Monday, February 2, 2015

I Said No

The last five years have really taught me the value of a dollar. I mean, ever since my parents' divorce I've been slowly learning this lesson, but getting married and plunging head first into grad school will give you a crash course really quickly. Sam and I lived comfortably, but we regularly said no to fun things that first year of marriage. We would hear about a party with friends or a night out for dinner and a movie with another couple and we would say to one another, "I don't know how they do it!" We were makings ends meet... no ramen noodles on our menu, but we were certainly learning to cut corners and the easiest corners to cut for us have always been entertainment and eating out.

And then, after that first 18 months of marriage, infertility treatments smashed like a freight train right into our lives. It seemed like I couldn't possibly cut the budget anymore. But as time went on, I just simply learned to do without. I never ordered Mary Kay makeup again. When it ran out, I went to Target and bought the cheapest thing I could find. My shampoo was whatever was on sale, plus a coupon. I learned to color my own hair if I wanted a color change. Dinner and a movie changed to Redbox and a five dollar pizza from Little Caesar. Slowly, I began to become a person who says "no" to all "extras." I would say my only real splurge at this time is Starbucks coffee... I'm an espresso drink fan and I literally work 50 feet from Starbucks, but for the most part, I stick to whatever we agree to reload to the card each month. 

My husband is not a fan of the "no" me. There have been so many times that he's wanted to go play golf, or go bowling, or go to dinner. While I'm certainly not the decision maker in this family, I have a way of shining a light on the budget. "Oh, how great babe, I didn't know you found an extra $70 on the ground last week... how perfect for your golf game," It's really an art form. 70% of the time, I successfully guilt lovingly suggest that we should once again skip this activity. The 30% of the time I fail to convince him, I'm really awesome at providing the silent treatment or playing the guilt game over his failure to commit to whatever we're saving for. "I'm so glad you enjoyed your breakfast with friends, love! That's really awesome that you got waffles and hashbrowns, foods you can make for a buck fifty, while our IVF savings account sits about half full"... I wish I could say that those words never came out of my mouth, but they have, more times than I'd like to admit.

Truly, I feel guilty about spending money on things we don't "need." Dinner with my husband just doesn't fall in the necessary column. I've been struggling the last few years to recognize the value in doing things together. Or with friends. The concept of date night is 100% foreign to me at this point. We haven't been to a movie together in over a year, and before that maybe two or more. The last time we went out for a nice dinner was for our anniversary almost two years ago, and that was because we had a gift card which covered 100% of the meal.

While I definitely see the benefits of being thrifty, living below our means, choosing to make sacrifices, etc. I can also say that there are certain losses with that type of life. The loss of friendship opportunities is certainly there. Say no to manicures and karaoke nights enough and eventually your friends will give up on you. I've been fortunate to have FANTASTIC friends who never give up on me, and regularly extend the offer, but I imagine I'm pretty much the lamest friend ever. The answer is always no.

I can also see how the long term presence of "no" within the marriage begins to take effect too. Once upon a time, we thought of little ways to surprise each other... even if it was totally lame like "hey babe, I bought you 64 ounces of diet coke" (swoon). So much of that kind of "I thought of you, so I..." and "I love you, so lets..." has died. Now I'm sure part of that is because hello, we've been married for almost 5 years. The honeymoon is o-ver. But our financial struggles with infertility and now adoption have certainly only added to the problem. so many well-meaning people over the years have suggested that I use this time to "be married." What they mean by that is celebrate our marriage and the good things we have with date nights and vacations and special things. I've literally been told to let Sam "lavish" me multiple times. I've yet to laugh or fire back at that comment but really, things are so far from lavish around here. And that's okay. I'm not looking at my husband thinking why "why haven't you planned a secret getaway?" We live this way because I want to, because I want more for us than date nights and vacations.

I've been thinking lately how much of this attitude has simply become who I am. I don't even think, "well, I'd love to, but..." I don't check the accounts for margin. It takes me less than two seconds to answer because the answer is always no. I sometimes think that once we complete this adoption, I'll loosen up and live a little more. But the honest truth is, I probably won't. At least not willingly. I'll have diapers and formula and daycare to add to the budget. And I'll have those four embryos in Florida to worry about. I can think of 10,000 excuses to stay exactly as I am. But I also think about the child we're hoping to bring home, the one we've waited for for so long. And I wonder if this is the kind of mother I want to be. I'm not talking about blowing the budget, going into debt, that sort of thing... I know that's not the lifestyle I want to live. But do I want to be a mom who feels guilty about spending gas money to drive my kid to the park? I see moms who enroll their kids in swim class and music lessons and gymnastics and all that kind of stuff and I wonder, if we ever get there, to that point in life, will I recognize those expenses for what they are or will I just say no? Has the need to constantly save altered who I am down to my very core so that all if know how to do is say no? Will I ever learn to say yes again?

16 comments:

  1. My husband and I did the Financial Peace University course and have been using the zero sum budget to plan for all financial things. He's somebody who aims at meeting a financial goal at all cause. When we set our goal for IVF and DEIVF, he would tell me that whatever money we have left each month should all go into that goal. Sometimes I get a little upset about it because it's tough to put every single dollar into making a baby and it sometimes feels like that's our only purpose in life. And he sometimes gets upset that I don't have the kind of passion to save up as he does. Eventually we compromised and agreed to set aside money for a bit of entertainment each month. I think I am happier. And he's happier as well. Saving up money for treatment and adoption is so tough though. I too wonder how you will feel about expenses in the future when you have a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Isabelle above, we also always included a small-to-tiny entertainment/eating out line in the budget, even in our most aggressive money-saving seasons. I think it helped keep me sane. But I CAN report that most likely once you are post-adoption, you WILL feel a little freer to spend money like a normal person. :) For me, it was just a huge realization when writing our 2015 budget that like...WE DON'T HAVE TO SAVE 40% OF OUR INCOME!!!! That's excessive!! I mean, it served its purpose, but now we don't HAVE to save every imaginable penny for adoptions and surgeries of unknown cost...we can actually use that money to live on and only save a normal portion of our income. :) It's amazing, I feel totally rich, ha!! (Except all that money I used to be saving now just goes straight to daycare. But oh well. Money better spent, in my opinion!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get this! It's a fine line between wanting to save up for the dream of being parents to not doing a single thing to enjoy each other and life in general while you save. So hard...ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly think once ur post adoption u will feel a little better about spending money for ur child. Its for a good cause as people like to put it. Don't be so hard on urself u are willing to sacrifice so much to reached ur dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you will learn, but I am proud of you for learning to say "yes" to things even if it may not be the ideal situation. I am proud of you for coming to mani/pedi time when you knew you were going to forgoe the actual mani/pedi - that 45 minutes of girl time still meant a lot to your friends. :)

    I do pray the Lord just multiples your hard work and provides for this adoption so you CAN start feeling the freedom to say yes.. even in tiny baby steps. I can only imagine how hard this is and how long you have been at it - but like we talk about one day you will be a mother.. and that perspective is important to keep. I know the struggle of thinking do I focus everything I have on getting to the next season/goal? How do I straddle the line between hoping and planning for the future but appreciating and living the moments I have now (because ultimately our hope/happiness doesn't lie having babies or a dream house)? I don't know, but I think even you doing this post is an acknowledgement of where you are at which is the first part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, this is me to a T too. Part of it is I have a difficult time spending money on myself. It seems so frivolous. But you're also right that sometimes we need to do those frivolous things. We need to create opportunities to bond.

    One thing I have been trying to do is substitute. Instead of saying "no thanks," I've been trying the "sure, that sounds awesome! but can we try this?" option. For example: pedicures at the spa have become girls night in with Netflix and home pedicures. Couples date nights have been us asking friends over to cook a meal together. Activities like hiking or biking have replaced bowling or golfing. Libraries are now my favorite place and trivia nights were also fun (2 beer limit) with others. The short of it is taking baby-steps. And who knows: you may convert some of your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you'll learn to say yes again, especially when it's for your baby!! Things for you- maybe you'll still say no- but you'll say no so you can say yes to your littlest (biggest!) love :). Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you will say yes once you have your baby/s and your family is complete. It is so hard to balance between how much to spend or not to spend. It can be hard, and I completely relate to saying no to friends and it can sometimes be hard to keep and maintain those relationships. My husband is the opposite of me and since we have spent so much over the years on infertility, I have become much more relaxed (which I don't know if that is good). Oh well! :) I'm sure you are just taking steps to be in a better position to say yes to those things with your family in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're that couple that feels guilty for going out and spending the extra money on food and movies too, but over the last three years of marriage, we've also realized that we "need" those nights out for the sake of our relationship and our sanity. We don't go out often because we can't afford to but we make a point to try and do it once a month because we enjoy that time together. There's just something enjoyable about a nice night out where you don't have to worry about cooking dinner, cleaning up, etc. I've been down that road though where you knit pick at what each other is using the money to buy, and every time I can justify my expensive Starbucks coffees lol. A Starbucks coffee for me is a reward for a job well done at the end of a long work week. "Life's short, buy the coffee".

    http://ellelynne.blogspot.com
    http://the--arnolds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! Once we brought home DS I started spending money more freely. It was if I said, "A BABY! I've been WANTING to spend money on you for forever!" And I did. Also, you are WAY better than we are about specifically saving for IVF or adoption, while I feel like if we had to spend money on something we just have and it has come out of savings.
    I was actually just thinking today about how I still have 3 part-time jobs out of necessity and how one day (ha! when will that be?) when we're doing building our family (we want 4 kids if at all possible), how we will actually have money to enjoy regularly and that I might even be able to just ONE part-time job. Honestly, fertile people have NO idea how good they have it in terms of finances!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops... "DONE" building our family

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I totally relate- especially about the hubby's golf thing! Also, my husband has a weekly Bible study that meets at a restaurant for breakfast. "Gee, babe, maybe you could order just an egg or two instead of spending $15 EVERY TUESDAY while I eat oatmeal again to save." (I'm not bitter... lol). Anyways, we did the Dave Ramsey FPU thing, too, and while we're not hard-core, we have adopted the idea of "fun money." Each week we pull out an agreed-upon amount (in cash) and each of us can spend our fun money as we like. My husband's is usually gone before the day is over and I have 3 week's worth in my wallet! LOL. But it does help with the guilt thing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep playing the lottery. When I win (wink wink) I will cut you in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to encourage you to not stop dating your husband or doing things with your friends completely. Even if that date or outing is something inexpensive only once a month, or every two or three, it may be something to look forward to, to replenish your soul and reward you for all of the hard work you have been doing getting ready for adoption. I personally always love having something positive and fun to focus on in the future, even if it's a long way away. I just like thinking about it. Sometimes the anticipation of something good is as good as the event itself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Aubrey! You'll probably feel differently when you have to say no to that sweet little face. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. whew girl! This is such a good, thought provoking post. My hubby took over our budget in January because I am the "yes" kinda gal...and for that, we don't have much in savings (we have our six month emergency fund but not too much more). But he did add an "entertainment" category and once that money is gone, then it's gone. So while I am able to say "yes", I also have to say "no" when it runs out.

    waitingforbabybird.com

    ReplyDelete