Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Are You There God? It's Me, Amanda.

Judy Blume has become a fixture in American households because of her book Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. Sure, it's a book about an adolescent girl dealing with puberty, but it's also the story of a young woman learning how to talk with God... even trying to figure out who God is... and maybe most importantly, if He's listening. I think girl, boy, 10, 25, 50, or 90 we can all relate to that. Is there a God? And if there is, does He care about us? Does He hear when we pray?

I've admitted before that infertility has, at times, dealt my faith a blow or two. Not so much that I doubt the existence of God. No, I fully believe in God. My struggles have most often centered around prayer. I've obviously prayed and prayed for a child, for a miraculous natural conception, for a successful treatment... I've prayed for a child in every way I can think of. When you've prayed for one thing for so long, I think it's only natural to wonder if you're doing it right. I will certainly admit that I've questioned prayer and its role in my relationship with the Lord. I've wondered things like: Is He ignoring my requests? Denying my requests? Can prayer change His mind? Should I want to change the mind of God? Does praying change anything (other than me)?

I think just about everyone has prayed for something at one time or another and failed to see or hear a response. This is certainly not specific to infertility... these questions and musings were floating around in my head long before I'd ever heard the word Clomid. But I guess infertility, for me, has been the first thing that I've continuously prayed over for months upon months upon months, and yet all I hear is stone cold silence. After all this time, I've begun to preface every prayer with, "You already know this, but..." or "I've already asked for this, but..." or "You're going to do what you want anyway, but..." It feels as if the words have all been said in every way that they can be said, and yet, here I sit. Is He listening? Does my opinion matter? Will anything I say change His plans?

And it's certainly not just prayers for myself. It's prayers for others too. I cried and begged and fell on my knees when I heard about Suzanne's miracle last summer. I bargained and pleaded and begged, but Suzanne still lost that miracle. And Holly, oh Holly. We all cried out with a giant shout, "SAVE THEM!" We knew it was unlikely and we didn't care. As a community, we prayed for something to be done, but Jude and Brinly both entered Heaven despite our requests.  At the end of circumstances like that, when prayers go unanswered, I think it's only natural to wonder if prayer is actually making any difference. Are we just wasting our words?

And what about cancer, and disease, and death? I think most people would say that cancer or some other terrible disease has affected someone they love. There's been someone that we asked for the Lord to spare. There's been a family member or a friend that we begged God to give more time. We've all tried to bargain with God. When that person is healed, when we hear that coveted "cured" or "cancer free," we swear that God is good and that prayer works. But when things go differently, when little boys die from brain tumors, when our mothers die from breast cancer, when we sit night after night by the bed of a loved one, it can seem as if God is intentionally ignoring us. What harm could come from sparing a child's life? Why would He not want to perform a miracle?

It should be really apparent from the above, that I don't have the answers.... not by a long shot. I've read scriptures and at one time or another tried just about every approach. I've gone the way of Jacob: I've prayed, and cried, and wailed and told God that I'm not moving, I'm not letting go until He's blessed me. I've mirrored the prayers of Jesus: I've asked the Lord to change His mind, but ultimately agreed that His ways are higher than mine. I've asked for more faith… admitting that I am week and my faith is insufficient. In opposition, I've declared that I at least have faith as small as a mustard seed... claiming the power to move mountains. I've said it all in every way that it can be said.

I guess you could sum up my current thoughts on prayer like this:
He is God and I am not. I can ask, but I've asked before, so I'll probably get the same answer (or lack of answer). And that's okay, because He is God and I am not. It doesn't detract from His goodness or His power. It simply means that He's not a genie. I don't have to agree with it or understand it because I do believe that His ways are not my ways (obviously) and that His ultimate goal is to shine a great big spotlight on Himself… that doesn't make Him a jerk or a narcissist. It's His right as God. 
Okay, so I do think that most of that is true, but what about all the verses like "Pray without ceasing" (1 Thess 5:17) or "let your requests be made known to God" (Phil 4:6)? The Bible is full of exhortations to pray. I can't deny that at all. Why would God demand that I pray, particularly if He's going to continue doing whatever it is He's doing no matter what? I had too many questions, so I started reading a book, Prayer: Does it Make a Difference? several months ago. I've enjoyed it (despite being a slow read) because the author, Philip Yancey, comes right out of the gate and says prayer has been a stumbling block in his own faith for years... if you can admit that within the Christian community, especially as a writer and speaker, then you're my kind of guy. I haven't finished the book yet, but I wanted to share some of the things I've learned or bits that helped clarify things for me.

Pray for others: Jesus spent little time praying for himself, rather His prayers centered around the people he encountered.

Prayer has changed the actions of God: Yancey says that there are four separate times in the Old Testament that prayer changed God's actions.

Prayer + Action: Prayer does not negate the need for action. Jesus spent long hours in prayer AND long hours meeting human needs. Likewise, praying doesn't remove our burden to act.

Unanswered Prayers: Jesus, though fully God, experienced the human aspect of prayer… He too had unanswered prayers.

Expectations of Prayer: Prayer is like sex: both are intimate and over-glamorized relationships. We are led to believe that we should be in the stratosphere in sex and in prayer, but in reality most people are unsatisfied with both.

Despite reading this book, I still don't have it all figured out... not by a long shot. I'm still wrestling. If "God works for the good of those who love him," then I'm still trying to understand how a child isn't good for us. I'm still working through my feelings. I'm still trying to find a way forward even if my prayers are never answered. My prayer life has a ways to go for sure. I still find myself saying "are you there God? It's me, and I need you." But the following excerpt from the book is something that struck me while reading and that I continue to cling to. I hope it gives you peace and hope in your prayers as well.

Even when we do not know what we ought to pray for, or how to pray, that Spirit intercedes for us: 'And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will'. Christ's Spirit is praying within us even when we lack both the wisdom and the words for prayer. Although we may not know God's will on a given issue, the Spirit within us surely does. In other words, our most immature prayers have an inbuilt self-corrective. Though we feel ignorant in our prayers, the Spirit does not. Though we feel exhausted and confused the Spirit does not. Though we feel lacking in faith, the Spirit does not. God is not so far off that we need to raise our voices to be heard. We need only groan.

Likewise, I was recently reminded that God is at work despite my lack of faith. Though I am struggling with prayer, others around me are not, and they are interceding on my behalf. When I am weak, The Lord is orchestrating strength in my life. Not only does the Holy Spirit groan with me, but others speak the words when I cannot... that is a beautiful thing, my friends. To those of you who have lifted Sam and I in prayer over the years, thank you for standing in the gap.

16 comments:

  1. Love this. Not shockingly, I totally agree with and share all of those feelings. But also I've never heard the comparison between prayer and sex and that is HILARIOUS and amazing, so thanks for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book by Yancey. I can't believe I didn't remember the comparison between prayer and sex, because like Erika said above, that is hilarious and amazing! Also, you're amazing for writing such an honest post. I struggle with this, too. I have a hard time praying aloud in general, but now it's especially a struggle with infertility stuff. My prayers lately usually consist of single words and phrases here and there: "Please..." "Seriously?!" "Come on!" "Let my will be your will." That's about as good as it gets. And I'm becoming more and more okay with that- especially when praying about fertility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post. And I think no matter how faithful of a person you are, you pray during infertility- for so much and for ANYTHING to lead you to your baby. I think anyone who has been there feels like their prayers are unanswered, ignored or are being avoided... While I know that's not true- it's hard to understand what God is doing with your prayers... This is something I thought a lot about then and that I still think about now. Like, why? Why did God need me to go to CO to get my miracles? Why did it have to take years? Was he listening? These questions kill me- I hate that I even ask them... Ok now I'm rambling but I just want to say that I understand and love you, friend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. This might be my favorite post of yours Amanda! Prayer is such an interesting thing. Like you, I've come at it from every angle imaginable. I've prayed with such belief that I KNEW for sure I was going to get pregnant. I've prayed with such humility and submission, that I felt like Jesus in the garden asking for this cup to pass me by. In the end, I think what God cares about most is that we just pray. That we pray to draw closer to Him. I've always liked this quote about prayer:

    "Prayer is surrender – surrender to the will of God and
    cooperation with that will. If I throw out a boathook from the
    boat and catch hold of the shore and pull, do I pull the shore to
    me, or do I pull myself to the shore? Prayer is not pulling God
    to my will, but the aligning of my will to the will of God."-Eli Stanley Jones

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I'll add one thing from my own IF-prayer journey and study of Genesis.

    In Genesis 18:16-33, Abraham pleads with God for Sodom. In these verses, Abraham appears to be negotiating with The Lord, saying "if this many faithful people are found, will you spare the city?" The interesting thing is that The Lord already knew how many faithful people were in Sodom as He was answering Abraham. During this "negotiation" The Lord was actually bringing Abraham into alignment with His plan.

    I love this passage and it really opened my eyes and changed my prayer life. My prayers went from "I want another child" to "I want R to agree to try for another child" to "I want Your will for my family and marriage, whether that is a child or not." I love that God used our IF journey to teach me to desire Him above everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayers have always been asking for it to be God's will for us to have children, of course I know it's his will not ours. Now my prayers are that we would love to have children but to guard our hearts and guide us in whatever path he chooses for us. This is so tough!! I hope that our lives won't remain childless but if for whatever reason that is the plan for us we need the strength to go through that and only the Lord can give us that. I think our prayer lives will continue to change all of the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That book sounds like an awesome read. I think you are going to relate to a lot of people with this post. In fact, I got so tired of praying for the same thing (a baby) that I finally gave up...or re-directed my prayers I should say to just praying for peace. It was only then that I realized how precious just having peace despite not getting what I wanted was. It was crazy. God wasn't giving me what I'd wanted deep down inside STILL but the fact that I started getting this incomprehensible peace here and there became an even bigger blessing at times. At that point I just kept praying for peace and more peace....and wouldn't you know it, my original prayer was finally on it's way to being answered. I'll never understand the losses, or the rhyme/reason behind the journey in full, but I really do think re-directing our prayers can be pretty powerful sometimes, because it shows God we understand what truly matters....even more than getting "what we want."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, you always grace us with such beautiful and inspiring posts. I've certainly gone through a lot of struggles with faith over the years and feeling like I'm not heard, or ignored. It seems I've been surrounded by loss for a long time. It is hard to focus on what's important and keeping that faith alive. I will always, always pray for you and Sam and your happiness. That a baby finds it's way into your arms, because that's exactly what you deserve, my friend. I cannot wait for that day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce Meyer wrote a book called the Simple Power of Prayer and I loved it! You should check it out :)\

    waitingforbabybird.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking of writing a post about my relationship with God, the church and prayer. Things seem so complicated though, that it's hard to know where to start...and even scarier, when I do start where that leads me.

    I appreciate your post and the information from that book. Gives me some food for thought. And maybe another prompt to put some effort into figuring things out a little more for myself.

    I am hoping your prayers get answered with something better than you could have even hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This spoke right to my heart! I have been struggling with prayer lately. It is easy for me to pray for others and I pray all the time, but I'm tired of praying for myself. I feel equal parts whiney like I ask for too much and also flustered like it's a waste of time because my prayers always seem to go unanswered. I just need a win every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good (and heavy) post!!! You could probably write a million pages on this topic!!! Love your passion though - despite if God answers our prayers or not - He is still God and we must continuing asking and knocking!! I believe He can, I believe He will and even if He doesn't - I still believe!!! Keep on asking girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an great post. I feel like we have all been there with our Faith at one time or another. I remember falling to my knees in tears every month when that one pink line stared back at me. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. That book sounds pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh prayer .... You sum it up. "I know You already know this but... I know You're going to do what You're going to do but ..." I know He's on our side. Easy for me to say, huh? No, but really. He's got something going on. But - damn - does it hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amanda, I could have written these words myself this time last year. Over the past 3 years, I have prayed for, pleaded with and cried out to God over why He would allow me to continually get pregnant only to take my babies home with Him after we saw each little heartbeat. I spent a lot of time angry with God and feeling that He just wasn't listening. Little did I know that He hand-picked Finn to be our baby boy. Every detail of the adoption could have only been planned by Him. While I was crying on the floor of the room that was to be our nursery after each pregnancy loss, He was working behind the scenes and His heart was breaking right along with mine at the fact that I couldn't see it yet. I know that He is working behind the scenes in your story right now. It's really hard and the waiting seems endless. At times it feels hopeless and you honestly can't see how it'll ever happen. But know that He is working. Through the pain and the tears and seemingly unanswered prayers. He is writing your story. You WILL bring your sweet baby home and when you hold him or her in your arms- it will be so incredibly worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so relate to this post. I think my prayers have probably suffered due to the years of praying to get pregnant and have a baby. There are times I say that I should pray for the opposite of what I really want because what I pray for doesn't happen. I did read something that helped me and helps me remember to pray even though it may seem like my prayers don't even make it to the ceiling. I hope it is okay to share it with you:


    Sharon’s fifty-six-year-old father, suffered a major heart attack one day at work. As a result of a lack of oxygen to the brain, he was in a coma for a week. Many friends and family members prayed and fasted, he received multiple blessings, and his name was placed on the prayer roll at multiple temples, but, regardless of these efforts, it was his time to die. As the months passed, we came to some measure of peace regarding his early and unexpected death.

    At the time, Sharon was working with the young children at church. It was her turn to teach the children, and the topic was “God Hears and Answers My Prayers.” We talked a lot about that lesson and the dilemma it presented for her.

    Sharon said, “I know God hears and answers our prayers, but if in the end He is going to do what is His will, why should I pray for what I want and need? My dad died anyway because it was God’s will. My prayers have not been the same since he died.”

    If you have not yet experienced that kind of despair in your prayers, you likely will. For some of you that moment is now.

    So what did Sharon teach the children? Up until the night before she was not sure what to say. When the day came, she simply taught, through her tears, “I know that God hears and answers every prayer. He does not always give us the answer we want, and that really hurts. But I believe you will do better in your life by praying than by not praying. That is why I pray every day.”


    This is a good reminder to me as to why I pray. Maybe it will help you too :)
    Thank you for this post! I wish I could say I don't relate to the things you share in it, but I do. I hope your prayers for a baby are answered soon! Sorry for the long comment.

    ReplyDelete