So here goes. I have officially joined the club for the fertility challenged, or infertile. Sam and I have been trying to conceive since May 2011. We've suffered the loss of a miscarriage and are now dealing with the diagnosis of anovulation. It has been a heart stopping, tear ridden journey from the beginning. At first, my plan was to blog about my circumstances, and then release the blogs once I was finally pregnant. I thought it wouldn't be so embarrassing once I had finally conquered the problem and was successful at conceiving a healthy baby. However, after the news we received from my doctor today, it doesn't sound like that pregnancy will be anytime soon. Honestly, I'm so torn over releasing this information to the world. It seems so very personal, and so very secretive in our culture. I'm not looking for sympathy, but I would love for someone, somewhere to hear my story, feel my pain, and become a confidant in this long journey towards motherhood. Friends and family are great, but honestly I really want someone who knows and understands what I'm feeling, who can commiserate about the pain of baby showers, who will understand the pain of losing your first conceived child, who will listen to my grumblings and complaints without feeling the need for platitudes. Plus, I think the very best therapy through this process would be if I could be there for someone else. If I can tell someone, "you aren't alone, I'm here, and I know what you are going through," I think I might find some purpose in the process.
In the next few weeks I will try to get the blog updated with all of the posts I haven't published and get the whole story out there so it is up to date. From there, I promise to do my very best not to turn this blog into a journal of woes. I'll do my best to keep you updated on the fun and happiness that is in store for the Greavu's. Because despite this daunting path set before us to walk, the Lord is still so good, and has blessed us richly. There are some fun and exciting things ahead for the Greavu family: We are less than 2 weeks away from our second anniversary, and (drum roll please) only four months until we can say "sayonara Augusta!" So hang in there with me, and if you are someone, or if you know someone who has been there, done that, or who is currently in the grips of infertility, feel free to send me a shout out or contact me privately. Like I said, I would LOVE a companion in all of this (though I'm sad for you too).
amanda.greavu@gmail.com
Amanda, I have two friends who are/were in your situation. The first suffered a miscarriage after countless months of trying to conceive. However, in a few months she will celebrate the first birthday of her beautiful daughter. The second friend recently turned 40. She and her husband have been trying for many years. She's tried it all- diet change, monthly lab work, exercise, fertility medication.. even acupuncture. Currently, she's attempting in vitro.
ReplyDeleteYou are not alone. I commend you for sharing your story. I'm sure the number of women who will respond will pleasantly surprise you. You're doing a good thing. Hang in there! God Bless!
Amanda ,your posting took lots of courage. I have been through all that you describe, excepting the miscarriage. At the time, you think you are the only woman in the world going through it, and it's especially difficult (and makes you angry at the innocent) when people make comments like "When are you and Sam going to start a family?" People ask questions sometimes when they have no idea how hurtful they can be (or how the answer is really NONE of their business in the first place!) Your posting offers opportunity for others to voice their own fears, doubts, anger, frustrations, questions, jealousy, envy,regrets, and every other emotion related to infertility (as temporary as it may be!) Bless you.
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I know how difficult your decision to share your journey with others is for you. You are a private person and always try and put on a "happy face" so that you don't bring others down. Although I can't relate (other than having a miscarriage myself)I do know how devastating this has been for you. You were always the one who knew, from the time you were just a tween, that you wanted to be a mother. In fact, you have jokingly said wouldn't mind providing children for your very own Greavu basketball team!
ReplyDeleteI hope your blog is therapeutic and helpful for others going through the same thing. Love you!
Praying for you sweet friend. Let God take your burden.
ReplyDelete