Tuesday, March 12, 2013

More Infertile

Can you even be more infertile than infertile? If you can, I think I might be headed to that place. Great.

Lately, my basal body temperature charts have kind of sucked. Honestly, I've never been one of those girls who has beautiful charts. Mine are kind of all over the place. However, the one thing that I could consistently count on was high luteal phase temps. It may be iffy as to when ovulation occurred, but there's a definite "before" period when the temps are low and an "after" period when they are high. Take a look at this:

November 2011 BBT chart
2 months after miscarriage, no defined crosshairs,
but distinct low and high areas, highest temp 98.5

August 2012 BBT chart
First month at ACRM, clomid 50mg, uncertain about ovulation date,
but very distinct high/low pattern, highest temp 98.32
May 2012 BBT chart
First month off birth control to remove cysts, clear shift,
low's before, high's after, highest temp 98.44
See what I mean? Sometimes the point of ovulation is super obvious, sometimes it's not, but regardless there was always a definite "before" and "after". There have always been low low's and high high's. Until now.

Here's the last three months:

December 2012 BBT chart
No ovulation detected by OPK or by thermal shift. Temps are
almost equal CD 1-12 as CD 26-38, highest temp 98.12

January 2013 BBT chart
Possible O, no OPK's used, definite lows and high's, but the highs's are
still low, only 2 days above 98, highest temp 98.12

February 2013 BBT chart
Confirmed Ovulation, but post O temps are
EXTREMELY low, haven't even reached 98.
What do you make of this? I, the over-analyzer, averaged out the high temps. In 2011, during the 7 months that I charted, my average high was 98.52. For 8 months in 2012, my high temperature averaged 98.43. But for the last three cycles, the average has only been 98.03. Now granted this month isn't over. I'm only 5DPO, but I've never had consistent post ovulation temperatures below 98 degrees.

What is going on? Am I ovulating? Does the corpus luteum really suck? Do I need progesterone? Is this evidence that my eggs suck? Is this further evidence of Endometriosis or PCOS? Are low post ovulation temperatures evidence of ANYTHING?


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this looks so stressful. I'm sorry friend :( When I took a few months off from IVF, I did acupuncture and herbs and my acupuncturist had me charting my temps. I hated it more than anything else - it was the most stressful thing to me becuase I never had pretty charts. I don't have much advice, since I only charted for about three months total (and then completely gave up on it!). Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used the BBT, so I am no help to advice. I agree with Aubrey, though, it looks stressful! Hope you find some answers soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would comment on some things, but I'm sure I'm totally wrong. I bring my chart to my acupuncturist every time, and what I thought would be a "bad" sign, she would say it was a good sign! Don't stress about every number! And, they definitely don't look low - you are for sure ovulating, which is a good sign :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility from cover to cover and even kept track of my temps for a while, but it soon became clear that those charts were going to frustrate me like crazy so I quit. I also hated waking up every morning and having to address my infertility before I did anything else. But GOOD FOR YOU for sticking with it. I know that they can be really helpful in clearing up mysteries and teaching you about your body. I wish I had answers for you, but as I BBT dropout, I've got nothing.

    ReplyDelete