Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Sisterhood of Motherhood

Before Garrison came into my life, it felt like there was this members only club, one that nearly EVERYONE got to be a part of, but ironically I could not join. I felt like an outsider forever looking in, pressing my nose up to the glass on the comings and goings of the mom club. Now I'm actually a member of this sisterhood; I'm on the other side of the glass; I can see the inner workings of this group, and I can say this: moms are kind of intense.

I'm sure you've all seen that Similac commercial... the one that had moms boo-hooing for weeks and sharing is across social media. If not, you can see it here.



The commercial first went viral when I was not a mom, when I was still an outsider looking in at this Sisterhood of Motherhood. I remember thinking two things (while not crying in the least): 1- moms can't really be THAT bad because the commercial portrays them as slightly psychotic women with one track minds (i.e. I only care about breastfeeding. Or I only care about baby-wearing), and 2 - I hope it doesn't take a runaway baby stroller to make moms help one another. 

Now first of all, I have to point out that for the last three years of my life, I've lived in this kind of female utopia, at least within the blog world. I know that women are women, whether moms or not, but the infertility community has just been SO supportive of me over the last few years. I know some have experienced hurtful, spiteful comments from fellow infertiles, but I've never experienced it, and very rarely seen it with my own eyes. Rather, what I have seen is a community that is FOR each other, even when we don't necessarily agree. Not everyone agreed with my decision to do IVF, but my sisters still supported me. They loved me for me, and the means by which I tried to start a family were secondary. The same was true of adoption... adoption can be a scary, taboo type of word in the infertility community, and I doubt everyone thought it was the right choice for me to make, but I never heard a word otherwise. I was supported from beginning to end. Apparently this was paradise... in the real world, women often have fangs. 

I also have to add that I was REALLY sheltered from the mom world. Part of that was intentional on my part, as I didn't want to read mommy blogs or parenting books while I was waiting and hoping, and part of it was because I had relatively few really close friends here locally that were moms. So when I was thrown into the deep end, and earned the title of  "mom" in six seconds, I seriously had NO CLUE what was going on. CIO, Ferber, Attachment Parenting, BabyWise... It all meant NOTHING to me. Seriously. I mean I'd heard of "Ferber" sure, but it rhymed with Gerber, and no one hates that, so I had no idea that there was any more to say on the issue. My first (and still only) parenting book was loaned to me the morning I left for Florida. Erika ever so generously packed a diaper bag filled with tons of things I never would have thought to take to Florida. What she gave me was literally all I had at the time. In the bag was her favorite book that helped her with getting her daughter to sleep. I had no idea that this book aligned with a particular parenting strategy, no clue that it was in opposition to other parenting theories. I didn't choose the book because I strongly felt pro one direction or another. Rather, what I heard was my friend, who was a great mom and had already been through a similar process telling me "this book will help the baby (and me) sleep." Well sign me up! That was it... seriously. So you can imagine my dismay when the very act of reading a book stirred up other women (complete strangers) enough to comment. I didn't realize that by reading one book instead of another that I was setting up camp with one group of moms (and apparently giving the finger to others).

My first experience with this came while I was at the hotel in Jacksonville out reading by the pool. It had been a looonnngg day of Garrison hysterically crying for no discernible reason and I was desperately in need of a break. My mom offered to watch him so I could take a breather. I went and sat out by the pool with Erika's copy of The Happiest Baby on the Block, finally finding time to find out what makes a happy baby, because I was obviously FAILING. My baby was the farthest thing from happy. It wasn't ten minutes later when the comments started, "Ooo, you don't want that book; your baby will be so spoiled." And then "I did Babywise (to which I'm thinking what the junk is "babywise?" I'm trying to make him happy... I've got plenty of time to make him wise.) and my baby slept through the night at 8 weeks." It became clear with a little research later that the author of these two books The Happiest Baby on the Block and Babywise are pretty much in direct opposition to one another and that divides women into two camps. There are other books obviously; some are more similar to one, and others are more of their own thing. But all in all, the line gets drawn (on this issue) based on how you respond to and interact with your baby. Camp A FIRMLY believes that you must run (don't walk) as soon as your baby cries and soothe them back into a womb like state because your baby wasn't mean to handle the outside world yet. Your life is drastically altered and basically revolves around baby, BUT these behaviors will help your baby transition into the world and feel safe, protected, and loved. Sounds pretty great to me. Group B takes a very different stance and says that as the parent you handle the schedule and the way your baby interacts and meets the world. They say that by creating a schedule and a cycle of eat/play/sleep, you will help your baby adjust to this new world of days and nights and new stimulation. This group believes that predictability will help your baby feel secure. Also sounds pretty great. Honestly, I see good things about both groups, and don't feel strongly connected to either. But regardless, it's ridiculous to think that someone's choice in reading material lets you know what kind of parent she will be.

There have been several other instances in which I was basically attacked by complete strangers for my parenting choices. My favorite is always the formula deal. I've expressed my interest in and appreciation for breastfeeding before, so while I do understand some of the the thoughts behind these comments, it's just CRAZY that women think they have the right to comment and judge how I feed my baby. "Did you know breast is best, honey? she asks while I try to soothe a hysterical baby in the middle of the aisle in Target by shaking up a pre-measured bottle of formula. I want to say "Well, you see my breast is not best. It's empty. I adopted him. Thanks for bringing up a sore spot as I stand here in front of a wall of confusing formulas trying desperately to ascertain what the hell is different about each one and which will be best for my gassy, grumpy, sensitive little dude"... just ughhhh. I've even had women try to enlighten me about inducing lactation. Seriously? He was like ten weeks old at the time. We're not starting the absurdly hard and long process to induce lactation with NO guarantees that it'll work and NO guarantees that two plus months from now, he'll even understand the concept of breastfeeding. The idea that milk comes out of boobs would be news to him, let me tell you.

Those are instances directed at me, but I've seen so many instances were moms jumped on other moms for their parenting choices. I joined a Facebook group that I knew NOTHING about except that a local friend recommended it. When I was sent the guidelines by the group leader, I remember thinking that she was a little intense, but nothing particularly stuck out in terms of the type of group I was entering. Now when I go back and read it, it's so clear, but to novice me in the first week of parenting it just sounded like a group of moms in my city. What I didn't know is that when you move into one camp, you find friends, companionship, and help in navigating through parenthood... that's the really great part of a group like this. The less desirable thing that comes with planting your flag in one camp or another (at least in my opinion) is that you find a lot of women talking about how "the others" are misguided at best, and bad parents at worst. Really!?!?!

The group I joined believes in "gentle parenting" and apparently that means things like gentle discipline, extended breastfeeding, baby wearing, co-sleeping, and low intervention birth. The truth of the matter is that this is probably not the right group for me. I do believe in gentle discipline, but extended breastfeeding to me would mean a year and I get the feeling that's not what we're talking about here (not to mention, I'm not breastfeeding at all. See above). I do think baby wearing is nice, but use my stroller just as much. I don't want to co-sleep at all. I've never wanted to, but now that I have a squirmy, hot, grunty baby, co-sleeping sounds like hell. And low intervention births? Yeah, when I was a teenager watching a thousand episodes of A Baby Story, a warm bath, bouncy ball, soft music, and massage looked glorious, but the me who has lived through four years of infertility? Yeah, she'd be going with the absolute safest means necessary with every doctor on call or present in the room. Let's just go ahead and have an entire hospital staff on call and waiting just outside the birthing suite in a state of the art hospital with a Level Four NICU team standing by. That's how we'll roll if we ever birth a baby. So admittedly, I don't really agree with everything (or even half) or what's being said in the group, but it's been enlightening (and disheartening) to see the conversations that take place in this private group.

In one situation, a mom, who to me sounded like a first time mom, struggling with a fussy baby, and desperate for sleep, posted asking if anyone had experience with Babywise. I doubt she knew the flood gates that she would open with those few words, but she was all but crucified. It got so heated that the leader had to cut the comments off (which then pissed more people off). The behavior of grown women was so absurd all because a fellow mom asked a simple question. I felt absolutely awful for this mom. I'm sure she just didn't understand that to this group "Babywise" is the exact opposite of "gentle parenting" as many of the women in the group align the practice of cry it out with child abuse. In my opinion, that's a gross over simplification and generalization. I know a lot of moms who have used the teachings in Babywise and all of them are rock stars. Not one of them is abusive. None of them allowed their babies to become dehydrated for the sake of keeping a schedule. They all have happy, healthy children. Calling these friends abusive parents without even knowing them simply because they chose to allow their four month old baby to fuss in his crib for half an hour would be like calling baby wearing moms abusive for risking their child's muscle and bone development by wearing them too much.

Similac made a cute, satirical commercial about a real serious issue to me. Moms are drawing lines left and right and claiming with extreme passion and authority that THIS is the way to parent. The issues are wide and deep and ever so divisive. Everything from traditional weaning vs baby led weaning (or never weaning) to cloth diapering vs disposable diapering. And holy moly, don't, for the love of God, mention stay at home moms vs working moms. Just about every parenting decision appears to be reason enough to go to war if you find someone who does things differently than you. It's frustrating. As a woman, and now a mom, I want us to be better than this.

Truth be told, if I could parent any way I wanted to and everything I tired worked (ha), I'd wear my baby for ease and comfort, but I'd still have and use a stroller because OMG my back and have mercy- boob sweat. I'd breastfeed my baby for nutrition, but also for the lack of a billion bottles to clean. I'd work part time, maybe 3-4 hours a day, enough to allow me to feel productive and have adult interaction while allowing my baby to socialize, and also giving me the freedom to spend more time with my baby (and get more done at home). I'd hold and snuggle my baby for hours everyday, because the snuggly baby doesn't last nearly long enough. I'd have a loose schedule, one that allowed for variation and freedom to go and do, while still helping me predict the day and keep order. I'd have my baby sleep in his own room in his crib, as co-sleeping scares the dickens out of me, and room sharing means tons of baby junk all over my room, and crappy, disjointed sleep for me. I'd let my baby have a paci because self soothing is important to me. I'd cloth diaper because yay Mother Earth and yay my wallet, but I'd also hire someone to clean my house every few weeks because laundry is a full time job. I'm not one type of mother. I feel free to pick and choose the things that I enjoy and that help me be a better mom. 

In general, I think moms are doing the best that they can. Parenting is hard in every stage of life. I have three thoughts on why moms react and behave antagonistically towards one another. First, I think many moms are looking for validation. They want to feel good about the choices they make. When someone chooses differently than they do, they can feel defensive, but really they are just feeling unsure of themselves. I'm guilty of this one. I don't typically respond at all, but I've caught myself numerous times feeling defensive of why I've made choice X and not Y. My second hypothesis is that moms over-zealously want to share what worked for them. They want it to come across as helpful advice, but we all know that "helpful" advice, be that on parenting or infertility is rarely helpful. A good rule of thumb is if the person didn't specifically ask for advice, they are probably not seeking yours. And lastly, some moms are unfortunately just jerks. They are mean, spiteful, and use harsh words towards other moms out of a sense of power and authority. Let's be real. Moms are people first, and in every people groups, there are jerks. Moms are no exception. But in general, I think moms are trying their best; they just fail to appropriately love on one another, especially if that "other" has made different choices.

I for one am claiming now that I will not engage in the "mom wars." If you want to wear your baby twenty hours a day, cool... that's between you, your pediatrician, and your physical therapist. If you want to breastfeed in public until your kid is four, that's fine... I'll probably avoid you during snack time, but in between, we can hang out. If you want to feed your baby formula rather than breastmilk, go forth... many a baby has been fed by far weirder and worse things than a can of formula. Let's call these things what they are: parenting choices. It's not abuse. If we want to talk about abuse, all you need to do is turn on the news and you'll find plenty of real cases of child abuse to get fired up about. Let's decide to use our voices as females, mothers or not, for good. To bring awareness to things that we're passionate about, to help others in need, and to build one another up. There's enough out in the world trying to tear us down. We don't need to do that to one another. Let's agree to help a mom out before the baby stroller rolls away.

25 comments:

  1. Hi, you have no idea who I am, but I have been reading your blog for awhile. This post is so incredibly written. Great words. I am a first time mom, and have wanted to shout all of this from the rooftop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That commercial made me shake my head because it is dead on. The mommy wars are ridiculous and the camps that have been created are the same favor of cliques seen in highschool. I've also been on the end of being attacked for parenting style choices and have received comments from complete strangers. Sadly, what tends to halt most is pulling the twin card, but it's still hard.

    One benefit of infertility is it helped me become very unapologetic about decisions. Anyone who walks this road for any amount of time learns how to do this, but I know you are extremely experienced. So pay these strangers no mind. Because at the end of the day, what matters is what works for your family. And I'm certain you're doing an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, those mom wars sound intense! Sorry about some of the hurtful comments you got from strangers. There's a facebook group for english speakers in my town (i live in Germany) and it seems to be filled with moms and there have been lots of arguments over breast feeding versus formula and sleep training methods etc etc! People seem to fall into two camps like you say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did someone really say that to you in the Target aisle? AUGGHHH. I hate how many of these things are even labeled as choices. I would probably choose to breastfeed for over a year, but my daughter screamed at my boobs from months 2-4, and that quickly taught me that I don't have as many choices as I thought I did in this parenting thing. I love wearing her (though yeah, holy crap boob sweat), but she doesn't always love that either. And I really don't want to do much CIO, but I have to admit that sometimes she really needs me to leave her for a few minutes and let her cry out her stress and anger. Afterwards, she's ready for her paci and soothing and can be rocked to sleep. I do my best to make good choices, but my baby influences a lot of those, and at the end of the day I do what works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good point Rebecca! So much of it is what your baby will allow, tolerate, etc. There are times when I'm most interested and in need of baby wearing that he just. won't. have. it. And other times (usually when he and I are both 1,000 degrees and the AC is struggling to keep up) that I can't put him down. So hot, sweaty, baby wearing it is. I get to "choose" a lot less than I thought. : )

      Delete
  5. As a mom who will have a 15&17yr old when my 3rd baby is born, I plan to avoid any and all such groups and conversations. When I became a mom, these same conversations happened en masse in my church's nursery, and I quickly felt overwhelmed, but drawn to these conversations. I look back and wish I'd focused less on the comparisons etc. Your post is insightful and right on about validation. Now I plan to enjoy my baby to the fullest, going with what works for US. And not paying attention to the chatter! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm loving reading your posts, from the mom perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well said. The "mommy wars" are crazy. Enjoy your sweet little one and do what works for you guys. I had all these grand ideas of how I would be as a parent and then I brought my newborn home and let's just say even at two days old he had a mind of his own and my grand ideas went right out the window. We went into survival mode as we suffered through colic, lactose intolerance and allergies. "Our style" is a combo of many different things. Neither of my kids slept for longer than 4 hours at a time during the night until they were three but you adapt and manage. Today my kids are 4 & 6. They are happy, bright and I'm finally relishing 8 - 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to toss you into such an early controversy!! I never thought that book was controversial- I think I saw it at a yard sale or something and thought it sounded interesting and recalled hearing people mention it before (haha, maybe they were talking TRASH about it and I just forgot that part!!), so I got it and liked it and that is that. I also read (from the library) The Baby Whisperer, which is more eat-activity-sleep cycle, so we incorporated that with our HBOTB philosophy...and anyway, that's that. If the years of infertility and adoption drama taught me anything, it's to not waste a bunch of emotional energy on stuff that doesn't matter. What parenting books other people read fall firmly into that camp. :) And I would have punched that lady at Target!! Oh geez!! I must say, I've encountered far less (direct, verbal, anyway) criticism for formula-feeding than I had anticipated!! Maybe people judge silently, and for that...I thank them. Don't nobody have time to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have learned from reading infertile turned mom blogs that it pretty much sounds like baby will decide what things will work best. Even as far as the birth plans ya know? It seems like women have plans for what they feel is right and how they want things to go (rightfully so) and then that doesn't end up happening most of the time. Anyway, all that to say it's whatever works for each mom and baby the best and I'm sure you are a wonderful mom to Garrison :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never commented before, but I love this post. And I think your parenting style is similar to mine... more go with the flow. :) About a year ago, I joined a car seat safety group not realizing how hard core it was. For the record, I'm all for car seat safety. I happened to mention that I was considering renting a car seat while on vacation and the flood gates opened. Holy. Moly. I had to leave the group. Point is, there's advice and then there's shaming. Moms have a hard enough time without being judged for their parenting choices. Congratulations of baby Garrison! You're doing an amazing job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always, such a great post. You really nailed this one Amanda. Seriously, I hope this one goes viral becaus it's amazing. It's unbelievable how heated conversations get in those groups when it usually just starts with a mom asking for a little advice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I felt like I had some idea about what I wanted to do and that all changed once I met my little guy (it was let's get through this day!). We are all just doing our best, who am I to judge someone else's decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously? Could you have written a better post? Ugh this has been on my mind a lot. Some of those mom sites (unfortunately I write for one but only as an infertility and now pregnant after infertility blogger) and made the decision that after the baby is born, I will get off all mommy sites. Those mommy wars are serious stuff. So I'm now standing up here clapping as loud as I can for you because YOU are who I will be. You're doing a fantastic job with Garrison and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And I can't believe those comments you received from people. Especially the one at Target. Really? It amazes me that moms can act like that to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a really well written post. I am still struggling with infertility to have my own baby, but I am a step parent to a 7 year old. Unfortunately the judgment and drama doesn't stop after the baby stage. Its amazing how everyone has an opinion on what is best for your child...that they barely know. You are obviously doing a really good job of finding balance. Congrats on your little bundle of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfectly said like usual, you are so great with your words. We definitely got advice from everyone and took everything with a grain of salt. Everyone has opinions. I think it's best to do what works for YOU and YOUR BABY! Twins are definitely a handful, so some advice for us was great and helpful, but criticism on parenting and what you HAVE to and SHOULD do is often times unwarranted and not helpful. From what I can see, you look like you are doing a great job with Garrison! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved your post and I can't believe someone said that to you. I've got the stares for giving my 2 year old a bottle walking through Target or why don't I put him in speech because he has so few words, etc. I just figure at some point we all stop drinking out of a bottle and we all learn to talk. How and when I get him there is my business. I have two kids, 2&3 and I never read a baby book, mainly because I never found the time but also I just thought we could figure it out, you find what works best for you and everyone else can suck it. I do have the what to expect app and post here and there on my kids birth month/year but I steer clear of vaccination, breastfeeding and car seat posts. They get heated and I don't really care to get involved, I'm 41, I don't need to argue like high school girls. Don't get me wrong I read every post because who doesn't like a little drama! Anyway, sorry this was long. Love your post and you sound like an amazing mom and person.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great! (Your writing, that is... Not the mommy wars; those suck.) I remember getting snide comments about formula feeding... As an adoptive mom who already felt left out in the never ending convos on pregnancies and birth stories, that felt like salt on the wound. I ascribe to a "live and let live" philosophy, but I can't claim total innocence: I admit to getting a little internally judge-y about things I consider safety issues. P.S. What is it about Target that invites people to completely ignore social boundaries and common decency?? This type of stuff always happens to me there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a mom who went from scheduling a baby to co sleeping for survival excellent post. To each their own. I am still twice a day breast feeding a 19 month old in private. She prefers her crib to our bed so I know the breast feeding will end soon. In the meantime I am enjoying this while we have it. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So very well written! Thank you for your honesty and insight :) All moms need to start lifting one another up and celebrating that we have choices and can find what works best for our baby and our family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a beautiful post Amanda.

    My philosophy when giving birth was "Here are my hopes, dreams, and plans but the baby will have the kind of birth it decides to have." And that was so true when our son was born in a way neither my husband or I could have imagined. And that has basically been parenting for us from then on. Here are our plans but really, what does your child need?! What does your lifestyle dictate? What do your circumstances require of you? What does your personality mean about how you will parent?

    And since everyone's circumstances and lifestyles are so different, that means our parenting is going to be really different too.

    I have loved (well, okay, mostly loved!) being a stay at home mom for the past four years but my friend is going back to work (by choice) when her baby is 9 months old because she doesn't like being a stay at home mom. If either of us was forced into each other's decisions, we would be miserable. But they work for us.

    Although I have to say your ideal parenting style of "a little from here, a little from there" sounds about perfect to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. One group I'm a part of like to refer to "CTFD", which is "Calm The **** Down" parenting. I like that approach. :.) It is crazy, and the weirdest thing for me is how people forget how to friend. You never know who you might be totally in step with but who will absolutely turn on you for one disagreement. I'm now estranged from a childhood best friend--the friend from whom I was practically never apart for seven years, the friend who asked me to officiate her wedding--because, as part of a general personality change, she became very weird on parenting subjects. When I told her I bought a car seat, she asked which one, and before I could answer, she actually said, "I'm not just asking to be curious; I really care about it." Other things happened, and eventually, we had nothing to say to each other, because she couldn't handle any choices that weren't what she would make.

    I'm lucky I've made a mom-BFF, because we were both a little wary of this exact thing when we first started hanging out, especially because we're both fairly crunchy but definitely not 100%. But I remember the day when I felt courageous enough to mention that I'd looked at joining the local "gentle parenting" group and decided not to because they seemed a little extreme to me, and she tentatively agreed. Then we had a stilted conversation along the lines of, "Well, and they just seemed, you know..." "Yeah, like, a little... I get the feeling that..." "I wasn't sure that it... I..." and we kind of both blurted out at the same time, "I don't think they vaccinate!" We both breathed a HUGE sigh of relief that we weren't going to find we were on opposite sides of *that* drama. We differ a little bit--they sleep trained, we weaned off the bottle and pacifier between 12 and 18 months, and she's a SAHM so there's a lot that I think we would have done the same if I hadn't had to make it work with working out of the home full-time (like longer breastfeeding), but we definitely occupy the same sort of parenting space, and the longer we're friends, the more similar we realize we are, particularly in respecting each other's agency to make her own parenting decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I dreamed of co-sleeping for naps and stuff--man, nothing doing!! My daughter, our first, simply would not hear of it. When she was very little, nobody got any sleep, but we did get plenty of bruises. Once she was even a little bit older, she wouldn't sleep, and most of the time she would scream if we even tried to bring her in our bed.

      Delete
  22. I wouldn't have had the restraint you did with the woman from Target, I would have said those words to her and then some. I read Happiest Baby on the Block while babysitting for my cousin many years ago, and I think the concept of the 4th trimester makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Girl! You just described my foray into the mommy wars! What you described is the entire reason I started my new blog www.moderatemomma.com. We are all coming at motherhood from different angles (socially, economically, spiritually) and are doing our best. I'm all for meeting in the middle and recognizing that what works best for me, might not be the best for someone else. Welcome to the sisterhood, Amanda!!!

    ReplyDelete