Monday, February 18, 2013

Adrift at Sea

I'm adrift at sea... Four years ago when I was in college, I had such big dreams. I don't mean President of the United States big, not even med school big, but they were big enough for me. I was working at an awesome job as I was completing my final semesters and I started to see what my life could look like. I started to understand the ways in which I could leverage my education, skills, and experience for the Lord. Soon after graduation, my dreams started to come true and I felt like I was shooting straight to the top. I felt like God had a distinct plan for my life and that I was needed.

Shortly after graduation, my dreams started to disintegrate. I felt so confused, "didn't you need me, God?" However. I told myself that I had big things ahead and important life changes to concentrate on. It was time to get married and focus on Sam. It was Sam's time to pursue his dreams.

Initially, I told myself that my dreams for my career were just on hold. I believed it would all work out soon. And honestly, I told myself that even if those doors closed for me forever, even if I never got another chance to do what I love to do, and do it for the kingdom, I would be okay. I felt like my greatest calling was to be a mom. That superseded everything else. I thought that very quickly I would be a mom and find huge fulfillment in that.

But now I'm neither. I'm not a mom, and I probably won't be any time in the near future. But I also don't have a career that I can call meaningful. I feel as if all of dreams are dissolving before my eyes. My life looks NOTHING like I planned. Nothing like I thought it would. At every turn along this road, I thought it was just a small detour. I thought in 6 months or a year, maybe two or three years the path I was on would meet back up with the path I was destined to be on.

Instead, I think my path looks more like a series of forks. I initially went left when my life should have gone right, and it's been left after left ever since. I don't know if I should try to cut a path back to the original plan or just blaze a new trail.

My biggest frustration in all of this is that I completely lack a sense of purpose. I know that sometimes in life, the purpose is simply to pay the bills. Sometimes in life, it's about getting from point A to point B. Sometimes, it's apparently about saving up for IVF. But is it not possible to do all of those things and have a sense of purpose? A feeling of fulfillment?

Years ago, I really thought that I was going to be doing what I love through ministry opportunities. I thought God specifically wanted me. Now, I feel like I've been cut loose. I have no rudder, no sail, and I can't find a current. I'm just floating out here hoping for some direction.

I know that God does have a plan, both for His ultimate glory and for my life. But right now, I have no idea what my direction is supposed to be. I need for there to be a purpose for my days. He has a plan, but I don't have the map. Where do I go next?

6 comments:

  1. I sometimes feel so similar. While I like my job alright...it's just that...a job. I truthfully hold onto it for the maternity leave benefit, which, we know how that's going and for the medical benefits (I thank God for those daily). I feel like my biggest calling is to be a Mom, but with that seemingly so far out of reach, it's hard to know what my purpose is in this life... Anyway, all that to say that I know how you feel. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I've thought this same thing SO many times in the last few years. SAME. I actually need to go see if you just copy-pasted this from my diary, haha. (Not to be confused with my blog...I know I've never written this there) (OK, I don't actually have a diary. But if I did, this would be in it) I totally relate to you and pray that God will reveal his purpose for this season, to make everything feel less pointless and sad. Ugh. Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheesy though the cliche may be, I think it's true that when God closes a door, He opens a window... and though it's frustrating to be standing in front of the closed door(s) right now and not knowing where the window is, I firmly believe life will begin to make a little more sense for you at some point. Until then, just keep hanging in there as best you can...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so with you on this. It's hard to be still as you wait for God's plan to become clear. Praying for you to have peace in the waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post that probably speaks to a lot of women out there - dream job or not, kids or not. I think a lot of us are living different lives than the ones we dreamed about and planned for. And I think a lot of us are different people than we thought we'd be. I know you feel like you aren't living your purpose as far as ministry, but I have to tell you that you have ministered to my heart more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so frustrating! I feel like I am right there with you, drifting. I know God is the anchor to our ship, but it sure feels like He has us stuck, anchored in this awful place for no reason. Even if He has a good reason, it doesn't make it any easier!

    ReplyDelete