Let me preface this post by saying I am in no way an authority on this topic. I can't tell you how many hours over the last few years I've spent thinking, reading, searching for answers. The bottom line is this: the following two part series (yep, series) includes the conclusions that I have come to. They are what works for my family and the way we plan to move forward. If your family chooses or has chosen a different path or a different view, I may disagree, but I don't hold that against you. This is a highly sensitive subject, so let us agree to step into the deep end and tread these waters with a whole lot of grace.
I am a Christian. And I am infertile. For some reason, these two things seem to bump into each other a lot. From day one infertility beat up on my faith. I remember wondering if I was being punished, if I was unfit in the Lord's eyes for motherhood... I asked a lot of questions in those early days. The hardest issue for me to grapple with was prayer and faith in terms of infertility. Ultimately the question came down to this: should we seek treatment or should we simply pray about it? Initially, I wondered if choosing treatment meant that I didn't believe in prayer, believe in the power of prayer. At the time I first made my decision, only two people in my world knew about my infertility. My dilemma wasn't due to feeling judged or persecuted for my decision... no one knew I was making it. As I'm now about to embark on IVF, you can ascertain where I eventually came down on that decision.
But it wasn't a one time thing... I've had to ask myself at each and every step along the way if I should continue down this path. When I initially chose treatment, I was putting my toe in, per se, to see if the water was warm. We were just choosing an oral medication (clomid) to increase the chances of ovulation, but it seemed monumental at the time. And then the next decision was upon us: do we stop here, or do we move forward? It's one of the reasons I'm often thankful for our financial situation; it made us stop, made us pause long enough to think. If you had asked me 10 years ago how I felt about IVF, I'd have told you no way, not for me, I don't want to play God. So am I letting my circumstances change my morals, or was I simply an uninformed, opinionated, seemingly fertile teenager? Ultimately, I believe it is the latter. But I still believe some of the same things I did as a teenager. I've just learned that this is a really, really murky world. There is no black and white here; if you're looking for that, turn and run away, because if you really dive in you'll see that it's gray... gray, gray, gray.
I've also been forced to question my decision to pursue treatment over and over again because of the questions and comments I have received along the way. I have often felt judged for "not having enough faith". People tell me stories all the time about their sister, mother, cousin, best friend, etc. who couldn't have children but they prayed or they went to a healing service and then they became pregnant. I'm never sure exactly what I should to do with those conversations. While I'm thrilled for their sister, mother cousin, etc, I never know if this is a thinly veiled remark on my faith (or lack there of). Are they sharing simply to share God's power and encourage me on my way, or to suggest that if I prayed harder, I wouldn't need IVF? I never know. Am I being overly sensitive? Possibly. This is a sensitive subject. But it often feels as if the group of women who choose not to pursue treatment for whatever reason are championed more... like those pursuing treatments are cheating in some way.
So let me tell you what I've come to believe is true: I can do IVF 100 times with the best doctors in the wold, but if the Lord doesn't breathe life, no amount of science will bring me a baby. So why then does the Lord seem to breathe life only for those embryos to fail? Why then does He breathe life and allow miscarriage? Why then does He bless a woman who does not want a child and will eventually choose abortion? I do not know; I am not God. But I really, really believe that the Lord will either bless our journey through fertility treatments with a baby, or He won't, and the outcome has nothing to do with the fact that we chose treatment. His ways are higher than my ways. I do not feel confident that we will leave IVF with a baby. Why? Because God has not promised me a baby. Not via IVF, or adoption, or by any other means. And I don't believe that I can extrapolate God's promise to Sarah or Hannah from the Bible onto my life and my circumstances. And so I embark on IVF with no confidence in our success, but full confidence that my God loves me and is for me.
Choosing treatment, in my opinion, doesn't negate my faith or diminish it, no more than is true for a person seeking a lung transplant for Cystic Fibrosis or a patient seeking chemotherapy for breast cancer. In addition, the fact that I chose treatment does not mean that I decided not to pray over our circumstances. I don't believe that this is an either/or scenario. I'm choosing treatment and I'm on my knees at the same time, asking for blessings, asking for peace, asking for provision. So to those who would look at an infertile couple pursuing treatments and judge, I would simply ask you this: if you were diagnosed with a treatable disease today, not a deadly one, just a life changing one, would you do as your doctor recommends, or would you say no thank you and turn to prayer? If the latter is your answer, good for you; I suppose you can judge those of us pursuing treatment. But if your answer is the former, I would caution you to approach these circumstances with as much grace as you can muster.
Like I said, it's murky water out here in the deep end. If you dive in, you won't know what's up and what's down. This is tough stuff that requires a lot of pondering, questioning, asking, and listening. There are moral and ethical decisions tied up in fertility treatments whether you are a Christian or not, whether you acknowledge them or not. So stay tuned for part 2 of Faith and Fertility Treatments.
This is a great post. I completely agree with you that there are no black & white answers, and we don't even have all the answers! I've often felt the same way as you, like people were questioning my faith when I told them I was pursuing treatment. At the end of the day, we all need to make the decisions that WE feel comfortable with while maintaining a strong faith. The moral and ethical decisions tied up with IVF are not easy decisions to make and we are all doing the best we can.
ReplyDeleteThis is deep stuff!! I'm so glad that even though the Lord is taking all of us girls on different paths, we can still come together to encourage each other and carry each others burdens. I'm so thankful you have a peace about your decision and excited to see how He reveals it all!! Cheering you on!!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful post Amanda. I also consider myself a Christian, though there are times I wish my faith were stronger.
ReplyDeleteI have a dear friend lose one of her best friends over her choice to do IVF. (The friend was adamantly against it due to religion) I often thought to myself, had she not had a child so easily, would she feel the same way? Can people really judge if they don't know what it's like?
I also see little difference in choosing science and doctors to give us the best chance possible to have a child when people do that every single day with cancer, heart attacks, even minor surgeries, etc. Anyone with a family member with cancer will continue to pray for their loved one. They also pray for the doctors that are caring for that individual. I believe infertility is no different. xo
Wow, I really couldn't agree with you more. I often think what others might think of me - 6 IVF's... when is she going to give up?! But I then think about if I, or someone else, were diagnosed with a different (untreatable) disease, that I'd do everything I could to help the disease go away... and on top of that, I'd PRAY. xoxo
ReplyDeleteI think you made a good point, that you are still looking to Him for guidance this whole time. You didn't just jump into fertility treatments without considering it from all angles clearly, and by doing treatments you aren't dissing God's plan. You are "actively waiting" while continuing to honor God. There is nothing wrong with that.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't make sense to me that certain people would judge those seeking help for infertility any differently than those seeking help for other diseases, life threatening or not. That's like saying people who are born with diabetes shouldn't take insulin because obviously God intended they were born that way for a reason. For what...to just die without the medicine they need?
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm so thankful for a God of miracles- and the doctors He sometimes uses to deliver them. Can't wait for part 2!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said! There's many perspectives about this subject and I couldn't agree more with you. Just bc u are accepting treatment does not make you a non believer or going against God.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post! I struggled as well and I agree 100%. So looking forward to part 2.
ReplyDeleteI was raised a Christian. I am no longer practicing but I am still a spiritual person in my own way. I get how this would weigh heavy on your soul. I believe that this is such a personal choice that no matter what your reason for wanting or not wanting to peruse fertility treatment is yours and alone. That you have to feel a peace in your soul about what you are willing to try or forgo and no one has the right to cast judgement or push an opinion on someone else. I am so glad that you have allowed yourself to be open minded enough to make decisions for yourself. No one has the right to say what God would want you to do besides you. You are the only one that knows your own heart. You are in my thoughts and I hope this is a good experience for you and you are filled with continued peace.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your thoughts. We've been wrestling through the same thing and have come to a similar conclusion. My husband is constantly reminding me that technology is a gift from God and we should be grateful that we live in a time period where there are fertility-treatment options. Will pray for your guys as you continue on this journey. Excited to see what God does in your heart and your womb. ; )
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your post. You wrote it so beautiful and I agree that unfortunately amidst all of the pain we as Christians are oftened judged for our decisions.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! As you probably know I do not identify as Christian, but it was really interesting for me to read this. This was really well thought out and you have obviously spent lots of time thinking it over. I have used the same logic when "letting" my parents help us pay for IVf. It seems weird but if I had another health diagnosis I would not feel bad asking them to help! Looking forward to part two!
ReplyDeleteI feel like you wrote this straight from my head! I just pray about it and go in the direction I feel God directs me to. I thinks that's all you can do. Whatever is best for ya'll is all that matters :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post. I completely agree that seeking fertility treatment is not different from being treated for other illnesses and conditions.
ReplyDeleteI'm not religious, but I did struggle with the decision to use fertility treatments (and the possibility of IVF). For me, it was more about it not being "organic" and possibly putting unnecessary chemicals and hormones into my body. I think your view changes the further you go down that road. Someone who has never had trouble conceiving or carrying to term wouldn't be able to say, in my opinion, what they would do/feel if put in that position.
Great post! It's hard enough to be infertile, but sometimes I think it's even harder to be infertile AND be a Christian because of all the judgement people throw at you! I've had "christian" friends tell me that if I truly believed in God, I wouldn't need to pursue any treatments. And I've had "christian" friends tell me that if I wanted a baby strong enough, I need to understand that IVF is God's plan for me and by not pursuing IVF, I must not really be following God's will for my life. Craziness! Where do people get off thinking that they can pass such judgement?! Gah, it really bothers me sometimes. Anywho...great post Amanda! :)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love this post! I especially like this:
ReplyDelete"So let me tell you what I've come to believe is true: I can do IVF 100 times with the best doctors in the wold, but if the Lord doesn't breathe life, no amount of science will bring me a baby."
Yes, yes, a thousand times! On our journey, even though we pursued treatment, we went into it with the understand that the end result was in the Lord's hands - not ours. HE knew whether or not our family would be expanded, HE knew what would be best for us and our marriage, HE saw the full picture rather than our limited snapshot.
We feel blessed to be expecting a child now but went into treatment knowing that it was in NO WAY a guarantee of a healthy pregnancy and live birth.
As for prayer and IF treatment, I do feel it is a matter of your personal faith journey. If you have prayed over pursing treatment and feel at peace with pursing treatment, feel that the Lord is blessing the course by providing funds and a medical staff you are comfortable with, that you and your spouse both feel God moving you into treatment... Go for it, prayerfully, and never stop praying.
One of the best things I have learned in BSF is that prayer is our opportunity to become aligned with God's will. Eventually, you see your prayers change from end-result focus to experience/peace focused. For me, this was "Please give us a child" to "Thank you for the opportunity to pursue treatment, help me to be at peace with the outcome." That was so freeing for me!
The end result will always be in His hands. Praying for you!
I completely agree with you, Amanda. I struggle a lot with the word "Christian" because of the exact kind of judgement you described (and for even worse kinds of judgement and hypocrisies). So I usually refer to myself as "a person of faith." I definitely believe God is real, and like you I believe he is the ultimate creator of life. But I also firmly believe that he helps those who help themselves, as the saying goes.
ReplyDeleteYour analogy to other kinds of medical intervention is a good one. In fact, we might ask those who question our faith in pursuing infertility treatment, to what ends would they pursue medical help to save their own children's lives? Should they let a sick baby get sicker and do nothing but pray to intervene, trusting God alone to give life or take it away? There are people out there who have been in the news for doing that--for example, Herbert and Catherine Schaible, who let not one but two babies die of very treatable illnesses because they trusted "faith-based" healing. That couple, and others like them, have been charged with murder, and rightly so. Now obviously that is an extreme example, but my point is if Christian parents accept medical treatment to save and protect their children's lives, there is no room to judge other Christians who pursue treatments to make their future children's lives possible. It all comes down to the same thing: pursuing life. I believe that when we cherish and long for life, we are honoring God and his creations.
I found your blog via "Where the *Bleep* is Our Stork?" and I just wanted to let you know this is a fantastic post. I'm going through the same thing now as we've had 3 IUIs, one canceled IUI cycle, and it looks like IVF is next. If you haven't already, you might want to check out The Infertility Companion by Sandra L. Glahn. It's on Amazon and I found it invaluable in terms of making these decisions from a Christian perspective. God bless you as you continue in your journey.
ReplyDelete"Choosing treatment, in my opinion, doesn't negate my faith or diminish it, no more than is true for a person seeking a lung transplant for Cystic Fibrosis or a patient seeking chemotherapy for breast cancer." That's basically how I feel about it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Amanda! This is really powerful. I have wrestled with these thoughts a little bit. I think it is wonderful when "infertiles" get pregnant by surprise/through prayer. But - that doesn't always happen. I am thankful that IVF exists. I think it is a blessing from God. I know many Christians would disagree, but they also make a lot of assumptions. I can be a Christian and receive treatment that is in line with my moral compass (i.e. pro life). I've heard this statement a lot regarding IVF: "I don't want to play God." I can see why people think that, but it makes me wonder about birth control. Isn't birth control playing God too if IVF is? I know I know, birth control prevents a life in the first place so the issue isn't really an issue like embryos and miscarriages, but I think it's an interesting thought process. I remember freaking out about a year ago
ReplyDeleteVery well said. I too have grappled with these same dilemmas. My MIL is a very faithful woman and often times I have felt that she thinks the pursuit of fertility treatments is all in vain, that what we need to do is leave it up to God. It's a tough subject, because as much as we all know that God ultimately decides our path, when I know that I have physical challenges within my body, how can I sit back and not try to help the situation. Like you said, if anyone is told they have a treatable "disease" most would turn to medicine for help.
ReplyDeleteThis was an amazing post. I have to believe that God is with us through all the treatments, doctor's appointments and pregnancy tests, mourning with us and joyful through the good times. I don't believe he withholds babies from some and freely gives babies to others. I think He just wants to be there with us through the journey, building our faith.
ReplyDeleteGirl, I have wrestled those same questions and wondered if my faith was lacking or if I was being punished. Thank you for standing up and advocating for yourself and the community!
ReplyDelete