Sunday, September 30, 2012

What I Learned from the Volunteers

WOW! What a freaking game! The Dawgs almost gave me a heart attack more than once. But we eeked out the victory, so I am thankful for some perseverance to "Finish the Drill".

It was a WILD game for everyone, but particularly interesting for Sam and I as we were on the fringes of the Tennessee visitor's section. I think we were actually technically in the visitor's section, but there were plenty of Georgia fans behind us and around us. That is the closest I have ever sat to the opposing team's  fans. If you win, it's pretty cool, I guess, but if you're down, you feel like you're drowning in a sea of orange. And I HATE orange.

But, I did gleam some valuable information from the Volunteers.



  • The Tennessee Offensive Line is SICK! I don't know if it's size, strength, determination, or what but these guys were amazing. I think Bray had about 10 seconds (felt like a minute) to throw every stinking time. 


  • This is NOT their mascot:

And neither is this:

                                                   

This is the Volunteer:

                                   

Confused? Me too. According to the Tennessee sports website, they have two mascots (reminiscent of Auburn anyone?). They have the Volunteer and Smokey. Further research shows that this Daniel Boone type character is the true "Vol" while the pooch is his faithful hunting sidekick, but he's cuter so it's obvious why they use him more!

Further confusion comes upon finding out that the Volunteer is so named because he signs up for war frequently. So, shouldn't he be a man in uniform? What's up with the suede jumper and the raccoon hat?


  • Every shade of Orange is permissible. I mean it. Peach, tangerine, coral, burnt orange, salmon, neon orange… You name it, they wear it. I guess it's nice to have some freedom in your wardrobe, especially if you're color is orange (gross), but I'm a big fan of continuity.
  • I'm so thankful that these currently do not exist in Red & Black.

  • The Tennessee band needs to learn a new song. "Rocky Top" is their go to song for EVERYTHING! I'm all for tradition, and it is a catchy tune that's easy to sing along with, but seriously, your band is more talented than that!
  • And lastly, don't ever, EVER, doubt the Tennessee game at Sanford Stadium. Even when one team is down, having a rough year, or totally rocking, it's not a game to miss. So show up EVERY TIME GEORGIA! Geez!











1 comment: