Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Going Dark

I've been debating for days now what to do about the blog and the possibility of a BFP after our upcoming IVF. Many of my blog friends may not know this, but I often post my blog directly to my Facebook page, not a blog Facebook page, my actual, personal Facebook page. Which means that my blog friends read this, people I see at work read this, friends from my church read this, my extended family read this, and people I haven't seen since high school or college read this blog. That's a lot of people to find out about a positive pregnancy test on day one!

There are obviously a couple of options: I could blog about IVF up to and through the transfer but then mysteriously disappear for 10 weeks. The obvious problem there is if it's negative, I'll want/need to keep blogging, so I'd be back immediately. Which would lead to one conclusion: she disappeared therefore she's pregnant… no big secret there.

I could also attempt to make the blog private which would only allow certain people to view posts after IVF. But again, I don't actually want to make the blog private, so I would leave it public if the test was negative, and if someone showed up to see the blog had gone private… hmmmm, question answered.

The other option is of course to simply not post links to the blog on Facebook, but I feel like there are enough inquiring minds out there… they could easily track down an old link to check in if they wanted to. Heck, it's amazing to me that people can spell my name, but the most common search in google that links to the blog is Genuine Greavu… people who want the news will be able to find it.

Lastly, there is of course the option to simply embrace the situation. Anybody and everybody who cares can know the outcome as soon as I post it. This option kind of gives me the willies though.

Even if infertility had never reared its ugly head in my life, I would have been a cautious announcer. I would obviously have told Sam everything, but past that, the plan was always a slow process of telling people. I would have told my mom in some cute way... wrap up a HPT or something. In fact when I got the first digital pregnancy test, I saved it to send to her in the mail (is that gross? oh well, it never happened). After that, I'd have let Sam tell his mom and dad and stepparents when and how he wanted. And after super close family, the plan in my mind had always been 12 weeks... and that was before infertility.

But the truth is, I'll never survive 12 weeks. Too many people know what's going on. There will be too many questions... and why would I not answer if it's negative? It's a secret that IVF failed for 12 weeks?!?!?! Good grief, if IVF fails, I'm hopeful that we will be back for a FET before 12 weeks! I just can't see a way around it... everyone is going to know.

Everyone will know if a home pregnancy test is positive. Everyone will know if our first beta comes out super high. Everyone will know if our second beta doesn't double and I'm crippled with fear. Everyone will know if we miscarry. Everyone will know no matter what the next weeks or months may bring. And that is kind of scary.

However, I went public for a reason with my blog and my story beyond the blog community. I wanted to raise awareness about infertility, I wanted other women who may feel incredibly alone to know that they are absolutely not alone, and I wanted to put a face on infertility. I had incredibly misconceived ideas about infertility before it walked into my life, so I can only assume most people share those same misconceptions. I wanted a place where I could be open and honest about my faith and how infertility has and is affecting it. And ultimately, I wanted to give the Lord a platform... whether He decides to heal us, work through modern medicine, or never bless us with a child of my own, I wanted to offer up our story. Our story is all for His glory!

So for now, we're staying open... the blog will be up and running and you can expect updates like normal. I think of the woman who went through an IVF retrieval on the TODAY show. She said she did it to encourage other women in similar situations to overcome their fears. Well for me, I hope the friends and family who don't battle infertility can catch a tiny glimpse into what this is like. The odds are that they know other friends who are or will go through treatment, so maybe reading and hearing about the nerves associated with the first beta, or fear that comes from injecting yourself... well, maybe that will help when they interact with their other friends. No matter what happens going forward I hope that this space can stay true to itself... honest, open, raw... genuine.

In other news, today is what I imagine Katniss meant when she described "hollow days" in The Hunger Games. Absolutely nothing I eat satisfies my hunger. I'm assuming this is because I'm not hungry for yogurt or apples or lettuce. I'm currently craving a Chick-fil-A chicken biscuit (pardon me while I drool on my desk) on a nice big bowl of jasmine rice. Heaven help me, it's going to be a long day!

14 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you! This really shows a lot of strength on your part and I am proud of you for sharing. I look forward to keeping up with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was also an issue I struggled with and not that many people in real life read my blog! I think it's so great that you decided to stay open. I can't wait to cheer you on! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that infertility has also taken this privacy away from us. I mean, we DO choose to blog, and I'm so glad there's this community. But, you're right, it's obvious what the outcome is either way. It just makes us too vulnerable I feel. I hope you can offer great news followed by even better news and so on!!! I feel so bad for you that you're eating clean during the holidays! THAT is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you'll stay open during the journey.... I'll be reading and praying along with you, my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my gosh you scared me with this title. I was quickly reading to see what you decided because yes I would be that person who will just straight up stalk you to see how you're doing/how it is going. It is tough I am sure I have no idea all the emotions, but I love that you're letting us be there for you - whichever way we can :) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand this conundrum. I've thought it through many times myself. I think you're making a good choice..but I know some of the girls doing IVF- even if they're super openly blogging the details of the procedure- they stay vague about when exactly the first beta is. I mean, even though we can all pretty much calculate that it's probably between Monday and Wednesday or whatever, maybe don't say for sure on the blog...and then you at least have a little window of time to share news in person with people you want to before people just find out from FB. One of my FB friends (doesn't blog) did IVF and was SUPER FB ACTIVE during the retrieval, transfer, post-transfer, pre-beta period...like "20 minutes til my beta!!!" "5 minutes til my beta!!!" "can't wait to hear the results of my beta!!!"...and then it was RADIO SILENCE for like 9 weeks. And it was like...DUHHHHHHH do you think we're all idiots or something??! So I do not advocate that method. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it would be really hard to be so open about everything throughout IVF but then choose not to reveal the results. It's nice to keep it to yourself for a few days to tell your mom or sister or whatever, so they don't have to learn via a blog. I totally respect anyone's decision to withhold the result if they just don't want to jinx it or are super scared or just want to enjoy privacy of good news with their spouse for ONCE in their life. However, I kind of agree with Erika...not a big fan of the disappearing act method. It's a personal choice, and I'm sure you'll make the right one when the time is right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you have decided to keep things updated for now. I would of course respect anyones decision to keep it to themselves but no matter what we are here to support you and pray for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you're hungry, you TOTALLY need to eat more meat and nuts! Protein, protein, protein. :-) Good luck! And I think it's a great idea to be more open. At least that way people won't ask you how it's going, you can just direct them to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're staying open, but would totally respect and understand if you ever change your mind. I still haven't decided how open I'm going to be when I start IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I applaude & admire you! I've been considering going 100% public with my blog & real life. I'm still not ready to open myself like that but I do think it's soon. You, my friend, are very brave, a fighter. You will be a wonderful Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are going to continue to update us!! I would have been so sad to be in the dark for so long!!! It is such a different place to be in! So many bloggers of course announce the day they get their beta, where as if it were any other way, people would never be 'waiting' or 'expect' a post any specific day! Glad you are keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so brave for taking your story out into the world, and pretty much in real time. I always thought I would, but then when I was in the middle of IVF somehow I couldn't... I'm so proud you are actually doing this, and I so very much hope you will get a positive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad you're going to keep blogging through the whole journey! You are very genuine :) Plus, you would get like 3,742 emails a day asking you what's going on so you'd best keep us updated! Reading and praying along with you.

    ReplyDelete