Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Sitting Pretty in the Midst of Adoption

It's been a while since I've updated about the adoption, so I figured now is as good of time as any! I wish I had tons and tons of secret info that I'd been hiding away for a big announcement but, well , really I haven't been updating because there's not much to say. I feel pretty frustrated when I think about it and overwhelmed if I dwell on it, so I choose the really mature option and watch Gilmore Girls reruns rather than think about adoption.

I feel like we missed out on a pretty good window back in October and November. During those two months we were seeing A LOT of cases, like between two and five a week. But we weren't ready to put our names forward yet because we were still finalizing our home study. One of the most frustrating parts is that we did complete our home study in October, but we didn't get the paperwork we needed for three and half weeks. It really seems like we got our paperwork, applied for the one situation, and then everything ground to a complete halt. We've been seeing about one to two (or less) cases a week since then, and for all intents and purposes, it's basically none because those we have seen have been so expensive... $38,000 for a stork drop last week, $55,000 for twins due later in January. In total, we've seen about five cases in the last four months that have been within out budget. I typically skim the cost analysis, see the total number and then delete the email... what in the world am I supposed to do with numbers like that?

We were told that the end of the year, with all of the holidays, is typically very slow in the adoption world. And man, that was the truth. It's now two weeks after the first of the year and we have seen a few cases come though, so maybe things will begin to speed up a bit now. It still feels like a slow time in general. It appears we missed a good time in the fall and now we'll have to wait it out. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't frustrated. Just about everyone we spoke with that used our adoption consultant was matched within five months of working with her... many brought their babies home within that time. We have also chosen to pay a little bit of extra money in order to become clients of two attorneys, one in Florida and one in Oklahoma. They were both referred to us from our adoption consultant, but we've yet to see any cases from either of them... it's just silent out there.

However, despite the lack of movement in getting matched, we're doing pretty well in other areas. Fundraising is going pretty well, for which I'm out of my mind with thankfulness. Towards the end of the year, we got a few really unexpected donations from supporters. You guys, people I haven't seen or spoken to since high school have donated. Cue sobs and uncontrollable ugly cries. We also had a really fantastic fundraiser back in November where one of Sam's patients offered to make wreaths for the front door and sell them. She donated all of her time, which was about the sweetest thing ever. And get this, we ended up getting $3,400 from that fundraiser. Be still my heart. Who would have thought?

So far, we've raised $15,927 and sold 630 puzzle pieces. That's 370 left to go. Eeeek! Speaking of the puzzle, it's done. We actually finished putting it together several weeks ago; I've just been dragging on getting the names on the back. It's a pretty tedious process, but I think it's going to look pretty cool when it's all done (I hope).

The back of the puzzle with a very measly number of names filled in.

If you add in the money that Sam and I have put in, we're at a total of $19,421. Our original goal was for this adoption to cost about $30,000. Truth be told, I'm currently hoping to stay under $35,000 as I'm seeing our expenses continue to add up, but we're not actually any closer to bringing a baby home. We were pretty close to running out of time with You Caring (it was set to expire on January 15th), but I contacted them and got an extension, so now we're set to expire on March 15th.

In other news, I made the most insane purchase of my life... a rocker. More specifically a rocker for the NURSERY. I feel like a woman possessed... who took hold of my body? Honestly, the nursery is 50% done in theory... we've picked out a crib, dresser, rocker, and bedding. I figure that amounts to at least 50%, right? Now that I sit here with an empty email inbox, and no sign of a match in sight, it feels a bit rash (understatement of the year).

When we submitted for the first baby back in November, I was really surprised by the time frame... just five days until the due date. It was a complete shock. And since then, we've seen more and more situations that have had a really quick time frame. Some where the baby is already born and others where the due date is just a day or two away. These scenarios were really not what I was expecting... I figured we'd have at least a month or more. As I began to think about the reality that things can change in the adoption world in the blink or an eye, I decided that I might at least need an idea of what I wanted to do for the nursery... a general plan so that I wasn't needing to make decisions and search for a crib in a frantic moment.

So one weekend in December, mom and I set out to go look at nursery furniture. It was quite an odd experience. At every single store the subject came up of my flat stomach. "Oh my, you're so tiny," she'd exclaim. "Getting an early start, huh?" he'd ask. Even after I said I was adopting and wanted to see pieces that wouldn't take half a year to arrive (did you know that some baby furniture is a 12-16 week order time?!?) I'd still get comments about my flat stomach. I was mostly just overwhelmed by the whole process and the 10,000 options, so the comments were really the least of my worries. I do think a T-shirt might be called for on my next trip out. I'm thinking "My stomach is washboard flat only slightly pudgy because there's no baby in this belly. We're adopting!" would work.

After quite a bit of deliberation and math, I think we've made our choices. We're not getting it yet, because hello, as all the salespeople so often pointed out, my stomach is super flat... no baby in the belly, and no baby on the horizon. But we went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered the rocker because, well, rockers/gliders are next to impossible to find that even semi-fit Sam and his 6'9 frame. But also, we got a great deal! The rocker that we LOVE is on sale for $100 off right now, and we had a 15% off coupon, AND $75 in reward points that expire this month. It seemed financially wise to go ahead and purchase rather than waste the savings opportunity, don't ya' think?

So that's where we sit... and if we don't have a baby by mid February, I'll literally be sitting in that rocker. That or the sight of it will drive me to hysterics and I'll have to cover it with a sheet... you know another really mature way of dealing with the hard stuff. Continue to hope and pray with us that the right opportunity, within our financial abilities, comes through soon!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, that's crazy that the timeframes are so short in the adoption world. As frustrating as a lot of this can be, I'm praying that some day really soon, you find the perfect match. And that when that day comes- your baby will be here in a matter of days! Love you and your strength my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were on the adoption path there was a shirt that said "I'm expecting! You can tell by my smile, not my belly, adoption"or something like that which I always wanted to get.

    It's SO frustrating how expensive adoption is. It's ultimately the reason we can't adopt. Adoption in Canada is a 7 year wait and any intl program is $50,000 +. So frustrating.

    I'm glad things have been going well on the fundraising front. It's so amazing to see people come together and support you, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we got our home study approved the first time the social worker said it would be a good idea to start registering and picking out a few things, and I'm glad we did! After getting picked our prep time was next to nothing so I was so grateful we already had nursery furniture and bedding in the attic! I probably should have done the same this time, but I was afraid of "jinxing" it. Which is silly. I say with th r possibility of a quick placement, I would at least make a registry for yourself so you'll have a record of what you'll need, for yourself and for others too.
    And YAY on the fundraising!!! That's amazing!! And don't forget about the adoption tax credit, without which we couldn't have adopted again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, your baby is coming. I'm not sure when or how, but he or she is definitely coming. And when he or she arrives, you'll know that it was all for THAT baby. Because they were destined to be yours. You are one of the sweetest, most supportive friends that anyone could ever ask for. I want this so badly for you and I'll be praying, hoping and having faith every single day until it does!!

    Oh...maybe we should find cute tee's and go shopping together with our flat tummies! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully the right situation will come along soon and you'll be holding your precious bundle in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah...the furniture shopping (and general baby shopping) while not pregnant was pretty depressing. But I definitely think it's wise to go ahead and make some choices now (especially with Sam's height to take into account with chairs!!!). I would recommend (times one billion) just going on and buying a rock and play. It's small and you can keep it in a closet where you won't see it...but if you get a stork drop (or not, even if it's a nice long match), you'll be totally set. Millie STILL doesn't sleep in her crib, so it totally did not matter that we didn't even get it until she was 2.5 months old. It's still just a decorative item. :) And ditto on bedding, etc. But good call on the glider/rocker thing. And I'm torn on how useful it is/was to go ahead and make a registry at Target or Amazon for all the other random stuff. It SEEMED like a good idea, but to be honest, by the time we actually HAD her and people wanted to start buying us stuff, half (or more) the things I'd registered for had disappeared/expired/were no longer available and it was really obnoxious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off almost $20K in the bank!! Congrats on that HUGE milestone sweetie! I am praying every day that one way or another people are moved by your journey and funds continue to come in. I know what a stress that is for you guys and I'd love to see the total keep climbing and that burden ease. Next I think it's definitely smart to start picking us some items. Even if you get matched and the due date is a month or two away it's still a lot to do/get. Not to mention the money issue that it would be dropping a lot of cash in a short amount of time. So good work on that. Lastly I know the waiting is terrible. There's nothing I can say that will make it more bearable. But please know I am hoping and praying for your perfect match every single day. And Suzanne is right. It IS coming. Love to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I never imagine adoption cases were that short of notice. Sounds like it is a good idea to start prepping now as much as possible. I have faith ur baby is on the way. Its wonderful how selfless people have been on helping u guys save funds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Continuing to pray for you! Your little one is on their way and can't wait for you to finally meet him/her! Love that you bought the glider! I think this was a wonderful decision. You are so right, the money donated is such a blessing and I know friends and family will continue to bless you. Love ya friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Echoing all everyone has said. Sending so many hugs and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. how fun that you know what furniture you want - what a step of faith!!! So awesome! I'm also glad to read that You caring extended for you! How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited for you guys! I know it feels like a lull right now, but it is so true that it can all change in the blink of an eye. Baby Greavu is coming and is already so, so loved and prayed for. Thank you for the updates; we are all anxiously waiting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great that you are taking a leap of faith decorating the nursery. I know your baby will be occupying that room and rocker very soon. Keep the faith, Amanda!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your hubby is 6'9"?!!?? Wow


    The adoption process you are going through sounds so much different than the process we just experienced in Canada. I'm curious how they know the total cost of the adoption ahead of time and what determines if an adoption will be say $30k or $50?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The adoption tax credit is no longer in effect unfortunately. What's funny is my husband and I bought a house a month too late for the housing credit 5 or 6 years back and now we are thinking about stopping infertility treatments and pursuing adoption and the adoption tax credit is gone too! Our timing is always off. Several of my infertile friends have adopted and so far the lowest cost has been $38k (highest was over $100k and didn't result in a baby being taken home, so awful). It is so expensive. That's what drives me crazy when people say "just adopt". They don't understand what a difficult process it is and how incredibly expensive it is! It is very competitive and the best matches are the ones that are giving birth any second. All the successful ones I know about were a weeks notice or less. I hope you get a call any day now that your baby is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. You always open my eyes to new aspects of adoption. Thanks for always sharing so openly. The puzzle is so cool. And I can't believe how much you've raised! So great! Also, I love that you bought a rocker. I will be praying very specifically that very soon that rocker will be put to good use.

    ReplyDelete