To say I'm late in getting his twelve month/one year post together would be the understatement of the century. We're two weeks shy of fourteen months. You know it's bad when your husband says, "are you ever going to get a twelve month post together?" So, yeah. I sort of have an excuse in that a week before Garrison turned one, our entire family caught the stomach bug. We were dropping like flies. Garrison, dad, mom, grandma. It was unbelievably awful. I felt like crap for over a week. The absolute worst part of the sickness was timing. One of my most favorite people in the whole world came to Atlanta all the way from Illinois. My sweet friend A over at
Ms. Conceptions and I had been planning to finally meet in person for
months and it all fell apart thanks to the stomach bug. I am still not over this heartbreak. Then I had a MASSIVE anxiety flare up following that, which is a post all in itself, but for another day. And to top it off, Garrison followed up the stomach-bug-of-death with a 103 degree fever, double ear infections, and brochiolitis. I have
lived at the pharmacy over the last month. We just finished his THIRD round of antibiotics for the ear-infection-that-will-not-end. Needless to say, I've been running ragged just trying to keep everyone alive for a while now.
Nicknames: Bupsie, Bubs, Goobs, Goobie, Goobie Booty, Noodle, Little Love
 |
| So in love with my Little Love |
Stats: I feel like these numbers are likely only slightly accurate despite having an appointment the day after his birthday as the stomach bug was long and painful. I believe we all lost our fair share of weight that week. He was 18 lbs 2.3 oz and 27.5 inches, a whopping 2.3 oz of growth in the past month, but again, I'm almost 100% sure he lost weight that week. Those numbers continue to put us off the chart in terms of height (as in less than second percentile) and between fifth and tenth percentile for weight. His pediatrician did comment that he is very bow-legged and that there are lost inch(es) in that bow, so he'll likely grow a good bit as his legs straighten out. He's still in 6-9 month clothes and size three diapers.
 |
| Finding entertainment in the unlikeliest of items. |
The last weeks of his first year were also FILLED with teething. Absolutely filled to the brim. He has twelve teeth that are fully in and he's still working on (for over two months now) his thirteenth (his first canine).
 |
Lots and lots and lots of wagon and stroller rides as the days get warmer and the teeth got more painful. |
Eating: He eats
really well. As in he puts away full sized portions all the time. I have no clue why this kid is so small. He has some kind of superhuman metabolism. He can finish eating a meal and five minutes later see me eating and have a complete and total meltdown if I don't share. Goodbye ice cream. We had a good long run together. I also see sippy cups in my future as he's
very interested in regular drink cups these days and I don't particularly want a diet coke addict before two.
 |
| Refried beans make for great facials and leave-in conditioners. |
Sleeping: Sleep continues to be great. He's pretty consistent between 11-11.5 hours a night. He remains a crummy napper, but I will not complain as long as the nights stay gloriously peaceful.
 |
| Snuggle maps with mom in the midst of so much sickness. |
Likes: His current obsessions are balls, dog food, cabinets, peek-a-boo, dog food, plastic tupperware, being outside, oh, and dog food. He also discovered Sterling's cage while he was home sick for days on end. Now he LOVES to go get in Sterling's cage and bang the door closed 8 million times. This kid really needs no toys. Toys occupy him for four seconds. Dog food on the other hand, that could give us HOURS of enjoyment.
 |
| First time at a local park. He's a fan of swings for sure! |
Garrison continues to find "no" to be particularly hilarious and wonderful. He looks back, smiles, and then sprints as fast as he can towards whatever he KNOWS he's not supposed to do. I see some
Happiest Toddler on the Block in my future.
Dislikes: Now, 90% of the time Garrison loves to hear "no." It's just so funny to hear mom over and over and over again! But there are those times when hearing no causes him to face-plant on the floor and burst into hysterical crying. I can see that the toddler years are going to be filled with a few tantrums.
|
|
Trying out his birthday hat for his smash cake photos...not a fan.
|
Looking forward to: Well, honestly, I'm looking forward to spring and summer. Less colds, germs, and general sickness and more fresh air and sunshine. I'm looking forward to swimming in our pool and longer days. I'm looking forward to lots of firsts: first words, first swim lessons, first family vacation (maybe, please).
 |
This was as good as we got for the twelve month
photos in the midst of so much sickness. |
I'm so thankful for a GLORIOUS first year with my son. He is absolutely the sweetest little love and he takes my breath away on a daily basis. It has been such a joy to be his mom and I'm so thankful for him.
 |
| Birthday Boy and his cake. So sweet. |
A Birthday Blessing for My Baby Boy
Garrison,
We are so proud of you. At eleven days old, you weighed just under five pounds, and you had already proven that you were a fighter. In just one year, you've grown so much. But your growth is measured by far more than just inches and ounces. It's the growth we've seen as you become the little boy God made you to be that steals our breath away. You are so passionate. There's not one thing in life that you are indecisive about. We love this about you and we've excited to see what passions you develop in the years ahead. You are curious, adventurous, and so very, very determined. We know that God has wired you in this way because he has specific plans for you. We can't wait to watch as you discover what His plans are.
There are so many things we want for you in life. We want you to be happy and successful, but more importantly, we want you to be kind and compassionate to others, to recognize and embrace exactly who God made you to be, and above all, to LOVE Jesus. It is our desire to celebrate you and everything that is unique and special about you as we help you to discover just who God made you to be and what he wants for your life. Jesus loves you so much buddy, and it is our life's greatest joy to get to love you too.
Love always,
Mom and Dad
Love this update so much. Especially the sweet blessing you have for him. Absolutely beautiful how much you love your son and how your words really show it. xoxo
ReplyDeleteAhhh I love that birthday cake picture!! And I am willing to swap metabolisms with Garrison ANY day, so just let me know!!! Hopefully he and Millie will both be healthy on the same day sometime again soon so that they can continue being BFF on the playground!!
ReplyDeleteOne already?!?! Where does time go? What a sweet boy and the picture of him with his smash cake is adorable. Glad you are all better, stomach bugs are the worst! Wonderful post, glad to hear you are all happy and healthy!
ReplyDeletewiping away tears as I ready your birthday blessing! Happy Birthday to your family!
ReplyDeleteI love the birthday cake picture, so precious!! I can't believe he is one already, amazing!! What a great mama you have been to him and a great son he has been to you. Such a beautiful blessing :)
ReplyDeleteA beautiful letter to Garrison. And all those milestones! A very happy belated birthday to all of you!
ReplyDeleteHes is so beautiful! Congrats on surviving the first year as a mom, here's to many more to come!
ReplyDeleteI love everything about this post! Your beautiful birthday note to Garrison brings tears to my eyes. I'm just so happy that you are all in this place. God is so good and you my friend are so beautiful inside and out!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday, Garrison! What a sweet post (and I hope all the illnesses are behind you!).
ReplyDeleteCrazy how time flies! Happy Birthday Garrison! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm almost a month behind getting my 12-month post done too, and it's for similar reasons...Q has been sick pretty much steadily since starting day care 6 weeks ago!! He just gets over one thing and then catches another, it seems. We also find that we could get by pretty easily with no toys. Remote controls, cell phones, the spice rack, a plastic water jug...what is it with our boys?? Happy birthday Garrison!
ReplyDeleteHe's one... I can't believe he's one, sweet friend!!! And that birthday letter! What a great idea. Happy belated birthday baby Garrison!
ReplyDelete