Tuesday, June 17, 2014

THAT Person

I've often wondered why infertility is a part of my life. When you've tried for three plus years to get pregnant, you have a lot of time to muse. At various times I've wondered about EVERY possibility: population control, a test of faith, a lesson in patience, to prevent some future catastrophe... the brain can go WILD with the options and all that time to wonder. Lately, I've wondered if I'm slated to be that friend... you know the one you go to when X happens. For me, the X, is pregnancy loss or infertility diagnosis.

Hannah's story in the Bible has often been a place of refuge for me in the past few years. I feel like I can really understand her story in ways that I can't really grasp Ruth's or Mary's, you know? First of all, she was so distraught over her situation she wept... I definitely get that. There has been much weeping in the last few years. Secondly, people thought she was crazy (like drunk crazy) and didn't understand her sorrow. I've certainly had conversations and questions over the years which have further proven to me that until you've walked this road, you'll never understand. I get what it feels like to be misunderstood. I get what it feels like when people point out all the other blessings in your life and tell you to be happy (while holding their third child). I understand Hannh's sorrow and her pain. I haven't felt her joy yet, but I imagine my prayer of thanksgiving would be similar.

There's one part of Hannah's story that always gets me... "the Lord had closed her womb." I've often wondered if that's simply Old Testament code for infertile or if it's more literal. Did the Lord literally, intentionally, and specifically close Hannah's womb? Was she a lovely, happy, fertile woman, able to pop out 6-10 babies in her lifetime except for the small detail that the Lord said "no". You can see why this would bug me, I'm sure. I've often wondered why in the world the Lord would prevent Hannah from having a child for so long. Obviously there was a plan, but the details and rationale aren't really spelled out in the text. I find myself pretty peeved about the situation on Hannah's behalf. Now sure, the argument could be made that Samuel had to come along at that exact moment for the plan to come to fruition, but arguments like that just rub me the wrong way sometimes. God is God, and He's all powerful... it could have been both. Hannah could have been fertile, happy, AND have had Samuel at that exact moment in time. 

So why give Hannah a small, but powerful role in the story? Why give a minor character, a woman no less, a voice in the Old Testament? I like to think that the Lord knew that thousands of years later, other women with crappy wombs and broken eggs would take comfort in her story. I wonder if Hannah, even within her lifetime, became that go to person. When women from neighboring areas struggled to conceive, did they turn to Hannah for hope, for empathy, for a friend?

I certainly don't think this is the only reason for my infertility or my miscarraiges, and I'm not equating myself with Hannah, but I'm starting to wonder if infertility is a part of my life so that I can be that person for others. You see, when miscarriages occur, people think of me. It doesn't matter if we're related, best friends, old friends, or haven't spoken in 10 years, people reach out looking for advice, for hope, for a shoulder to cry on, for someone who understands. When people get the dreaded "infertile" diagnosis, they come to me. They want help, they want the secret to not murdering their peppy, optimistic husbands, they want advice on dealing with the annoying questions. I'm that person when this type of thing happens.

In a lot of ways, it's an honor. An honor that people would turn to me, an honor that they think of me, and honor that they trust me. It's also a burden, one that I gladly bear, but a burden none the less. As you might imagine, the circles that I'm a member of deal with pregnancy loss more than "normal". But I often feel like a bad luck charm, like women around me are destined to lose their children. On any given day, someone is blogging about the loss of a pregnancy. That's tough. Some days it feels like we're all destined to stay here, in this pit forever. Some days it feels like all of our babies will die. Add in the real life friends who turn to me in these moments and some days, it's overwhelming... some days I feel like I eat, breathe, and sleep pregnancy loss. It's my whole world. Some days, my only thought upon waking up is that I hope no one's baby dies today... literally. Last week I had four different friends in the process of losing a pregnancy. Between real life and the blog world, some days it feels like a miracle if I make it through a week without terrible news. Some days I'm just walking in a perpetual state of sadness, of mourning, of sorrow so far down deep in my soul for the loss that surrounds me.

Last week started off with the news from Suzanne that her FET transfer had failed. I can't explain the sadness I felt with this one. I was prepared for the news. Suzanne had faithfully updated me throughout her two week wait. I knew the chances were slim as she was testing daily, but sometimes, it's the friend's job to hold on to hope because you can't hope for yourself any longer. I've been there. I get that, so I was holding onto hope. My heart broke when she confirmed the negative beta. Anger and frustration at the Lord rose up while tears fell down my face as I stood in my kitchen questioning The Plan and His ways. The week before had been filled with similarly terrible news. Twenty five year-old women shouldn't lose their first pregnancy. I know because it happened to me. It feels wrong every time it happens, and this one was particularly hard. When my precious friend shared her news with me, the memories came rushing back... the joy at that (deceitful) little stick of good news, the confusion over the beta numbers, the fear, the sadness, the mourning. 

Sometimes the sadness is deep. There's my own sadness, which in and of itself is enough to swallow me up some days. And then there's the burden of mutual sorrow, of bearing up alongside of a friend, or carrying a little piece of their pain... the burden of abiding with that person through the valley. When your world is filled with infertility and pregnancy loss, it can feel like you simply live in the valley awaiting the next person to need you. But maybe this is the reason, or at least a part of it. Maybe I'm where I am, maybe I've experienced what I have so that I can have empathy rather than sympathy. Maybe infertility and pregnancy loss are a part of my story so that I can say, "I've been there".

Unfortunately, I'm not great at offering support, particularly for first time pregnancy loss. Not because I don't care, but because it's hard to put myself in her shoes... my own shoes have traveled a lot farther and it's nearly impossible to unwalk those miles. My first loss was almost three years ago... time and infertility have changed me. And while the emotions are still there, it's hard for me to put myself back there in Augusta, Ga at the age of 25 when that precious digital test read "pregnant" and I believed everything was right with the world. It's hard to remember a time when I didn't know what I know now. It's hard to remember that I was hysterical over the loss. It's hard to remember that my falling hCG numbers still didn't indicate a miscarriage to me. I was waiting on a miracle. It's hard to remember that thoughts like "just stitch my cervix closed so it can't come out" circled through my head even while the blood spilled out. It's hard to remove the knowledge that I now have, the experience that I now have, the protective shell that I've developed since then. The world I live in is FULL of pregnancy loss. Filled to the absolute brim and spilling over. It's hard to remember a time when I felt like the only person in the world who had suffered like this. I'm sure my friends occasionally need less head knowledge and more heart. Less statistics and more stories. I'm sure they often just want someone to cry with them. I could do that; I really could. But here's the thing, if I start, I may never stop. Because the tears I cry aren't just for her baby, but for my babies, and for all of my friends' babies... and that's a lot of tears. 

But like I said, maybe this is my role, maybe this is my purpose. If so, I'm thankful to at least have a purpose. If I could wave a magic wand and end pregnancy loss all together, believe me I would. If I could end all of that pain for you and for me, I would do it in a heartbeat. But since I can't, since my magic wand is broken, all I can say is that I'm here. If you've never lost a pregnancy, I pray your day never comes. I pray you're one of the lucky ones, but if it does, I'll be here. If the horrendous diagnosis of infertility is ever whispered your direction, I'm here. I've been through both. It's an honor and a privilege to stand alongside of you in your darkest moment. This is part of the reason I'm thankful that I'm public with my story, so that other women never think they are alone in their pain. I think many of my infertility and repeat pregnancy loss sisters would agree: the pain is unfathomable, the fear is overwhelming, the sadness is all encompassing, but a friend, someone to understand and say "I've been there" can make all the difference. So if it ever happens, don't suffer alone. Find that person in your life.

17 comments:

  1. Such a selfless thing to be there for so many as they go through infertility and pregnancy loss. I think many people feel a similar calling after having gone through those things, but everyone handles it differently. The fact that you don't hide from it when people come knocking, despite the fact it can sometimes feel like a burden...well, it just shows your selfless character. You are amazing Amanda! God is going to pay you back double the blessings for all of the heartache you've gone through yourself, as well as the sacrifices you make for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sweet that God can uses our biggest tests and turn them into a testimony. Why I don't believe helping others is WHY you are going through it, I do believe that if we let Him, He uses our stories for His (and our) good, to glorify Him, to share and encourage others, and so many other things!! I know He wants life life life - babies babies babies - all around!! He created it. He desires it. But, I'm glad when it's a different road then what we planned that there is still good that comes out of it!!! Thanks for shining for the kingdom friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, this is a lovely post. Can I confess something? For some people, I've been able to be very supportive about infertility diagnosis, losses, etc. but for others I have totally failed as a friend and felt like people should not be complaining to me, of all people, about what they are going through when, in my eyes, it pales in comparison to my situation. I *hate* that I feel this way - it isn't the kind of person that I want to be, but sometimes it is so hard to do and say the right thing and be the kind of person I strive to be. Anyway... your post got me thinking.... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I think this post is a reflection of what so many of us have thought. I know that there's purpose IN infertility (such as helping and comforting others), but I'm not sure if that's THE purpose. (I hope that makes sense). I guess I've just come to accept that I'll never fully understand the reasons for my infertility, or why God allows it for so many of us, until we reach heaven. Some days that's a very small consolation, but I hold on to anything I can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story of Hannah is one that so many in this community can relate with. After all, why would a loving God inflict such a cruel fate onto anyone? For some, the message is to have faith as there is a plan. But my take is more of a lesson that we can overcome life trauma if we chose to believe there will be a happy ending. It very likely won't be the way we wanted, but it can be.

    I also find myself struggling to support those who suffer from losses that I also see as minor. After all, we know so much more after being on this journey for so long. What helps me is remembering that pain is pain. And most of the time, simply acknowledging that pain is enough as it allows the person suffering to know there are not alone in their grief. Still, I get where you're coming from.

    Thank you for being THAT person. It's a hard road, but may it be a fulfilling one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautifully thought out and written. The women who have looked to you for support and understanding in the past - and those that will do so in the future - are lucky to have you in their lives.

    I know that I struggle to hobble together the pieces of my identity that aren't wrapped up in infertility and pregnancy loss after so much time in the trenches. I hope, on the days that it feels right, that you are able to do the same and protect that parts of yourself that are dear to you while you lean on others for support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately, someone has to do the job being THAT person and luckily you are a strong woman and can support others in your own way! You keep it real and you still hurt - making your more relatable I suppose? Even having beat infertility it still stings, it still hurts, just in a new way. It will always be a part of us, making us THOSE people. But it makes us special and gives our lives soo much more meaning.
    Keep your chin up darling, I am still rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have written and shared such a wonderful post, my friend. I am always thinking of you and am praying for you for the perfect outcome to end your journey with IF. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for the palpable pain of this post. For your loss and so many others. I can't really relate to the "loss" in traditional sense because I've never made it to a transfer, never made it to a positive pregnancy test....so I've never gotten my hopes up to that extreme. But I do hope that one way or another we all become mothers. I think of all the bloggers out there and people I've known over the past 5 years who are now moms. Also I've been in this place longer than most...I sometimes think of all those who've passed me up into motherhood and can't help believe that we all night make it someday. It might just longer...sometimes much longer than we'd like. And we might have to get there a different way than we'd initially hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can hear the sincerity in your words. You are truly a selfless person. I've never been shy to be open about our journey but I also don't put it out there as much. Once experiencing a loss I think that fear and the roller coaster emotions that come with it are always going to linger around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think one of your purposes is to write about things like this. You always write such beautiful posts. So well thought out and perfectly worded. You are a wonderful friend and support to people in need of just that, and that's huge. It's sometimes hard to touch the hearts of people so desperately sad, and I think you have that gift.
    I know you've had such a hard journey in regards to having a baby, but I know you'll be a mother someday. Always hoping for you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post, I think as much as it has hurt, the Lord has put you in a position where you have unbelievable empathy to those who are having the same struggles you have had. As much as these struggles hurt, I can't believe the community of people I have met in this infertile world. I hope you'll be on the other side of things soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post makes me sad but you are a blessing in being there for so many others that are going through such heartache. I am so so grateful for women who truly get it. It would be that much harder to go through this with no one understanding… there are already plenty who will never get it, so we especially need the ones that do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are THAT person. You're that selfless, loving, kind friend that even when you have your own pain and your own struggles, always has the best and most encouraging things to say to me (and to so many others). You mean the world to me. Love you so much. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What would all of us do without you!? Just please remember that we want to be THAT person for you as well!! You are so loved, so appreciated. Your ability to look at situations clearly, your vast knowledge that you share so openly with all of us, and your huge heart and empathy are such amazing gifts. I hope you always remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are such a lovely and strong person. I'm glad for all those other people in your life that they have you to lean on, even though I hate for you that you have to go through this. And I hope that, someday soon, you will be one of the "success after many years of trying" stories that can encourage others to keep trying, to educate themselves about biology and protocols and "alternative ways" of building their family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This makes me sad for you and all of us but it shows just how selfless you are. I know you have been such a huge help to me so I can only imagine how helpful and supportive you are to anyone you come in contact with. I know this isn't how you saw your family building process going but I just know you WILL have that family one day! You are always in my prayers Amanda hugs!

    ReplyDelete