The title of this post was supposed to be "Green Light" meaning we got the go ahead to proceed with IVF: no cysts, no wonky blood levels, no issues. Start your engines kind of talk. That was the title until our consultation this afternoon. Let me go ahead and end the suspense by saying we did eventually get the green light, but there was a total of about ten minutes there where I wasn't sure we would ever do IVF. Okay, so now that I've peaked your interest, lets rewind, shall we?
This morning I had my appointment for ultrasound and blood work... I was expecting it to be thirty minutes max. It was over three hours. Blood work was quick... only one vial. I'm not sure why, but I assumed IVF required like 80 vials a day or something terrible. Then we proceeded to the ultrasound room. Why nurses feel the need to tell you to strip half naked when the doctor is running behind I will never know. Hanging out on a table with a sheet covering you for half an hour is just not fun. However, the doctor came in and the party officially started. He was all excited, which helped me to get excited. "Woo hoo, here we go," kind of stuff. The ultrasound was fine. I'm not exactly sure what my antral follicle count is. He said 5 at one point while looking at the right, which just about made me come off the table. But then he said, "I don't count higher than 5" when I asked, and he then proceeded to show me that the left had more than 10.... not sure if the right had more than 5 too. I'm trying to be happy and satisfied with the fact that I have follicles... some women would kill for those.
There were no cysts, so that was all good. I assumed that was the end, but he then sent us to talk with a nurse. She went over all the paperwork (more signatures required than buying a house) and injections again. They decided they needed a HIV test and a semen analysis on Sam as his last tests were from December of 2012. We had to wait forever for the next person who went over the costs of everything. I don't care how low the cost starts, it's always more than you were planning... there are always little extras that "aren't included" like anesthesia. It was about $1100 more than we had previously been quoted after all was said and done, but whatever. We're moving on.
We finished up the morning (now afternoon) with a semen analysis and then finally got released. We managed to get Sam's prescription for antibiotics filled (FREE) and then grab a little lunch before heading back to the clinic for our consultation with Dr. Duffy regarding eggs, embryos, what to freeze and when. And that is where all hell broke loose.
When we got there, they took us straight back to his office and the nurse said she'd check to see if the analysis was ready from earlier. She came by and clipped something to our file a few minutes earlier. After about ten minutes Dr. Duffy showed up to review the analysis and begin our consultation. We could tell he was really unsettled. He asked Sam if he'd ever done an analysis before... ughhh, yeah, like five or six.... we've been to a urologist for goodness sake. He flipped through our records a few times before finally saying that he was just stumped. He asked Sam if anything traumatic had happened, did he have surgery, was he on testosterone, had he done anything to cause this: (at which point he showed the results) 14 sperm. Not 14 hundred million, not even 14 million, just 14 and they were ALL non-motile. Cue absolute freak out.
I some how internalized in 2.4 seconds that it would not be good if I lost it in front of Sam. I didn't want him to think I was blaming him, mad at him, any of that, so instead of sobbing or screaming I just started flipping through my notebook. I'm pretty sure I said "this is impossible" like ten times as I kept handing the doctor more and more old tests. He started talking about options: things like, test again in a week, go back on birth control, cancel the cycle... I'm pretty sure I was starting to unravel. I could tell Sam was really upset. He was perfectly still, but I touched his leg and it was about 100 degrees... he was about ten seconds away from bursting into flames. At which point Sam leaned forward and said "that's not my social". People, I. nearly. died.
For a full ten minutes I was in somebody else's shoes; I've never been so thankful to enter back into my own. It was an incredible reality check for both of us... as awful as it is to be here, to need IVF, at least IVF can help us. IVF can't do anything for 14 dead sperm. The doctor just about lost it himself but not from relief, from rage. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone lost their job over that little error. Needless to say he apologized a ton, reassured us that mistakes like this are incredibly unusual and that he and everyone who works at the clinic are held to a high level of responsibility. I was so relieved, I didn't even care. He went and picked up the correct analysis and returned with a much better report. We were able to salvage the rest of the consult, though it's probably needless to say that I was extremely frazzled and he was still really mad. I think we scrounged up enough info to move forward, but that's a post for another day.
For tonight, I'm simply insanely thankful to be where we are. Our hopes and dreams almost came to a screeching halt today. There's nothing like a little reality check to remind you that there are always worse scenarios than the one you're in. Instead of a cancelled cycle, we have a green light to move forward. We start meds tonight... 150iu of gonal-F and 75iu of Menopur. I can honestly say that I've never been more excited and I've never felt more blessed to be able to do these injections. We are so incredibly blessed to be here, financially able to afford this, with the chances we have due to the eggs and sperm we have... so, so blessed.
Oh my goodness, Amanda...what a story. And you're right - what a shift in perspective! Whoa. My heart goes out to the rightful owners of that report. )-:
ReplyDeleteI mean... that is horrible. I don't even know what I would have done, but I would have needed a large glass (fish bowl?) of alcohol afterwards. Thankful the mistake was realized before it was too late!!!
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Goodness. I have no words, that's crazy!!! So thankful that you were able to get back into your own shoes by the end of the appointment! Phew....
ReplyDeleteOh My GOSH!!!! I just can't even fathom!!! I mean, it's terrible that you had to go through that stress, but I can see how it put things into perspective for you. What an emotional roller coaster!!!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited to cheer you on during this cycle :)
Oh wow, that is crazy!!! NOT a cool mistake...glad Sam caught it!! (And it reminds me of two of our IUIs...one time there was ONE live sperm, one time there were FIVE. I thought that wasn't even possible...but some of us are just extra lucky like that!!! But at least we weren't trying to start an IVF cycle with that!!! Yikes.) I'm SO glad yall got better news and are ready to move forward!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! You're so right about the perspective. I'm so glad you got the green light!
ReplyDeleteWow, sounds like a big mistake! I'm so glad everything went well and that you were given the go-ahead to start your meds. Praying hard for you!
ReplyDeleteWow. That poor other couple. But I'm so glad that's not your hubby situation. We are cycling sooooo close!!!!! I started stims today too. But boy…am I taking a lot more drugs. More of a reminder to be thankful…in this case thankful you're not me. LOL. I take two vials of menopur (150IU) and 450IU of follistim (same as gonal-f). I'm so hoping this cycle goes smoothly for you. Do you have your stim check on Mon?
ReplyDeleteRuh oh. Whoever made that snafoo is in deep doo doo now! Maybe that mistake was perfectly placed there to remind you that you have everything to be hopeful about this cycle. I agree...so much in your favor! So excited for you guys. Hope the shots went well last night!
ReplyDeleteOh, Amanda! My husband was sitting next to me while I read this and I'm giving him a play by play as I read and we were both freaking out with you. Thank goodness Sam is level headed enough to check the social security number.
ReplyDeleteBut YAY for the green light!!! I'm so excited for you!!
Oh lord. That is inexcusable. I am glad that doctor was mad. He should be. Unfortunatly, in the world of IF there is always someone whose road has more challengess that ours. In a weird way it's good that you got this chance to appreciate your road.
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOODNESS!!! Wow! Well I'm SOOOO glad everything turned out alright and you were cleared to love forward! I'm actually happy to hear your doctor's reaction was what it was... I bet he will do everything to make sure the rest of your cycle goes smoothly from an administrative standpoint. Phew!!
ReplyDeleteOn another note... I can't believe you started!!! Yayyyy! I am praying for you and will be thinking of you every day! xoxo
**move... Move forward!
DeleteGlad you are moving forward girl! Looking for your updates!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a scare!! I'm glad everything turned out good. Praying that everything goes smoothly from now on.
ReplyDeleteWow that's crazy. My heart jumped a beat when I was reading 14 sperm. Glad you got the green light!
ReplyDeletePhew. I'm so glad it turned out ok, and so sorry for the other couple facing those dreadful news. And you're right about the reality check. A few weeks after our loss I read about a woman who lost her baby at 20 weeks, like me - and her husband has a brain tumor. An immediate reminder of how lucky I still am.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck for this cycle!
OH Lord!! I would have died! I think they should just give you a free cycle for freaking you out so bad. I will be praying for an awesome outcome! Keep you head up because there will be ups and downs. :)
ReplyDeleteMy heart is still racing from reading your blog! I had to speed read it to get to the resolution and then read back through it for content I was so stressed for you! Oh my dear! Way to keep your cool in the midst of insanity. I hope they take extra special care of you and Sam in your cycle to make up for that monumental flub up!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that was not your report. But those poor poor people. I just had a co-worker get a cancer report like that. She was told her tumor was not removed with clear edges and she would need a complete hysterectomy and radiation. Only to find our that her tumor was actually removed with clear edges and was now cancer free. Worse part is that awful person who was given the cancer free diagnosis the day before and now is getting the bad news. I'm sorry you guys went through that and so thankful you were on the winning end.
ReplyDeleteOh. My. Gosh.
ReplyDeleteWow, that is a crazy story! Talk about a roller coaster of emotions! Glad you're able to proceed, good luck!
ReplyDelete