Monday, January 5, 2015

Infertility Defines Me

A lot of people are quick to say that infertility doesn't define them. Other people say similar things about cancer or disabilities or any assortment of things. It comes from a place of empowerment... a desire not to be seen as weak due to a weakness or sick due to a sickness. A desire to be seen as an entire person, rather than the sum total of our parts. We often debate within the infertility community if we should call ourselves "infertile" or not. We discuss whether the inability to get pregnant within a year should become a noun we use to describe ourselves.

I get all of that, but I've always viewed infertility a little differently. I try not to offend anyone, but I use the term "infertile" with abandon. For one, it just simplifies life. The infertility community is rampant with acronyms. You don't have to hang out long to see that we have a love affair with the short and sweet. Message boards and blogs are filled with the likes of: BFN, BFP, IVF, FET, PIO, IUI, HSG, hCG, p4, E2, etc. It's like alphabet soup around here. So summarizing us as a group with a one word term rather than a description as "women who are dealing with infertility" or "couples who have been unable to conceive within a year/six months" just seems to make logical sense to me.

I often use the term for brevity, but I also regularly use the word to describe myself. If you ask me to describe myself, I'll probably tell you that I'm a witty, book reading, Jesus loving, infertile introvert or something along those lines. Sure infertility has only been a part of my life for a season, but it has really changed who I am. I view the world differently than I did four years ago. I view myself differently. I view hardship, marriage, loss, sickness, God, faith, finances... I view it all differently than I did before infertility. I would say other than my salvation, infertility has been the single most defining thing within my life. It has literally affected everything. So when I say infertile, I say it not as a component of my life, but as a descriptor of my life. I am infertile and infertility defines me.

Several months ago, I watched a message online that I really liked. It is in no way related to infertility, but rather a broader discussion of allowing your weakness to be seen… even boasting of it. I really enjoyed the viewpoint, so I thought I'd share. I know this can be a really controversial topic, so know that I'm not trying to step on toes or in anyway define anyone else. If you don't feel like infertility defines you, or if you have found a way for infertility not to encroach and creep into all aspects of your life, you may really disagree. That's fine. This is simply how I choose to view this thing that has infiltrated and colored my life.

Okay, so this message… you should really just go listen to the whole thing. I listened to the first five messages again last night… they are that good. The entire talk deals with the concept of "in the meantime" and asks the question "What do you do when there's nothing you can do?" I don't know about you, but that pretty much sums up infertility for me… nothing I can do. I mean, yes, absolutely, we have options to try: fertility treatments, diet, acupuncture, adoption, prayer, etc, but ultimately there's really nothing we can do to "solve" the problem. Doing all of the above may or may not bring the solutions we're hoping for (can I get an amen?). All six parts of the series are fantastic, but the second part focuses on the idea that God is most glorified in our weakness.

If asked to come up with some adjectives to describe my state of being right now, I would use words such as broken, discouraged, confused, inadequate… those are of course, separate from my identity in Christ, but that's kind of the point. I myself, do not portray nor boast a position of power. I feel completely helpless to remedy my circumstances. If you listen to part 2, you'll find that the Apostle Paul found himself in similar circumstances. He was imprisoned and dealing with a medical ailment that was debilitating, humiliating, and painful. He was completely unable to change his circumstances and he prayed over and over for the Lord to heal him, to remove the condition, to change his circumstances (sound familiar?). The Lord never removed the medical condition for Paul… He never healed him. That right there is encouraging to me. Paul was an integral part in the creation of the first century church; he is responsible for a large portion of the new testament text… if God was going to change the circumstances for someone, it should certainly have been Paul, and yet, He didn't.

I don't know about you, but I've found that trials in life often put our faith on trail. Infertility, for me, has proven to be both the greatest trial in my life and the greatest testing of my faith. I'm currently reading a new book, Every Bitter Thing is Sweet. I'm only one chapter in, but I can already tell that this is going to be good. The author Sara Hagerty struggled with infertility for years and within the first few pages, she writes "My question was not, Is God good? But instead, Is He good to me?" Mmm hmm, yes and yes. I've wrestled with that over and over again. But the story of Paul (and so many other new testament characters like John the Baptist and Lazarus) help to remind me that God is good. Period. Paul's story provides encouragement as Paul was surely important and dearly loved by God, yet God did not answer his countless prayers for healing. So we can draw a connection to our own circumstances. If God loved and valued Paul, but chose not to answer his prayers, then the lack of answers to my own prayers does not mean that God is absent, apathetic, or angry. I can still be dearly loved and valued. Paul ultimately came to this conclusion:
But he [the Lord] said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
So yes, I fully recognize that I am not solely an infertile woman. I am many, many more things: a wife, a daughter, a friend, a sister, a Daughter of the King. I am a book loving, chronic writing, [almost] crazy cat lady. However, infertility is most certainly my weakness. It is the circumstance that I have pleaded for God to change. And infertility defines me in so many ways. Infertility has changed me so much; I feel like my high school classmates wouldn't even recognize me. It's a wonder to me that I don't have a giant flashing billboard over my head with an arrow and the word infertile. I am infertile and infertility is me. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, for it is when I am weak that His strength has the potential to be seen through me. So I will boast of my weakness, and use the term "infertile" to define myself. Not only because I find it simpler, nor because I find it to be inclusive and a term of endearment and camaraderie, but ultimately the Lord is most glorified when I am weak. Whether He chooses to say yes to my requests, or respond no, or offer no response at all, He is still good. And my weakness, my inability to provide and do for myself is the greatest platform I can offer for His goodness and grace to shine.

12 comments:

  1. Wow this is pretty great Amanda :-) You are exactly right, our struggles really make our faith stronger because we can't fix any of it all by ourselves and God gets the glory. Thank you for sharing I am going to check out the link next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't all of our experiences as s culmination define us? And isn't it ever changing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. It's weird how infertility still feels like a central part of my identity, even though I'm a parent now. Also...basically unrelated, but semi-related? I can't decide if I should keep 'counting' my TTC clock. Like...technically, we have still never conceived...does Millie's adoption mean I have to stop the clock at 5.5 years, though? Or what? Is the TTC Clock Police going to come after me if I get it wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Heidi's point. As well as your outlook. Infertility has changed so much in my life. It marked a need for transition that was long overdue. Yes it was damn hard and I live with the scars. But without this experience, I would not be who I am today.

    Thank you for this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree. Even after having a kid, it still is such a big part of how I think. It may have morphed into sleepless nights, because I'm scared to death every night that he'll flip over and stop breathing or some other random thing that happens to .000005% of the population. No, other moms don't worry like one who's gone through infertility. It's like it never stops affecting you. Some things (many things actually) get easier once you've created a family, but then new instances continue to remind you of the battle you went through to get there. As always, I thank you for your honesty. Your post helped me feel a little more normal today, knowing I'm not the only one allowing it to take up space in my head and heart so much. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. One if the best blog posts I've read in a long time. Kinda blew my mind, my friend. Thank you, thank you for your wisdom, vulnerability and willingness to just wrestle and wrestle with this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post as usual, I want to set aside time to listen to the In The Meantime series. I think our experiences definitely define us and how can infertility not when it's an experience that lasts for years for many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always blow me away with your grace and strength. Every. Single. Time. Defines you? Not sure. Is it a piece of what's made you this loving, kind, generous soul? Maybe in a way. I have a feeling that you were this amazing person way before you ever had to look infertility in the eye. Infertility is a part of me...and I'm sure a part of you. But it isn't going to be what you're remembered for which to me, is what defines you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent what I feel like was almost the first year since my diagnosis trying to convince myself that infertility does not define me. But the last several months I've come to the conclusion that it does. And that's okay. I am with you that there is NO part of my life that this doesn't touch. I hope it won't always be that way. I know that I'll forever live with the scars of infertility but I pray that some way, some how I WILL be a parent some day and that it won't always define me. Won't be, as Suzanne said above, what I'm remembered for. Thanks for saying it out loud and making me feel okay about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phew... literally sat back in my chair and blew my breath out after that one. I completely agree with you. While I am much more than being infertile, it is THE THING that defines and shapes my life right now. I don't believe it will define me forever, but right now it is completely shaping, defining, and changing me. In some ways it's good, and in some ways it's not good. I'm not the same person I was when I threw away the birth control pills on March 1, 2012. And yes, we must learn to boast of our weakness. Only in that will God be fully glorified. Thank you for writing this and putting into words a lot of my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good thoughts my friend. Good thoughts. I've been wrestling with this for a looooong time. One day, I want to completely reject everything about infertility and its role in shaping who I am today. The next day, I fully embrace it, almost to the point where I take on a victim mentality. It's also weird to think about infertility when you're no longer in the trenches of meds, IUIs, RE visits and whatnot....like, I'm on the other side of that, but not on the other side of infertility. But if that keeps me tethered to my Maker and allows His power to be made perfect in my weakness, then yep, I'll happily wear the Infertile Billboard with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Post! It was worth reading. I agree, infertility changes the life of many.
    Even I was also suffering from infertility issue and I know how I faced my society ,my family. It was difficult time for me till the treatment was going on because there was no surety of success but thanks to fertility clinics to support me and for the positive result.

    ReplyDelete