Things can change fast in the adoption world, really, really, really fast. I left you last time with the news that we were not chosen by the expectant mother. A LOT has changed since then! So let's just get to it as I'm too tired to draw this out and add any suspense.
I'm currently in Jacksonville, Florida with my son… yep, you read that right. My SON! How the heck did this happen? That's what you're thinking, right? Don't worry me too. I've lived it and I still don't fully understand how all of this happened. The last seven days have been filled with the most surreal moments of my life. Friday, February 27th was the day we found our we weren't chosen. That was admittedly a very low day. I was crushed for a lot of reasons, and really just emotionally spent. It had been a week since I'd heard we were one of two couples, a week of praying, preparing, worrying, losing sleep… such highs to such lows. After that Friday, I was just kind of numb. Every case that I received from our consultant just seemed so hopeless and pointless (and expensive). I was pretty down. And then on Thursday, March 5th, I got a series of emails from two different case workers with the same agency as before: could Sam and I make arrangements to call them that day? No additional details, but I knew something was up. I immediately started calling and texting Sam, but it can be very difficult to get in touch with Sam at work if he's really busy with patients. We finally made arrangements to call late that afternoon.
The phone call was the beginning of the surreal. There was a baby. Already born. He was in the NICU. There was legal risk with the birth father. The birth mother had already signed, so the agency was making the placement. I'm not going to go into too many details about his birth, or the first couple of days of life… that story is his own. Basically he was born early, exactly how early, we're not sure, but the doctors suspect about 34-35 weeks. He was 5 lbs 5 oz at birth, but quickly dropped. Within 24 hours he dropped to 3 lbs 13 oz… cue a one way ticket to the NICU. At first things looked pretty rough… potentially a month long stay in the hospital. For better or for worse, the agency decided to wait to make placement so that the couple could take on less legal risk with the birth father. In Florida, a birth father has 30 days to come forward after being served. This birth father wasn't served until after the birth, which means any couple coming forward would have to be willing to take on that risk. The agency felt it was in the best interest of the adoptive parents to let the NICU stay and the period of legal risk run out, or close to it, before making a match. But the little man did far better than expected and by that Thursday, just a little over a week after he was born, he was moved into the NICU Step Down, basically NICU-lite. He was up a full pound and continuing to do better than expected. The agency suddenly needed a family in place, and they called us. In light of the medical issues and legal risk, they recommended that we take at least 24 hours to speak with a pediatrician about the medical concerns and to think on the legal risk. We agreed to do as requested.
On Friday, exactly one week after hearing that we were not selected, we both began to make plans at work, to tell our families, contact a pediatrician… it was a heck of a scramble. Particularly for me. You may remember that I recently started a new job just THREE weeks ago. Ha! When I got the call about the interview for the position, I blurted out "I'm in the process of adopting… I just need you to know that upfront!" I told them it could be two days, two weeks, or two years, but I'm not so sure they thought I was being serious on that first part. They have been amazing though, and I'm really, really thankful for everyone at the office. So Friday evening, after getting as many questions answered as possible and praying for a whole bunch of wisdom and discernment, we decided to leap. We said yes and began to make arrangements to come meet our son. We arrived on Sunday, signed placement agreements, and then finally, finally, finally met the one we've been praying for.
So yeah, I'm a mom! It feels SO surreal to say that, and I think a huge part of me is still waiting for the other shoe to drop. Thirty days is a loooong time when you're talking about your future as a family. In a lot of ways, I feel like a temporary mom, a placeholder so that he has someone other than nurses to care for him. I'm not guarding my heart in anyway… I'm all in, because what the hell, like it's going to hurt one fraction less if I somehow don't fall head over heels for this little guy. But despite being all in, I still feel weird saying I'm a mom. It will all feel a lot more real once those thirty days are up.
I imagine you're wondering if there's going to be a photo at the end of this post… you're already starting to scroll. Let me stop you; there isn't. We've kept the adoption fairly quiet for the last few days as we assessed the situation with the birth father. We've finally come to the conclusion that no matter what happens, this is just a part of our story, and no matter what, we want our friends and family to know. Things seem to be going well for us, but it could change any minute. In light of that, we've decided not to post his photo on social media our of respect for the birth family. If the birth father does come forward, I would feel absolutely terrible about positing pictures of his son all over the place for the world to see, and it's not something that I can really ever take back. Once it's out there, it's a done deal. I will tell you that he's freaking adorable! He's obviously tiny, still not at birth weight yet, but we're almost there. Believe me, I'm dying to share his picture with y'all. Until then, I'll give you his name: Garrison Carter.
I have sooooo much more to say, about the adoption process, about the NICU, about my first days as a mom, about the affects infertility has had and is having on my confidence. For now, I'm exhausted, which is great because I'm not even the one feeding him all night… there's a whole crew of nurses to do that. Know that I'm feeling ALL THE FEELS right about now, and one of those is absolutely thankfulness for all of you, for supporting me, encouraging me, and loving on me through all of this. More to come, I promise.
Wow! So many congratulations Mom! I was hoping one day you would drop a blog post like this. Love the name. So happy for you. Enjoy your son.
ReplyDeleteUnbelievable! Praise the Lord for His goodness!! Congratulations MAMA!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats, Amanda! I can't wait to see his precious face. Soak up all the joy that comes with being a mommy, you deserve it. :)
ReplyDeleteI know I'm a total stranger to you, but I have been following your story as I have been going through fertility issues as well. I just wanted to say congratulations! So glad to hear some happy news! Hope the 30 days pass quickly and you can start enjoying your new life as a mom!
ReplyDeleteTo God be the glory! Congrats to you and Sam!
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I've been following your blog since I lost my second pregnancy and found myself in the trenches of secondary infertility. I am beyond thrilled for you and will be thinking of you guys as you navigate through the next 30 days. Please keep us posted! Garrison is so lucky to have you and I'm certain you've been placed in his life for a reason.
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOSH, not what I expected to see what I pulled up your post! This is such wonderful news!! Looking forward to reading more updates about YOUR SON and will be praying for you guys! YAY!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOk, third times a charm... I have tried to comment 3 times and it keeps deleting! I am standing at the copy machine ( or I was the first time I tried to comment) sobbing for you!! Congratulations MOMMA!!!! Things do change in the blink of an eye! I'm so glad you got your blink! Xoxo
ReplyDeleteOmygosh! I have never commented here, but I follow you and AM SO HAPPY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!! YEA!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! What wonderful news, and I love the name!
ReplyDeleteAmanda!!!! Over the moon for you and Sam!!! Welcome to the world Garrison!!! Am thinking of you all as you navigate NICU and continue with the adoption process. And please let me know if you have questions or need support while in NICU. That experience is a rollercoaster all on its own.
ReplyDeleteHang in there, mama! And though it feels weird, I'm certain you're filling that title beautifully and impressively.
Isn't that just like God to do something so miraculous? Abundantly more than you could ask or imagine! YES Lord!!!! Jumping up and down for and with you!!!!!! I LOVE HIS NAME too! Keep us updated (as much as you can) Praising the Lord with you girl!!!
ReplyDeleteThere are no words for how full my heart is or how happy I am for you and Sam and for sweet little baby Garrison. Praying that your stay in the NICU is almost done and you can take that sweet little boy home where he belongs soon. I know you know that all new mommies have doubts and fears but I am absolutely positive that you are doing amazing and that you are everything that he needs. Love you friend.
ReplyDeleteI knew he had plans for you! Congratulations! I'll keep praying for you and your family that this little precious baby boy is here to stay in your arms. You deserve this Amanda!
ReplyDeleteI can't even tell you the joy, excitement, thankfulness and tears of joy I feel right now for you!! I can't even believe this, it is amazing!! God is just so very good, we just can't even fathom! Every time God blesses us, it is in a way we couldn't have possibly thought up ourselves :) Congrats Mom!
ReplyDeletewiping away tears! This news made my day. Actually I'll upgrade that to it made my week. Just bursting with pride for you and Sam. Love reading you say the words 'my son'. So much love to you all!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh Amanda, my heart stopped beating when I read this post! God is so good and I'm beyond happy for you. Will continue to pray that everything goes smoothly with the adoption and that your little boy continues to grow. Sometimes it's amazing how life works out. xoxo
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'm literally sitting on the toilet (the only time I have the chance to check my phone during the day w a baby) bawling my head off! I am soooooo thrilled and soooooo blown away by God's timing in both your and little Garrison's life! WOW! Will be praying!!!
ReplyDeleteOh how i just love love love this and I love love love you and I love love love your SON! Prayers for smooth sailing from here on out. I can't wait for more!! XOXOXO
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh. Amanda, I'm sitting here just sobbing right now. Wow, wow, wow! Your son... I can't believe it. God is so good!! Praying that everything goes smoothly and those 30 days go by fast!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI knew it! I said on your last post "in the blink of an eye" Congrats Mommy!!
ReplyDeleteoh my word girl! I always say that when God moves, He does so suddenly and He sure did! I'm so happy for you and I'm praying that everything works out! He's got this! xo
ReplyDeletewaitingforbabybird.com
Yay!!!! I loved reading this post. You're a mama, Amanda. What beautiful, happy news. And a lil man...what an amazing journey to your son. I can't wait to hear the rest of your story...until then I'll be praying that the next 30 days goes smoothly with the birth father. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteYaaaaaaay it's out!!!! :) I am just SO happy for yall and praying SO hard!! And also, a little shocked yall didn't go with Jackson (or some variation) for his name...no homage to all roads leading to Jacksonville??! Just...yaaaaaayyyyyy!!!
ReplyDeleteOh yay! I have tears I'm so happy for you! Garrison Carter is a perfect name. I love it. It's funny how things have a way of working our exactly how they are supposed to. I will pray that those 30 days fly by and that it will soon become 100% official!
ReplyDeleteWow!!! So, SO happy for you!!! What a difference one week makes!! Praying that those 30 days go by and everything is finalized! What a blessing!! Congrats on your baby boy Garrison!! xoxo
ReplyDeleteAMANDA!!!????? HOLY MOTHER!! I can't believe this!! My little guys were in the 5lb range when born, it's so petite and sweet! Oh man. Do you need some little boy clothes? We have a lot. Send me your address at my email when you get a chance (hollybenson10 at yahoo). Or, if you want to wait till it's official official let me know too. My heart is SOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU. and GARRISON???? That is way too cute. <3 Love you!!
ReplyDeleteYAY!!! We are beyond overjoyed for you and praising God for sweet baby Garrison!
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness what a story. Keeping your new little family in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you, I have tears in my eyes just reading this. I wish you the best and I have my fingers crossed for you.
ReplyDeleteYes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy for you! Oh, may the next 30 days go by in a blur!! Here in South Africa it's 90 days!! So happy yours is shorter. Blessings to you and your (now bigger) family!
ReplyDeleteBest news!!! I'm so so so happy for you and Sam! love the name too :)
ReplyDeleteTears are flowing- I am so happy. Beyond happy. Ecstatic!!! I can not wait to read you future posts. YOU ARE A MOMMY! Ahhh! Love, love, love this news. I will smile all week. :)))
ReplyDeleteWe've never met but I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. I'm so incredibly happy for you.
ReplyDeleteMay you continue to feel blessings.
What?!?! Oh my gosh! So much happiness for you!!! 💕
ReplyDeleteI had to delurk to let you know how amazing this is for you! The universe works in mysterious ways, but I am so happy for you! I hope this waiting period passes in a blink and you can take your son home!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, so amazing! I am a "new" follower (lurker?) of your blog and I am just so very happy for you and your family. Such happy news.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Sweet prayers for your new family!
ReplyDeleteWOW WOW WOW!!! Wonderful news! Praying that the 30 days will go by quickly without incidence. Congratulations, mama!
ReplyDeleteWhat the WHAT?? This is so crazy and amazing and unbelievable all at the same time! I can only imagine the whirlwind that you guys must have gone through during the past week. Congratu-freaking-lations, mama!
ReplyDeleteCrying, rejoicing and praying! Hooray MAMA!!!
ReplyDeleteNow I'm four paragraphs in and I am just STRUGGLING (in the very best way) to get through this post. Your SON...the one you've been praying for...the one WE'VE been praying for...FINALLY. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, how FAITHFUL You are.
ReplyDeleteNot sure what happened to my first comment, but I basically said...I'm four sentences in and I cannot even handle this!!!!! The joy is just overtaking me!!! I have an half-written email to you in my outbox about how my heart is broken for you guys, how I am praying for your spirits to be lifted, etc...and now this. Praise the Lord, praise the Lord. I am praying for you guys, for your SON, for the birth parents, and everyone else who is involved. This beauty is coming from ashes...ashes that are still burning hot with grief and pain. My heart is aching over those losses and also rejoicing in the redemption story that's unfolding here.
ReplyDeleteWOW WOW WOW! Such incredible news, who knew this would happen just a few days after such heartbreak...God is so amazing in His timing. Continuing to pray, especially that these 30 days pass quickly (but not too quickly, so that you can soak up every minute!). xoxo
ReplyDeleteAmazing news!!!! Congrats!!!! Praying this all works out for you guys!! This baby needs the stability you can offer!! Can't wAit to see pics!! His name us cute! Did you guys choose it?
ReplyDeleteGod is so good! I am so happy for you and your sweet little family. Your story is such an encouragement to those waiting on the Lord and a testament to God's faithfulness and goodness. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteOh my - first, congratulations! I've been following for quite a while, you completely deserve to feel ALL the feels! Love how all of this is unfolding for you and will continue the positive thoughts and prayers throughout the remainder of your story!!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, Amanda, I am over the moon for you! What an amazing surprise and journey! I will be praying for your sweet family over the coming weeks. Baby Garrison could not be in better hands with you and Sam!
ReplyDelete😘😘😘😘
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness!!! This is so amazing! Congratulations!!! I am so so happy for you! I can't wait to see pics and hearing more! I pray that these 30 days fly by and go smoothly. What a lucky little guy to have you as his mom!!!!
ReplyDeleteI came from Amie's blog...Congratulations on your new son! What a tremendous blessing. Prayers you have no issues from the birth father on the legal side of things and that baby Garrison continues to grow into a healthy little boy!
ReplyDeleteI'm more out of the loop than I thought! Sorry I'm just seeing this, I'm so incredibly happy for you!!! What an amazing turn of events! I'll continue praying and thinking of you all! xo
ReplyDeleteAmazing! I love watching God's plan unfold for you guys! Sometimes he takes us on a roller coaster but he always makes it worth the ride! Cannot wait to see your baby and will be praying for strength for you for the next 30 days!
ReplyDeleteAmanda, I fell behind in my blog reading. I cried tears of joy reading this. Congratulations Mom! I am overjoyed for you. What a crazy ride?! Sending you and your new family prayers.
ReplyDelete