Friday, April 3, 2015

When I Said I Do

Five years. That's what we're celebrating today! Five years of marriage. 



This anniversary admittedly kind of snuck up on me. I haven't really spent the past few days leading up to this anniversary reminiscing or looking back through old wedding photos. I think I've got a pretty good excuse though, right?

Last night as a held Little Butt I read back through my old posts on past anniversaries. There is definitely a theme in the last few... for better or for worse. When I said I do, I had no idea what "for worse" really meant. How could I? I was 24 years old… I felt old, but gosh, I was just a baby. We had no clue that our vows would be tested by fire so soon. No one saw infertility coming. No one could have predicated the bomb that would soon drop right in the midst of our marriage. We were barely 16 months in when our first tragedy struck. Since that moment, I think we've seen our fair share of the for worse part those vows talk about. 

On one anniversary, I wrote the following, "but the really cool part about marriage: you've got somebody to walk through the 'for worse' with. And when the 'for better' comes, that person understands better than anyone else how much you have to celebrate!" I stand by that today. The last year was filled with much of the same. While it wasn't necessarily our darkest days because we didn't lose any pregnancies or embryos, there will still some really hard, dark days. A lot of fear. A lot of doubt. A lot of worry. We've recently turned a pretty big corner, obviously. We've crossed over and we are certainly in our "for better" days right now. It is fantastic to walk through these days with my husband, not only because I love him, but because he has intimately known and faced the "for worse" days with me. He knows just how much better these good days actually are. For better is a whole not sweeter when you're seen for worse.

Although I feel like we're basking in the the sun's warm glows these days, I know that there will be dark days ahead. I'm not naive enough to think we've experienced the last of our for worse. There will be more hard days. We will get sick, we will experience financial stress, we will lose a loved one. It's inevitable… a part of any marriage. Even just in terms of family building, we will shed more tears. Of that, I am sure. If there's one thing the last few years has taught me, it's that we will survive. We've been through a lot and we're still here. For better or for worse… we've lived it all. 


Five years isn't really that long, but I think it's long enough to be proud of. I'm proud that five years later, I would still chose him. Despite all of it, everything we've been through, I'd still chose him, and I hope he'd say the same because life is simply better when we're together. I can honestly say, "I have found the one whom my soul loves" and I am looking forward to the next five years (and more) with him… for better or for worse.

Babe, when I said "I do" I had no idea what our future held, but I'd say it again today with just as much assurance as I did back then. It is my joy and privilege to walk through life with you. Happy Anniversary!

13 comments:

  1. Love this. Happy anniversary, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post for a beautiful milestone. Happy 5th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 years is a great accomplishment! Especially since you two have been thru so much! Happy anniversary! I bet it is a super special one with little man there now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was beautiful! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary to both of you AND you new little family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this entire post! Happy anniversary! You two have been through so much, but you are stronger because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pic! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary!! I have said it before but I just adore your wedding photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! This must have been quite an anniversary :)
    I totally agree with your observation - H appreciates SB so much more because of what we've been through together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful! I heard somewhere that tragedy either tears families apart, or it brings them closer together. And so I hope that no matter what comes your way, weather good or bad, that it'll bring you closer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful! I heard somewhere that tragedy either tears families apart, or it brings them closer together. And so I hope that no matter what comes your way, weather good or bad, that it'll bring you closer.

    ReplyDelete