The months just keep passing, no matter what I do. Somehow, my itty, bitty baby went and turned 7 months old. For a thousand reasons I want to freeze time and never let him grow one minute older. This is
such a sweet age. We're starting to really see his personality and it absolutely melts my heart. I wish he could just stay exactly like this forever. But then there are a million things that I'm looking forward to...watching his first movie together, reading a book together before bed that he actually acknowledges rather than trying to slobber on the pages, introducing him to Harry Potter, taking him to Disney World...there's just so many things I can't wait to do. The fact that the days speed by faster than ever is slightly less depressing when I think about all of the amazing things he will experience in the coming years.
Nicknames: Bupsie, Bubba, Bubs...we're narrowing it down to a theme here.
 |
| Really excited about these monthly pictures now. |
Stats: I don't have official numbers this month, but he came in at 15 lbs 3 oz and 25.5 inches long at home…so a little less than a pound and about a half inch of growth in a month. Nothing earth shattering here. Still hanging out around the 5th percentile. He is still in size 2 when he wears disposable diapers and he's still in size 3-6 month clothes. I expect we'll be here for a while.
 |
| I'd really like to eat that phone! |
Eating: Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd lost weight the way he's been eating. He's been teething since Labor Day. He now officially has two teeth, but man, getting those suckers out was basically a food strike. He was NOT interested in the bottle.
 |
| Don't worry about me, mom! Look at my rolls. |
We finally started solids. We're trying to go with the baby led weaning approach, but I currently feel like a mega failure in terms of solids. My pediatrician about lost her mind when I said I hadn't started solids at his 6 month appointment...she thought we were very behind. While I know BLW takes a different stance on timing, I
am worried that he's behind. I know he would do better and improve faster if he had more practice, but currently we're doing really good to get one meal a day in with solids. I have about an hour, maybe an hour and a half if he naps poorly with him awake in the evenings during the week. Somehow I'm supposed to do physical therapy, eat dinner as a family, give him a bath, read a book, and give him a bottle all within that period of time...it doesn't give a lot of time for him to just play with his food. But he'll get there. I'm going to ask daycare if they can start doing a feeding at school. Thus far he's had banana and avocado in terms of BLW. He definitely prefers avocado (little weirdo). Oddly, he's much better at feeding himself with a spoon right now than finger foods. I load the spoon and hand it to him. He gets it to his mouth right side up more than 75% of the time. So far he's tried oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and apples. We're going to try cucumbers and sweet potato sticks next.
 |
| Doubling up on those spoons! |
Sleeping: Garrison continues to nap terribly to the point I wonder if it's even worth sticking to the schedule and fighting for naps. Some days, I'm so desperate for him to nap that I just hold him the entire time. This is the only way we come close to 45 minutes or longer. Otherwise it's typically 15-30 before he pops his head up like a little gopher. I can't complain too much though because Garrison continues to sleep well at night. There's typically a night or two each week where he wakes up between 4 and 6 o'clock in the morning...those days are obviously not my favorite. All in all though, I'm so thankful for a baby that sleeps through the night.
 |
| A brief visit to daycare during lunch. We decided to practice sitting. |
Likes: Garrison still enjoys bath time, so I think we'll need to find some bath toys soon. He gets super frustrated that I won't let him sit up in the bath, but my little guy continues to be a terrible sitter and the bath does NOT feel like the place to practice.
 |
| Give me a kiss ma'! Ooo, and give me some of your HAIR! |
All in all, Garrison likes things that he can put in his mouth (mom's hair, cat hair off the floor, spoons, really anything is fair game) and toys that make noise. If it lights up AND makes noise, his little mind is blown and he can't stop smiling...for approximately five minutes until he wonders where his mom is and why she's not sitting RIGHT beside him.
 |
| Exhausted and full after his first tailgate. |
Dislikes: I think Garrison mostly doesn't like to be tired...that's really when I feel like he's most cranky. Which to that I say, "take a FREAKING nap!" This kid just doesn't know how good he's got it. Imagine getting time painstakingly carved out of your day for you so that you can nap not once, not twice, not THREE times. At no other time in your life does someone so carefully help and encourage napping. He's going to regret skipping all of these naps one day.
 |
Garrison at his first Georgia game.
He was a teeny bit more excited than pictured. |
Looking forward to: It's
almost October, my very favorite month of the year. We have a LOT to pack into this month. I have plans for a mini session of family photos, taking Garrison to a corn maze, getting his picture taken in front of a million pumpkins (because obviously), dressing him up in his ADORABLE Halloween costume, and celebrating our birthdays. It should be a really great month.
I continue to be simply amazed that this little love is mine forever and ever and ever. The pain and sadness are beginning to pale in the presence of such radiating happiness. He is the best thing about my day and I know that we are so fortunate to call this beautiful boy our son! Seven of the absolute best months!
Ahhh love all of these developments!! I felt the same way about not having time for BLW at first. Most weeks we were lucky to get her to try/play with food like 3 weeknights a week...so I tried to get lots of extra meals in on the weekends. Eventually it all worked out and our pediatrician stopped looking at us like we were neglectful aliens. ;) Now we just need a picture of those hard-earned teeth!!
ReplyDeleteI think BLW sounds great - you'll figure it out! And, I think more kids are bad nappers than good nappers. Try not to stress too much (easier said than done!) Mine took craptastic naps most his little life than really got better once he got to 2 naps a day.
ReplyDeleteWow 7 months already? Unbelievable! He gets cuter with each month :)
ReplyDeleteI always look forward to your posts! He's just such a cutie!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if it's a regional thing, but my pediatrician told me in clear terms that in no circumstances am I to start solids before 6 months. I saw one source that said introuducing solids is really for just eating practice, and not nutrition. Harvey Karp actually described it as entertainment, and he quoted that at 6 months 95 percent of calories should come from milk/formula and at 9 months it should be 75/25 and 50/50 by one year. You guys are doing fine.
ReplyDeleteWhat Jane said. I remember one mom quoted in the BLW book, flat-out lying to her pediatrician about how her 8 months old daughter was eating 3 meals per day, when in reality she wasn't interested in anything but milk. And still turned out fine.
ReplyDeleteI need to hold SB for decent naps, too. And I have to admit I enjoy cuddling my peacefully sleeping baby ;)
Ohhhhhhh precious little guy! Hard to believe 7 months has passed already!
ReplyDeleteHe is the MOST adorable!
ReplyDelete