Monday, February 23, 2015

And Then There Were Two

I'm alive, though you wouldn't know it from the blog these days. It has been a busy season. I think of the blog every few days and think, "oh it's okay, I posted a few days ago, only to check and see that no, it was a week ago two weeks ago." And now it's been three weeks.

Let's see, in the last three weeks, I accepted a new position, put in my two week notice, left my old job, started a new job, signed up for private insurance, received my rocker for the nursery (eek), bought a crib and dresser (double eek), finalized plans for the nursery (who is this person?), and well, I think that about covers it. Oh wait, no. I applied for two new adoption cases. The first didn't go far because the expectant mother never showed up to review profiles. But the second, be still my heart. The second has brought us as far as we've ever been. Drum roll please…

We're one of TWO!!!

The expectant mom has selected us and one other couple to interview before making her final decision. For now, our interview is set for Tuesday evening, but it very easily could get bumped to Wednesday. There are quite a number of parties involved in the interview, so I'm trying to be as flexible and accommodating as possible. We've submitted questions for the her and we're awaiting the questions that she plans to ask us. That's basically it… just waiting.

I'm teetering on the edge between, "this can't possibly work because things like this never work out for me" and "oh, have mercy, I could be a MOM in less than 6 weeks!" I'm honestly pretty terrified that we won't present ourselves well. Sam is NOT a talker, and on the phone… umm, no. I, by nature lead conversations. In consults with the doctor, Sam typically asked one question, maybe two if he was feeling particularly chatty. And I came across as highly organized, extreme type-A personality who needed answers to all life's questions… which is basically true, but not exactly the side I want to shine through tomorrow. The advice I've gotten is to personable, show emotion, and connect. Three things that I am NOT good at doing, particularly when I'm meeting someone, and even more so when I'm nervous. I just really needed the profile book to carry me through the match process. I did not want the decision to come down to my ability to shine in a phone call.

But I really have to give this expectant mom credit. She is taking this so seriously, and I really commend her for it. Her words to the agency last friday were this: "I can only do this one thing for my son. I want to do it really well." Gah, that just breaks my heart and makes me love her at the same time. She reviewed several profiles, but just couldn't decide between us and one other, so she's interviewing both over the phone before she decides. After that, she wants to meet the couple she selects before the birth. See? She's 110% in this, serious, devoted, committed. I really admire her and everything I've heard about her from the agency is just so impressive.

The few people that we've already told have asked about the other couple. I have zero information on the couple other than that must be within 6-7 hours of the expectant mom as that was her one stipulation on the original profiles. People joke that they are surely hideous, or some other undesirable characteristic that will make us the automatic winner. But the truth is that they are probably a lot like us. I've read through about 50 prospective adoptive parent profiles during this journey. If you remove the singles and homosexual couples, you're left with a very similar group. I'd say about 80% of the heterosexual couples are seeking domestic adoption due to infertility in some form or another. Our stories, when written in a brief paragraph, all read about the same. Judging by this woman's interest in us, the other couple is probably a lot like us: mid to late twenties or early thirties, married three to ten years, no children, struggling to conceive or dealing with reoccurring pregnancy loss. We're probably a lot more alike than we are different. She's probably obsessing over her questions and worrying the nights away about what to say (and not to say) in the phone call. They're probably looking at the calendar in amazement and cautiously hoping that life changes forever in the next few weeks. It's a competition of sorts because there will only be one "winner," but it feels a lot like competing against one of my sisters. I know this woman's pain. I've lived her darkest moments. I know intimately how badly she wants this.

So friends, that's where we are. Ever so cautiously waiting and trying desperately to guard our hearts. One of two is a heck of a lot further than we've been before, but I am not a betting woman, and 50% odds have never sounded good to me. The good news is that as always, there will be an end to this waiting and hoping and guessing. Both couples will interview with the expectant mom early this week, so I'm hopeful that we'll know one way or another by the end of this week.

If you're the sort to pray, we're currently scheduled for our call at 7pm tomorrow. I'd really appreciate prayers for Sam and I. I want to walk away from the phone call saying that we did well. That we presented ourselves earnestly and honestly and that we loved and respected this woman. Pray for my heart, that I can show emotion on this call, yet keep myself grounded and guarded this week as we wait. And pray for this woman and her son. This is one of those "I want to want what You want, Father" kind of situations for me. Ultimately, we want what is best for the baby. If that's us, SUPER, but if not, that's okay too.

Update: The interview is Tuesday at 7:30.


34 comments:

  1. Amanda I have never posted just read but tomorrow at 7 I will be praying hard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be praying for you Amanda!!!! I am so happy for you and Sam and pray that this is exactly what's meant to be :-) My hubby and I are the opposite, he is the talker in unfamiliar situations so I am certainly nervous for you guys...eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will say a prayer at 6:59 tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is a huge update! So many changes! Congrats on your new job and so so so exciting!!! Praying for y'all this week and trusting the Lord already knows the babies he has lined up for you - hoping this is it!!! Praying protection over your heart either way <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just so in love with the way you've been able to talk about the birth mother and the other couple in this equation. I know how badly you want this, but being able to show empathy for what they are going through proves to me that you're more than deserving than this. I really am hoping for the very best outcome. Sending love, prayers, and all those good things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will be praying so hard for you! Prayers that the phone call goes well, prayers that this woman loves you like everyone else does, prayers that God blesses you will this little man. Prayers that no matter what happens, you know you are going to be wonderful parents and you have a team of prayer warriors behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obviously I'm biased but it just HAS to be you guys! I know you worry about how you'll come across but you are one of the most genuine people I know. Speak from your heart, just like you write, and she's going to fall in love with you just how this entire community has. You know my thoughts and prayers are circling around you constantly. I hope you and Sam can feel the outpouring of love and support and gain comfort and confidence from it. And I'll repeat your selfless prayer for the best for this baby boy because I know in my heart it is you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am praying!!!! Such exciting news and possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got every prayer that I've got to give coming your way! I don't even worry about you presenting yourself well cause I know you. You do that with grace and eloquence every day. This week...could be it! How amazing is that! Love you my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending you lots and lots of prayers for a successful phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh friend!!! My heart is bursting with love for you and Sam! You go and be you because YOU are wonderful! If this little boy is your son (EEKK!!) then she will choose you. Sending lots of prayers and love! Fingers, toes, hair, legs... Everything crossed!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Amanda, I am long time reader but have never commented before and this is as good a time as any to come out of lurkdom! Many, many, MANY prayers will be headed your way tomorrow!!!! Good luck and God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, this is exciting and terrifying at the same time. I will be praying my little heart out for you tomorrow evening! One thing I always pray when having a crucial conversation (although nothing nearly as crucial as this!) for the Holy Spirit to just take over my tongue...that my words would be His words and nothing else. That way, you know in the end, regardless of the outcome, that God's will was done. So funny that Sam isn't a talker, you described myself and my husband perfectly. I'm always leading conversations (keeping this in mind as I head to a doctor appt. today haha!). Oh, and yay for the new job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely praying praying praying! Love your heart, love your perspective. Hugs! (Congrats on the new position!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting! I'll be thinking of you. Just be yourself, because you are amazing. And it's OK if you're more of a talker than Sam. I'd encourage him to speak up a few times though, just because I'm sure she wants to know both of you... but I'd just go ahead & let her know he's generally more of the quiet type. Nothing wrong with that-- just be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OHHHHH Amanda!!! My heart just skipped a beat. I will pray. How exciting!! PLEASE keep us posted!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of my positive thoughts and prayers will be directed your way tomorrow! I've been following you for a long time, you are a great writer and so very genuine - surely she will see what so many others see every day in your words!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WHOA!! Just said a prayer for God's will to be done in your lives. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness!!! I love your perspective. My advice: not that you are asking for it is to just be you. Being true to yourself is the only way to walk away from this regardless of the outcome and have no regrets. You're going to be an amazing mom! And I don't know if this is off limits but can you offer to let her read some of your blog posts. You share so much about your heart and soul...I don't know how she could pass on yall after reading it. Hugs! Everything crossed for you. Tomorrow is a big day for both of us...I could use your prayers too. Updating post within the hour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thinking or you and sending you lots of positive vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thinking or you and sending you lots of positive vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Amanda, I got tears in my eyes reading this! I was a giant ball of nerves just reading about the upcoming interview, so I can only imagine how you must feel. I know you will be the most amazing mother, and I am so hopeful that this will be it. I will be praying for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So many prayers for tomorrow! So excited for this opportunity for you and Sam! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my sweet friend, I am praying so many prayers for you and Sam. I can't imagine your angst for 7pm to get here. Know I will be thinking of you!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow! What an update! Congrats on the new job and congrats on being in the "final two!" This is such an exciting time for you and I'm praying that everything will go so smoothly and you will have so much peace as you go forward. Hugs to you my friend!

    waitingforbabybird.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Truly excited for you. And love your humility and empathy for the birth mom and the other couple. Will be praying and thinking of you today for your interview.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Prayers going up! Never met you but I used to work with Genie. Following your story with lots of love and care!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Amanada -- I am praying that you have a sense of calm and peace as you speak with the birth mother. I will be in prayer at 7:30 and know that God has good plans for you and Sam and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow. Thinking of you and Sam and that baby and mother.

    ReplyDelete
  30. How exciting! And nerve racking too.

    What a great compliment that the birth mother is so cautious and calculated in her plan for her baby that she chose you guys in her top two.

    Having been through a similar meeting recently, my advice to you would be to take her lead, or the faciliator's lead. If you are nervous, it's okay to say that too. It shows you are human too and that this is important to you.

    Sending you so many good vibes!

    ReplyDelete