Monday, January 7, 2013

The Results are In

You may remember from a month ago or so, when I said we were marching into unknown territory… man land. Well, we had our follow-up consultation with the Urologist and found out some rather interesting news. Sam has two varicoceles, both of which have probably been there since puberty. While this is not an uncommon thing for men, it can potentially cause infertility. All of Sam's tests came back to reveal, that while his numbers are high, the sperm aren't as healthy as they could be. Basically the doctor said that there survivability is diminished due to the varicoceles. This explains why we started off each IUI with such high numbers but only a small fraction survived the wash.

Good to know I guess, the question now is, what do we do about it? There is an outpatient surgery that can correct the problem. After a period of time, the issue with Sam's sperm should resolve. If there was nothing wrong with me, then after said period of time, if the surgery worked, we would have roughly a 23% chance of conceiving naturally each month. Here's the kicker… we have no idea if something is also wrong with me. If there is, then we are probably right back where we were before this interesting news… IVF. I'm thinking that there probably is something wrong with me, particularly as it's CD 31 and I still haven't ovulated. So our options stand like this:


  1. Have the surgery. Wait, and pray, and hope that it works, and that the new sperm, with higher survivability, can get the job done.
  2. IVF. We can skip the surgery and move straight onto IVF as we had planned. 

We haven't made a decision what to do yet, and obviously, Sam is the ultimate decision maker on this one, but I thought I'd at least put my thoughts, as they currently stand, out there. We haven't done a lot of research on this, and I of course, had about a bazillion questions as soon as we left. I wasn't expecting the tests to have found anything… I went in unprepared. So these are simply my thoughts as of now.

With the surgery, there are a couple of BIG plusses. Mostly in the financial category. We have absolutely no infertility coverage. None. Zero. Zip. I had minimal coverage for testing at first, but they were very quick to slap an "unexplained" diagnosis on me, which ended the coverage. (I personally think unexplained means just what is sounds like, not a diagnosis, therefore coverage should continue, but well, I think a lot of things and it's not going to change anything.) But the doctor thinks the test will "most likely" be covered under insurance. Plus, clearly, if it works, and we managed to get pregnant on our own, then there would be a HUGE savings in not needing IVF. Additional positives with the surgery are that we can possibly conceive naturally. Obviously, everyone intends to conceive between the bed sheets not the paper ones. It had been a while since I honestly thought that was an option for us. And lastly, it is a "one and done" procedure. It doesn't have to performed again with each new attempt at a child.

IVF still has some positives too, though. That there is no wait would be the biggest. The doctor said that it could be six months to a year after the surgery before the sperm are olympic swimmers again (he didn't actually say it like that). IVF also gives MUCH higher rates of conception per cycle.

The simple, ready available answer to me seems to be this: Contact insurance and see if the surgery is covered. Then find out what the surgery costs because we would be responsible for 20%, which could still be a nice chunk of change. If it is currently feasible, perform the surgery. We don't have the money to move on to IVF immediately, so in the mean time, the husband's swimmers can be getting in race day performance. I'm guessing that we could be ready for IVF in about 9 months, so that would give us possibly 3 months of trying with timed intercourse. If it doesn't work, then IVF is still an option.

Here's the problem with my plan. Sam just started his FINAL clinical!!! Today. Now this is CRAZY exciting because it means that he is almost done with PT school, but it also means that getting time off may be difficult or next to impossible. If we had found out in December, he could have had the surgery during his month off, but we found out Friday. The clinical is 12 weeks. If he can't get any time off, The first time the surgery could be performed would be the first week of April. That's three months in which the sperm could have been growing with new, cleaner, brighter, spiffier living conditions. I feel like if we have to wait to perform the surgery, it will delay IVF, and I'm not sure that I'm okay with that. As I've said before, patience is not my virtue.

So there it is. As I've said, we need to do some more research and ask more questions of the doctor. We didn't even get into risks or any of that. But for now, those are my thoughts. Things might be a little clearer after my follow-up consultation with me RE. If there are new findings with me that lead us to believe healthier sperm still won't get it done, then the answer becomes clearer.

What would you do?




9 comments:

  1. Well it sounds like Matt & Sam have some similar issues and options. Obviously you know we did the surgery...one of the main things that stuck with me from the consult w/ Dr. W is that (and this could TOTALLY not be the case with Sam...I have no idea, this was just what he said about Matt) his sperm were so abnormal that even if they were able to fertilize an egg (either naturally or through IVF w/ICSI), there would be a huge chance that the embryo wouldn't be genetically viable and that I would miscarry. He said that's why he really really wanted us to have the surgery. So that was HUGE to me, obviously. No point in going through with IVF w/ ICSI if the sperm, once there, are carrying damaged DNA that can't even make a viable embryo. No way. So that sealed the deal for us. Personally, I would go ahead with surgery. Our insurance did cover it so we only had to pay a couple thousand OOP. Matt had it on Friday and went back to work on Tuesday-- although he has definitely still been in "take it easy" mode work-out wise, movement wise, even up to now. I know Sam's clinicals are probably much more physically demanding than Matt's desk job is, so I don't know how that would go...but the long-term benefits of the surgery and the likelihood that it'll even give you better chances with IVF might make it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez, as if all of this isn't difficult enough already... then being faced with these kinds of decisions... Someimtes I just wish someone could/would tell me what to do next! Anyway, I tend to agree with Erika, if IVF is what you think you want to do (well, none of us WANT to do IVF, but you know what I mean!), and if the surgery could potentially give you even the slightest bit more of a chance for success with IVF, then as Erika said, it might be worth it. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were in a similar situation. My DH had a varicocele. Our RE actually recommended against the surgery. It's a long recovery and the research is really mixed on it actually correcting anything. We weren't in a place where we wanted to risk spending all the time waiting for DH to recover and then end up in the same situation. If you've got time-- then there is no hurt in having the surgery. I'm glad we didn't wait because DH was already 33 when we started IVF and we were so ready to get started. Sending you many thoughts as you decide what to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of Erika when I read this post, since it sounded sort of similar to her and Matt's situation. Wish I had great input... hope you guys figure out what's best for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While we don't have the same situation, we chose to try a longer term treatment in hopes of getting pregnant without IVF.
    My sprained pelvis is getting the blame for our previously unexplained infertility and the chiropractors gave us a 3-4 month time frame for treatment until we could start trying again. It's covered by our insurance (IVF isn't) and the thought of making a baby on our own was too tempting to pass up. Only a couple months to go... ;)

    You guys will chose whatever is best though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your next steps with the insurance company are good ones. I always find things to be more overwhelming when I don't have the information I need. I hope the ins conversation, as well as a follow up conversation with his clinical coordinator, will help clarify next steps and promote peace.

    I'm sorry there was anything to report. That sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. I don't know how old you are, but I know I'm youngish (almost 31) & still feel a sense of urgency. That said, though, I'd say fight for getting the surgery done ASAP & give that the amount of time that feels right to you. I've been realizing that, for me, I need to know I've given everything a fair shot, so you may want to have the peace of knowing you gave it a whirl. I feel for you! All of these decisions are SO complicated and multi-faceted! In the end, do you what your gut tells you and what you and your hubby feel good with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got some answers. So a few thoughts.. can't you get some tests done to see how everything is on "your end"? Also, this seems like a common problem in guys, I'm glad they were able to diagnose it, and if there is a chance it would fix the problem, I say go for it. I mean, ultimately, do what you have a peace about and I will def be praying God gives you that peace, sooner or later, to both you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and I totally process things in the same way i.e. we are both in such a hurry to make a decision and then put it into action! I will give you the advice I foten gave myself in this process: stop. breathe. process. and then you can plan. I was doing a lot of planning before breathing! You will find out more and figure out what is teh best choice for you!

    ReplyDelete