No, not champagne. As I've mentioned before, I'm not a big drinker, for various reasons. But if I were to choose an alcoholic beverage it would most certainly NEVER be Champagne. In fact, Sam and I have received two FREE bottle of champagne in our life and we've yet to consume any of it. We attempted to toast to our 2nd anniversary with a free bottle and managed a picture before we spit it out. GROSS!!!
| Fakers. We received a free bottle of champagne from the Ritz Carlton for our 2nd anniversary. Here's us after dinner, trying to take advantage of the situation. The bottle remained nearly full. : ( |
When we got super serious about trying to make a baby, and after the realization that it wan't going to be easy, I went a little psycho and researched EVERYTHING that might POSSIBLY cause birth defects and miscarriage and all manor of awful things. I decided to go ahead and live as if I was pregnant. So I eliminated all caffeine from my life unless I was on my period. This meant switching to caffeine free Diet Coke. Gag. How can it taste so different? Does caffeine have a flavor? However I persevered.
Finally, I decided to just give up Diet Coke, in all forms. I wasn't really enjoying the caffeine free variety, and despite the fact that a can of coke has waaaayyyyy less than the recommended 200mg limit of caffeine, I wasn't willing to drink the full flavor variety in case it might possibly negatively affect a pregnancy on the off chance that I actually got pregnant. I lasted 18 days without a taste of my beloved beverage. Then my husband had one and I took a sip. Rocked my world! How had I lived without it?
Since then I've been waffling back and forth. I've fallen off the wagon quite a bit I hate to admit. I am definitely an addict. I'll go three or four days without and then drink it every day for a few days before I get the will to go again. It's not something that I can have a little bit of. The more I drink it, the more it is the ONLY thing I want to consume. For me, it's got to be an all or nothing kind of thing. I don't see myself able to restrict myself to one a week or one a month as a transition period.
Here's my conundrum. There are basically two things that I love about Diet Coke that I can determine: the sweetness and the bubbly. The sweetness I can achieve via other beverages, albeit they aren't necessarily that much better for me. Crystal Light is normally my method of consuming water. I hate water. I can drink it if it is SUPER cold (and I'm hot), but I don't like it. And if it is not beyond frigid, it kind of makes me gag. But the carbonation… I'm binging hard for carbonation after about 4-5 days without it.
Here's another problem that I've noticed: when I don't drink lovely, sparkly, bubbly beverages, I don't drink much of anything. On a typical NO DIET COKE day, I'll realize about 2pm that I've had nothing to drink all day. If there's some Crystal Light on hand, I'll pour a glass, if not, I just think about not thinking about Diet Coke. I normally find that I drink about two glasses of some flavored concoction a day, and that's because I made myself. Recently, I discovered these little gems:
I love the fact that you don't have to wait for powdery stuff to dissolve. You don't have to shake it or stir it. Beautiful! I'm definitely finding that the ease and the ability to change flavors throughout the day make me drink a bit more. But let's be real here. If my purpose is to stop drinking Diet Coke because it's full of artificial this and processed that, than Crystal Light and Dasani Drops aren't too much of a leap forward are they?
So I come before you with my plight. My greatest wish is for something carbonated that isn't artificially sweetened, but that also doesn't contain a zillion calories. I'm normally a zero calorie only girl as far as drinks go, but I could swing for like 50 calories or something like that. Anybody have some recommendations for beverages I should try?
Here's another problem that I've noticed: when I don't drink lovely, sparkly, bubbly beverages, I don't drink much of anything. On a typical NO DIET COKE day, I'll realize about 2pm that I've had nothing to drink all day. If there's some Crystal Light on hand, I'll pour a glass, if not, I just think about not thinking about Diet Coke. I normally find that I drink about two glasses of some flavored concoction a day, and that's because I made myself. Recently, I discovered these little gems:
| Dasani flavor drops |
So I come before you with my plight. My greatest wish is for something carbonated that isn't artificially sweetened, but that also doesn't contain a zillion calories. I'm normally a zero calorie only girl as far as drinks go, but I could swing for like 50 calories or something like that. Anybody have some recommendations for beverages I should try?
My vote will go to La Croix. The first (few) times I tried it (variety of flavors) I thought it was gross because it's NOT sweet at all. It's very bubbly and lightly flavored, but no kind of sweeteners. Eventually it grew on me. I really like the coconut kind (especially with coconut rum mixed in, but pretty sure that's not the point, haha)- it's very tropical and different. But there are lots of flavors...so try one out and see what you think.
ReplyDeleteI hate champagne too! I think we have 4 bottles in our wine cabinet now! bleh. Crystal Light is my favorite thing ever and sense I don't drink that or caffeine anymore, I just stick to plain old water. I thought I would be miserable, but now that's all I know! Those flavor drops seem great and the only alternative I know is squeezing lemon or lime. Or just do the crystal light and diet coke in moderation :) yum!
ReplyDeleteOooooo I need to get those drops for my DH. He is so addicted to Diet Coke. He also hates drinking plain water. I haven't had much luck finding something that is comparable.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI had a similar relationship to diet pepsi. I probably drank at least 3 cans/day (my office has a fridge stocked with soda galore which is NOT helpful). Somehow I switched to coffee and now I'm addicted to that, although, I have switched to decaf due to the trying (and trying, trying, trying) to get pregnant. Anyway, I still need those bubbles, though, and so I've recently become addicted to flavored seltzer water. I LOVE IT. It definitely is an acquired taste though, because when my husband tastes it, you'd think he just took a shot of straight vodka. Maybe give it a try though??
ReplyDeletePS - No idea why double comments have posted, but one shows as being deleted by me!!
I had been thinking of giving up diet coke for a while now and just recently realized that I managed to get down to just one day per week. We usually go to lunch after church and that's when I get it. Not bad! I wonder if giving yourself a once a week cheat day would help?
ReplyDeleteI second La Croix. The orange flavor is good, especially with a slice of citrus. Or maybe plain sparkling water with one of your drops in it?
I'm a total water girl, btw, and love adding a thin slice of cucumber to my glass. It makes a big difference!
I totally hear you. I am addicted to coffee and have switched to half-strength. It's not the same and the progesterone I'm on makes me VERY tired, but I simply cannot give it up completely. I agree with dspence, one cheat day would be good. You can't deprive yourself completely :)
ReplyDeleteI can't agree with you on the champagne - love that stuff. ;)
ReplyDeleteHave you tried adding the drops to club soda? Not sure how it would taste, but might give you the bubbly flavor you're going for!
I agree with Erika. I LOVE La Croix. And it's so cheap!
ReplyDeleteI like Cascade Ice and Sparkling Ice! Sweet, bubbly and 0 calories!
ReplyDeleteWe have a soda stream, which carbonates water so you can make your own soda, but I just use it to carbonate water. Then I mix the fizzy water with apple juice to make a *delicious* drink I discovered in Germany. It's the best. Maybe you can also get creative with fizzy water? Put your drops in it or mix it with some sort of juice?
ReplyDeleteI know you are giving up Diet Coke, but if you do splurge, I love Coke Zero or what I call "Mexican Coke", the Coke in bottles from Mexico that is made with cane sugar (I think of it as being more natural and therefore, not as bad for me). I drink Club Soda with lime when I want something effervescent!
ReplyDelete