... need to build up my stores of goodness before all the good stuff is gone. But like a bear, I'm pretty sure I've packed on a few pounds for the upcoming shortage. Let's agree to label this "IVF weight", okay? Seems fair to me.
So yesterday when I woke up to see that I had indeed started, I clued Sam into the end of all goodness. We had already planned to go out with a bang... I'm fairly sure we accomplished this. I went to a local Athens favorite with my small group of college girls that I lead. Mama's Boy did not disappoint my need for carbs and sugar.
| Georgia Peach French Toast- yum! |
![]() |
| Papa John's Pizza- good bye carb heaven |
Tomorrow morning I'll call FIRM to schedule my appointment and let them know that we are ready to move forward... it's getting real!

Awesome! So glad you started and can move forward. Super excited to hear about the diet changes - I think it's such an important part of prepping our bodies for pregnancy!! Hope your call tomorrow goes great! xoxo
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh Amanda, this is so exciting!!! Kyle and I will be thinking about and praying for you guys this month - especially considering the no carbs/sugar/caffeine thing. ;) You go girl!! Love you and let us know if you need us to dogsit Sterling or anything else while you are gone!
ReplyDeleteMy friends husband had a vastectomy reversal. It was after 2 yrs of old fashioned trying considered to be not a success. They quit trying and made peace with no more babies. In the third year after the reversal my friend embarked on a carb free diet and lost 70+pounds, over the period of about a year. What would be during the fourth year she amazingly found herself pregnant. The family dr told her it was likely due to the low carb diet that the few swimmers her husband had made it to her egg! So maybe the low carb thing will help. :)
ReplyDeleteYay! So happy you are another step closer! Good luck with your diet changes!!
ReplyDeleteI will eat your share of carbs and sugar for you. Do you want me to take detailed notes and pictures so that you know how delicious it is?? ;)
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Gosh. That food looks ooey gooey yummy! You never know though...you may end up turning into a complete health nut once you start to try different foods and begin appreciating them for their raw unadulterated flavor. I bet it will happen! You can do this!
ReplyDeleteYay for starting!!!! I'm SO happy for you! And what the heck ARE you eating now?! xoxo
ReplyDeleteGood for you! My husband and I did the Whole-30 (which is pretty much the same as Paleo) for 30 days and we both felt amazing! I think you'll be really pleased with the results! :-) Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHi Amanda-thank you for all the support and sweetness. I was reading through your posts and we have the same Bday!! October 21st!! Happy late birthday. I LOVE coffee but I give it up every IVF (and IUI) too. Worth it. I like the last super idea. I have "kind of" PCOS (I don't ovulate on my own but bloodwork is normal) and I've never heard of the carb thing...I like it! I'll chop out those carbs next cycle. I'm excited your getting closer. It's a crazy ride but worth it in the end.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for y'all to be moving forward, but so sympathetic about the 12-year-old taste buds. I am the exact same way. And I am not kidding when I say I'll be praying for you as you embark upon this diet for the next few weeks. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited and hopeful for you. I could live on Papa John's pizza by the way.
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you to start this journey! I can't believe December is here already. I will be eagerly awaiting your updates. Oh, and that Georgia Peach French Toast looks Ah-MAzing! I also have the tastebuds of a 12-year-old :) Sometimes I even still eat Spaghettios (I know, I know--don't judge).
ReplyDeleteYay! I love that we will be cycling pretty close together. I'll be rooting for you friend. Im with Aubrey...what ARE you eating? Xoxo
ReplyDeleteThat food looks delicious. I can see why you'll miss it! Luckily, it's just temporary and you can dream about the day you get to eat those things again! Are you cutting those things out just until your BFP, or all through pregnancy? Either way, there's an end date :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck... I'm excited that your month is here!!!
Wow, Amanda! It's coming up soooo soon! Good for you, eating all these healthy foods! I have a feeling you won't gain any IVF weight at all with these eating habits. ;) I'm very hopeful for you! Blessings, xoxo!
ReplyDeleteWell I am so excited to see you approach this new territory! IVF! I am not fluent in it's ways but I know many who are now parents because of it, I am Gluten Free and have been for over 3 years, but basically carb free in a lot of ways, and I really have found that eating a paleo diet has real benefits too... my favorite cook book is this: Practical Paleo, she has a sugar detox book too, that is really great. Good luck my dear and I will be hopeful for you as you begin the road to IVF!!
ReplyDeleteHi Amanda! I just found your blog and am also starting IVF about the same time as you! I'lll be cheering you on! And wow, youre an inspiration with the no carb, sugar or caffein diet! That is dedication!! Thanks for sharing your journey!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting! Well, about starting the IVF journey - not for cutting out all those yummy things. When your child is giving you attitude about eating veggies, you should remind her/him how you suffered!
ReplyDeleteYay! I'm glad your cycle started. I'm rooting for a succesful IVF cycle. I believe this will be it for you girl. Goodluck on cutting out those carbs. Eating healthy is not the easiest but like everything once you get use to it it will be easier. Keeping you in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteGlad you got to enjoy some of your favorite foods. Hope you can enjoy some of your favorites (in small quantities) for the Holidays. I'm thinking nothing but positive thoughts for you and saying lots of prayers that your first IVF will be successful! xoxox
ReplyDeleteThis is some VERY exciting news! Good for you for cutting carbs & sugar. I need to do this too. But I am not brave enough yet.
ReplyDelete