I'm spotting. My temperature, though already low, took the deadly downward plunge this morning. My period is imminent. And I'm a little sad about that. You'd think by this point, I'd be over seeing red. I mean, really, did I expect anything different? No, no I didn't. But I guess, no matter what, whether I'm in the midst of treatment or not, it hurts a little each time evidence arrives that I am once again not pregnant.
Like a lot of women, the impending flood also signals the cocktail of female hormones to plummet leaving me irritable and well, sad. So I guess a little sadness today is no surprise. I could simply write the sadness off as a "that time of the month" issue and go on. But really, I'm sad for lots of reasons. My period is just one of them.
Sam and I went on a little date night this past weekend. It was glorious to get out of my mom's house and spend some one-on-one time together! And as we had a gift card, it was a beautifully cheap date night! But what did we talk about? Sam's job opportunities, my lack of job opportunities, and IVF! Hot topics, huh? You can imagine the romance between us, right? We discussed how our original game plan of IVF by the end of this year is looking less and less likely. It simply doesn't seem like we will have $15,000+ by the end of the year. That makes me sad. Really, really sad. A little mad, but mostly sad.
Infertility as a whole makes me sad. It makes me sad that I worry when a friend says they have good news. It makes me sad that friends feel like they have to preempt good news with, "don't worry, we're not pregnant." It makes me sad that a basic human function that more than 90% of women achieve with ease is my greatest failure in life. It makes me sad that we aren't planning to buy a house or take an awesome vacation now that grad school is coming to a close, but rather how we will pay for a radically expensive medical procedure. It makes me sad that I can't give my mom a grandchild. It makes me sad that I can't make my husband a dad. It makes me sad that infertility is literally affecting all aspects of my life. Even aspects like job selection.
Sam and I were discussing our future in terms of health insurance today. What will we do if his job doesn't cover me? Or if it is too expensive for me to be under his policy? One option of course is simply a cheap major medical plan. I've had one of those before. It's not glamorous, but it covers me incase of a legitimate emergency. But there is, of course, no maternity coverage. Sam is ADAMANT that maternity coverage is critical. I laughed. I told him, I, of all people, can feel pretty darn safe without maternity coverage. If we aren't actively in an IVF cycle, I don't see a real need. Sam on the other hand said this, "As soon as you drop maternity coverage, you'll end up pregnant." Is that a promise? Can we cancel my insurance today? But in all seriousness, it sucks that infertility has to even factor into his career. It makes me sad that basic things like where to live are dictated by proximity to good IVF clinics. It makes me sad that insurance packages play such a big part in the decision process. It makes me sad that money has suddenly become infinitely more important to me. The difference in job A and job B is $2000, big deal right? No, that's a HUGE deal all of a sudden. And I hate that.
Tonight, with the arrival of my period due at any time, knowing that I am most certainly still not pregnant, I'm a little sad. Infertility, you suck.
I'm sorry this is such a sad time, but glad you got to have a date night and have some time just the two of you. I completely relate to the whole insurance and financial burden of this infertility mess. They should have special insurance just for us that provides round the clock comfort and care (plus all the diet coke you can drink) and it should be free. If I ruled the world...
ReplyDeleteBeing an adult sucks sometimes, doesn't it? Nothing insightful to say today, but I'll give you the old cliches: hang in there and keep your chin up! And eat some chocolate :)
ReplyDeleteI totally know what you mean... even though after so many months of not being pregnant you feel like you should just expect your period each month. But, when it comes, it's no less painful. If anything, it's more painful every single month that it comes. I'm so sorry, friend. Thinking of you always! xo
ReplyDeleteUGH. I'm sorry things are hard (and sad) right now. Even with R's vasectomy, I still get disappointed every time AF shows up. Everybody wants a miracle...
ReplyDeleteThinking of you!
So sorry you are sad today! But remember, it's ok to be sad!!! Hope that you are able to find joy and peace and place your faith and hope in Him!!
ReplyDeleteInfertility, you TOTALLY suck. I hear ya, hon. All of this stuff is so incredibly tough and so many of us can relate to it. I wish that you were free to make decisions, spend money, and choose adventures based on something other than infertility. I hope that someday that wish will come true. It will. I know it will. Until then, I'm going to plead with God on your behalf. Right now, in my office at work, I'm praying for ya.
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog! I can relate so much to this post. It's crazy how infertility can affect you, in so many different ways. And it's totally fine to be sad...maybe even a good thing...I never want to become cynical about this journey and I think once you take the emotions out, you're just left with bitterness and cynicism. I think it's much better to feel your way through infertility, even when it's hard (which is all the time haha!). Praying for you!
ReplyDeleteI feel ya, girl! Right there with you. Even though all my levels and IUI pointed towards a pregnancy at the end of the month, it was so hard for me to believe that it was actually going to happen. I am so disappointed every month I see my period, the disappointment doesn't get less intense, it actually increases.
ReplyDeleteIt is totally okay to be sad, angry, and upset... or whatever you want to be!
You are definitely in my prayers :)
It never gets easier, does it? I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I'm right there with ya, and this is exactly how I'm feeling today.
ReplyDeleteI've been catching up on your blog and I'm looking forward to following you. I'm so sorry about your IF struggles. Infertility does in fact, suck...a lot. I hope this all gets better for you very soon.
ReplyDeleteIF you do pursue IVF, I would consider the Attain program. We are doing the Attain refund program (3 fresh, 3 frozen cycles) with a 70% refund if you don't have a baby. Hopefully you won't even have to go there, but it takes some of the pressure off financially.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right, infertility sucks... on so many levels. I can relate to everything you said, specially the planning your life around fertility treatments. There are so many things to consider when dealing with all of this. I hope you feel a little bit better each day.
ReplyDelete