Wednesday, August 14, 2013

To Try, or Not to Try

Confession time: I haven't really been trying to get pregnant. Gasp! I know! What kind of infertile am I? The IUI kind of spoiled me. I'm sure it sounds strange to most people, but on some level, an IUI is a break from the monotony that is timed intercourse. It takes some of the stress out of the picture. It doesn't matter whether he feels like it, or if I'm into it, it just happens. There's no need for candles, or mood music. It's as close to a guarantee as you can get. I mean not a guarantee of success, but a guarantee that sperm an egg will have a fighting change.

I guess the failure of the IUI, the failure of my body to do what it was supposed to (again) even with four (maybe five) beautiful, plump follicles and an extremely lush lining has made me question what the heck I think I'm doing every month with all this timed intercourse and charting and ovulation testing. But if I'm being really honest, this started before the IUI. During my April cycle I was given strict orders NOT to get pregnant because of the laparoscopy. And it was lovely. I still kept my BBT chart that month, but I didn't test with OPK's and we didn't time intercourse... it was refreshing.

May's cycle started and we spent much of June preparing and hoping for a successful IUI. And while I won't say that IUI's are stress free (see here for evidence of my stress level), IUI's do remove the stress and the obligation to get it all right. The monitoring gave me confidence that we wouldn't miss ovulation and the actual IUI procedure allowed us to kind of chill in the baby dancing arena... again, refreshing.

So after two months of just not fooling with timed intercourse and all the stress, the next month kind of just happened. I didn't test for ovulation, I didn't worry with timing intercourse. And while you can imagine my shock when I wasn't pregnant, I kind of just didn't care enough to put in the effort throughout the month. I'm terrible, I know. I whine all day about wanting a baby soooo badly, but when it comes to putting in the time, I'm not interested. Pathetic. This month has happened almost identically. I'm charting (sort of), but I haven't tested for ovulation and I haven't worried about timed intercourse... I'm pretty confident in the outcome of this cycle already. In fact, I think I've taken like 5 prenatal vitamins in the last two months. I have religiously taken prenatal vitamins for two years, and now, I just can't seem to work up the energy. How much energy does it require to take a vitamin, you ask? Umm, effectively none. The bottles sit on my nightstand. There is also always a beverage of some kind on my nightstand. It is all of an arm's length away. And yet, every night I think, "what's the point?", and my arm just can't seem to bridge the great expanse of space between bed and table.

I'm not really sure what this says about my psyche at the moment. Is this a faith thing? A "if He wants me to be pregnant, He'll make it happen" thing? Or is this an "if IUI doesn't work, nothing I do will work either" kind of thing? Because that's the other option. We've been at this for two years now. And for the vast majority of that, we've been trying hard, really, really hard, to get pregnant. We've done six medicated cycles, four of those were IUI's, and yet all have been an absolute bust. So you can see why the thought is there... if two years of timed intercourse and fours cycles of IUI didn't work, our only hope is IVF. And if that's true, then shouldn't we just live? Just enjoy? We are already living under such heavy restrictions in other areas of our lives as we prepare for IVF, so shouldn't we give ourselves a break here, where our efforts seem fruitless?

What do you think? If it was you, would you take a break from the charting, testing, and baby dancing? Would you put your baby dreams on hold until IVF? Or would you go the exact opposite direction? Would you get fired up to give it everything you've got before handing over that GIANT chunk of change? To try or not to try, that is the question.

12 comments:

  1. Belle Haven Drive here: Bless your heart, Amanda! Girl, I stopped "trying" a loooong time ago. Once good ol' baby dancing CLEARLY wasn't working anymore, I didn't even put effort into timed intercourse. I simply looked ahead to the next treatment cycle. My mind is at the point where sex does not equal baby; it's so messed up. You are NOT alone here. I stopped my prenatals in between IVF cycles, too, just to spite my body ...? I have been better between my last IVF and now, but that's because I've been working hard to improve my egg quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on a break now!! Just started a week ago! After two years of chartings, whew! No charting, no ovulation kits, no tracking intercourse, nothing!! For me, I felt the Lord tell me, Caroline 'STOP'!!!! Stop trying to control things. So, I would say if you are at peace charting, etc, continue! But, if it brings you anxiety and other thoughts that are not from the Lord, stop!! I know, not always this easy, but I want to join you in praying about what to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOtally feel you here. When I stopped charting everything...it was SUCH a relief. I mean, I still keep track in my mind and know what CD I'm on and we definitely still aim for BD during optimal times, but...such a relief to not obsess over everything. I def felt like...I mean, IT'S GONNA TAKE A MIRACLE NO MATTER WHAT. And if God's ready to do a miracle, then he doesn't NEED me to know my ovulation time within 3 hours of it, he doesn't NEED me to have Mucinexed so that my CM is optimal, he doesn't NEED blah blah blah...when He's ready, it'll happen. And but then I waver back to the other side of like 'well, I want to be doing my part to make sure!...' but...I think like Caroline said, it's about what degree you're trying to CONTROL it and how obsessed/crazy it's making you. Sometimes I can face it all in a very precise but detached way? But sometimes it's more obsessive, which is definitely not from God. So...sorry for the rambling. :) GO on with your bad self! ;) Also, let's get lunch again soon. I've been meaning to text you about this all week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going on 5 years, I'd be crazy if I hadn't stopped charting and forcing us to BD every month. So don't be too hard on yourself. I can relate to everything you're feeling. I think it is natural to feel like "what's the point" and then maybe the cycle before you're IVF....you'll give it your all....just in case it could work and save you all that money. Just go with whatever feels right to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We definetly took breaks when we were TTC. It was so nice not to stress about wether or not I got pregnant that month. Breaks can be good things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can definitely relate to this. We've had to take a break for 3 months because of my septum surgery and still have one more month to go before we can try again. It's hard knowing there's not even a chance I could be pregnant, but like you said, it's also VERY nice to have a break from the nightmare of timed intercourse. And I can so understand about not feeling motivated to take the prenatals! I've been taking those dang pills for a year and a half and it's just starting to feel pointless :/ I think letting yourself take it easy before IVF is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so proud of you!! I know how hard it is to let go of that control, even for the briefest of moments. Timed intercourse can take suck so much out of the romance that to be able to take a step back is a fantastic idea. Hey...certainly doesn't mean you're "not trying"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girlfriend, After two years of ttc myself I was right where you were. The last two months were break months for us. The first month was by choice because my heart just needed it. The second month was from the broken finger and surgery so it wasn't by choice. However, when I was nearing the end of the first month break I was contemplating taking another month off. About the time I decided not to...I broke the finger. Take whatever time you need to rejuvenate your mind and body and you'll know when you're ready to get back in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Taking breaks are a must. All that can get so stressful and just take over a person. We took breaks during our TI phase and it was so needed. Sending you continued thoughts and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm all about the breaks. In fact, I have purchased 5 donor semen samples and I can't even find the motivation to use them at the moment because I am just so DONE with TTC right now. We are focusing on our adoption journey for the moment. I need breaks for my sanity.

    Sending you thoughts and prayers as you decide what to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I haven't "tried" to get pregnant in what feels like forever! I think it's healthy. Healthy to let go a little bit. Drink a glass of wine, have a caffeinated coffee (or 700!), skip your prenatals, don't temp or chart... Give your mind a little reprieve (if that's even possible for people like us!!). Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. If your heart is telling you to take a break, then take it. Sometimes a month may be all you need and you'll feel like you want to try again. Like many other bloggers who commented, we've taken "breaks" here or there from treatments, and usually be the time one month is of being laid back has passed, I am 100% ready to try full force again. It seems like the time crawls when we aren't doing a treatment cycle, but the break is so desperately needed at time. Oh, and I agree with other bloggers here...temping went out the window a long time ago. That thermometer is pure evil I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete