So maybe I'm a teeny, tiny bit cynical about Valentine's day. Maybe.
We don't really celebrate Valentine's day around the Greavu household. It's predominantly my fault. Super, duper early on in our relationship I explained my strange relationship with this holiday. I told Sam that under no circumstances was he to EVER to propose on Valentine's day, as it would be the most UN-romantinc thing I could imagine.
Plus, we have bad luck on Valentine's day when we try. Our first V-day together, Sam was going out of town to play basketball (I don't remember which city, but lets just say it was GA vs Ole Miss). We were SUPER early in our dating relationship so he was still trying really hard. After class that morning, he had minutes with which to work before catching the bus to Atlanta for their flight. He went to buy me a plethora of cupid and heart themed items and was rushing back to break into my apartment, when he was caught speeding. It was something awful like 54 in a 25. I felt HORRIBLE. He of course used it to show just how much he loved me. I just thought it was a super expensive day for a balloon, a bear, and some candy by the time you added in the cost of the ticket. Sad.
My issue with V-day is basically this: I want my love to buy me flowers and chocolates, write me sweet notes and send me love letters, and shower me with gifts because he WANTS to, not because a day shows up on the calendar and he feels guilty if he doesn't. I'd rather be the ONLY girl at work to receive a bouquet of flowers on a random Tuesday in July, than one of many girls who receives a bouquet on February 14th.
So ultimately, this means that we don't do much on Valentine's day. Which, I'm honestly okay with. The only thing that we've done the last few years, well I guess longer than a few now, this is our 8th V-day after all, is buy some steaks to cook at home. It's nice. We don't splurge on good steaks very often. We also cheat the system and order a Bloomin' Onion from Outback to go. I know a healthy vegetable (errr, root?) turned into a heart attack… but gosh, golly they are so yummy.
I'm kind of bummed to say that this year we will be breaking tradition. Staying with my mom (yes, we're still here) kind of changes things, but it's so not a big deal. I'd much rather stay in and eat chicken than go out and wait for 2 hours for a tiny table in the middle of a PACKED restaurant just because we feel like we don't love each other enough if we don't mark this day.
However, if you looooovvvvvveeeeee Valentine's day and this day means the world to you, I hope you get everything that communicates love to you. I hope your special person showers you with love and affection. I hope that every day, but particularly today, that you feel loved.
Totally agree on your valentines day comments. It is much more important to be treated with love every other day of the year than just today, when Hallmark says so!
ReplyDeleteWe ate take out pizza and are watching TV and blogging :-) May not be super romantic, but its still love!
ReplyDeleteNow I want a Bloomin' Onion. Seriously.
ReplyDeleteYep, I hear ya. We're not big on Valentine's Day either. I like the idea of steaks and a Bloomin Onion though!
ReplyDelete