Monday, March 16, 2015

Baby Snuggles in the Sunshine State

Well, I had all of these grand plans for more posts last week after the BIG NEWS (in case you missed it, catch up here), but every day has just been absolutely packed. Between discharge day from the hospital, follow-up pediatrician appt, attempting to start a registry, trying to arrange daycare, there's just been very little down time. I'm currently holding a sleepy baby and typing this out on the blogger app (ughh). And I probably won't even proofread this (sorry).

On Thursday of last week, we got the all clear to leave the hospital. He was in the NICU (level 3 NICU) for nine days, but we missed all of that. The switch to the NICU Step Down (level 2) is actually what prompted our agency to go ahead and call us that Friday. I want to write more about the NICU experience later, but for now, I just feel like I have to say, my experience was nothing like so many others. I almost feel weird saying he was in the NICU. To me, NICU conjures up the idea of VERY sick babies... Neonatal INTENSIVE CARE UNIT. I mean if your spouse gets checked into the ICU, you'd be freaking out. I was never really all that freaked. I mean I hated all of the beeping, the wires, etc, but I was never actually concerned that anything really awful was going to happen. I was simply waiting to get out. I don't take that for granted. I know many of you have had vastly different hospital and NICU experiences. And truthfully, as I still don't have access to complete medical records, I'm not sure if his first nine days were awful and terrifying, or just routine. 

Discharge day finally came on Thursday, so I actually only had about four days in the NICU Step Down with him. He spent a total of fifteen days in the hospital. Which after just my short stint with him in the NICU, I've already learned what a blessing healthy children are. 

We're currently waiting to get cleared from Georgia to come home. I'm trying to remain calm, but I admit that I am so ready. Keeping a two week old premie in a hotel is interesting... and costs a lot of money in quarters for laundry.

Sam came down for the weekend and then went back for work last night. Bless his little hard-working heart. He's already such a good provider. I'm currently not getting paid, which obviously sucks. When I think with a rational brain, I realize that I have to go back to work. And I'm thankful that I actually really like my job, as I'm sure that will help when the time comes. But when I think about the fact that I'm already on week two of six of maternity leave, I feel like I might die. How in the world am I supposed to leave this teeny tiny baby with strangers in just five weeks?!? And they will absolutely be strangers. I have no time to set up appointments, tour facilities, anything like that. I've done what I can by asking people I trust, and I'm just praying the pieces fall into place. We're currently first in line at our top choice, but there's no way to know if that spot will open in time. And so far, a backup plan isn't working out, but something will fall into place, I'm sure. 

Motherhood is still really surreal. Mother's Day popped into my head the other day and my initial reaction was still sadness... it was about five minutes before I realized things have changed. Mother's Day won't feel like that this year. I'm not sure if I'm still in shock, or subconsciously worried about the birth father, but it definitely doesn't feel real yet. It feels like I'm babysitting for a long time. Maybe it's going to take time. We're halfway through the birth father's time and we haven't heard a word from him. Unfortunately for us, he also hasn't signed away his rights (which would end the 30 days immediately). So we wait. 

I'll certainly let you know once we're headed home... should be a really fun car ride. Thank you all for the outpouring of love and support last week. We continue to feel so blessed by all of you! Off to snuggle my itty bitty baby. I hear he won't be little for long. 

14 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're going home!!! I still remember that day so well. May the car ride be wonderful and the rest of your maternity leave be smooth. If you need longer, let us know. I have some ideas I'm happy to pass on (though they are unpaid).

    Thinking of you all and sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to know everything is going as well as can be considering you aren't home yet. Is it just me or did the time for your goal to be met run our just about the time this little one came into your life? If so that is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh...I really hope he loves car rides!! That's not a quick trip home!!! But I'm so glad he's at least 'home' to the hotel with you and you can cut out the ridiculous driving back and forth cycle!! I just can't wait to meet him!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! God is good! Praising Him for placing the PERFECT baby in your arms! So excited for you!

    Ashley
    The Mrs. & Co.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Already out of the hospital! I'm so glad your little miracle is doing so well. Hoping that all the paperwork gets sorted out quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good hearing from you! Still can't get over this goodness! So glad that things weren't too serious for the ICU and you are one step closer to going home with YOUR baby! Congrats again

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so so exciting!! It's weird what years of infertility do to you. I just found out a friend is pregnant with twins and my heart sunk, then I remembered that I have kids! Mother's day will be so awesome this year for you. It will be my first with my boys too :) So so so so so pumped. And I love how through your story we could see God bringing your son to you, even when you didn't know, with that gift of money that woman gave you. I hate frustration and feeling rejected, but I love His redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart is leaping up for you! Infertility definitely leaves its imprint on you, that's for sure. I would get jealous of pregnant women even after I had kids for just a moment. I will be holding my breath on the birth father front for you, so you just go snuggle that baby! Bite his nose a few times. It's important; it builds character.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best post ever!!!! Love that y'all are going home soon and that you're a mama to sweet Garrison.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! You all are going home! I wonder if he's going to come forward, or just let the time run out. For your sanity, I hope he comes soon so you can breathe easier. Love love this post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! You all are going home! I wonder if he's going to come forward, or just let the time run out. For your sanity, I hope he comes soon so you can breathe easier. Love love this post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still loving every single bit of this!! Can't wait to read more updates! XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. I mean could any post make me any happier!?! I think not. Continuing to pray for little Garrison to get stronger and stronger and for the next few weeks to go by with out a single hiccup. Just so thrilled with all the joy and love I hear in your words. Love ya!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear you are doing well. I am praying that favor surround you like a shield! hugs! xo

    waitingforbabybird.com

    ReplyDelete