Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Anomaly XB-6783746

So apparently, I'm an anomaly. No really, I'm quite unique. Kind of like him:

Michael, aka Anomaly XB-6783746
Yea, I know I'm the only person who watched season 5 of Fringe

My doctor called on Tuesday. This is the first time that an RE has actually called me, so of course, I thought I was dying. Thankfully, he's just a nice guy. One of the nurses was out of the office and he offered to call patients to give test results. At my last appointment we ran a couple more tests, and guess what? More GRAY!!!! He actually laughed and said that I'm interesting. People, that's what I call winning!!! 

So what else is gray about the Greavu's besides the aforementioned?

Let's return to the AMH debacle. You might remember that I tested WILDLY different the previous two times. 5.7 in May of 2012, and 2.54 in November. Huh??? He was hoping that it would come back close to one of those two, ruling out the other as a fluke or an error. I was simply terrified that it might have taken another nose dive. Well, don't you know, it's 4.3. He was quite frustrated as that is practically equal distance from the previous two scores… smack dab in the middle. It is however on the higher side of the AMH scale. He, of course, said that this is one more grain of sand thrown on the PCOS pile. He said that PCOS can get worse with age, so it might not have been an issue a few years ago, but that's its developing into something now. Maybe, nothing conclusive. Again. Lovely. And, despite my incessant claims that I do not have the symptoms, I'm kind of thinking it's possible. Last month my chart was a disaster and I didn't ovulate at all. This month, FertilityFriend seems to have found a possible O date, but I'm not so sure. If I did, I'm guessing my progesterone level is a 4 or something awful like that.

January 2013 BBT chart
My doctor also tested my CA-125. Don't google it, it'll scare you to death like it did me. You googled it anyway, didn't you? I tried to warn you. He wanted to see if my number gave any insight into endometriosis. He said that 34 is generally the cutoff for "no endo". My result was 39.6. Technically higher, but still significantly lower than the norm for endometriosis, which is 60-80. It seems to me like a lot of people would fall between 34 and 60… what do they do with those people? Scope them. Yep, you heard me. One week after the conversation about laparoscopy being a waste of time, we are back to debating it's usefulness. He said it is totally reasonable to believe that we could do the surgery and find NOTHING. But, he described himself looking over my chart searching for clues, and when you're "interesting" (aka difficult) little things add up. So not getting pregnant in two years, plus painful cycles, plus my CA-125 leads to a possible reason to perform the surgery.

It just never ends. The one and only good thing out of all of this is that my doctor finds me "intriguing". Now, that sounds awful. I'd love to be textbook. But since I'm not and Sam's not, well then, at least we are interesting enough to pay attention to us. We have become a problem that he has to solve, and I'm okay with that. I feel like we are a team. He's working on it, the information I give him is valuable, he's engaged, he's dedicated. He wants to solve the problem, find the answer… he wants us to succeed. 

4 comments:

  1. Looove Dr. S!! That's so great that he called you. Too bad it was to let you know that you might be a freak of nature?? :) Just kidding. Personally, I think FF is pretty optimistic with thinking you ovulated there...Ugh. Sorry, no encouraging words today. This sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you have a doctor that you trust and who cares enough to be the one to call you! I think many times, that's half the battle. Hoping this doctor can help you to decide what the best next step will be for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent reframe by Sam. So true. Maybe this mystery will keep your doctor thinking about you and talking to colleagues and researching until they've found an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel. I hate being a medical freak show, but it is also super useful because my doc will just call me and chat on the phone and if I have 45 minutes of quetsions, she will keep talking with me. I do NOT understand how you can have such different AMH readings?!!??! Isnt that the point of AMH? That it is constant over our cycles? so frsutrating! has your FSH always been fine? Do you have painful periods? painful sex? if so, maybe doing the lap is a good step. I wish you the best of luc k in figuring this out and i am so sorry you have such a frustrating situation!

    ReplyDelete